• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R.I.P. Carl Macek you were my childhood. :{

9 posts in this topic

:sorry:

Carl Macek -- "Uncle Carl" to his admirers and even some of his detractors -- died of a heart attack on April 17, at the age of 59. His legacy in the field of animation was enormous and multilateral: He documented the creation of the groundbreaking 1981 adult animated feature "Heavy Metal" in the book "Art of Heavy Metal: Animation for the Eighties" and co-wrote its sequel, "Heavy Metal 2000."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/05/06/apop050610.DTL#ixzz0nAZ2ewDh

Carl was a very interesting and genuine person. He had ties to the comic community as far back as the late 60's and at one point in time was the Curator of a Pop-Culture Museum. Although I never met him personally, our communicatons were via email and telephone, when I read the news it made me spend some time reflecting on the interaction we had. Those times always brought a smile to my face.

Robotech seems to be the accomplishment he gets most credit for but he was more than that.

Rest In Peace.

Carl was wonderful to me as a young collector in the early '80s. He went out of his way to help us build an excellent collection and his excitement as he worked with the Heavy Metal movie was clear.

I had always hoped to cross paths with him again after returning to collecting.

God bless.

WOW.

I first met Carl at a HoustonCon in the mid '70s. He was working for The American Comic Book Company. I distinctly remember haggling with him over a high grade copy of Marvel Mystery 28 (I later realized it was the Reilly/San Francisco) which he sold me for the astounding price of $90. Saw him at shows on and off for the next few years. He popped up again in the '80s doing the anime stuff. I would run into him in San Diego and he would be all business.

Fast forward to 2002 - 2003 and he had married and moved to Houston! He walked into the shop with a big stack of comics which were Pacific Coast DCs. Yes, all those Pacific Coast books that were sold through PCE = Carl's collection. His wife hated the weather here so they were only in town for a year or so before moving (I think the downsizing of ADV Films also might have contributed).

A neat guy. I'll miss him.

I started buying books from Carl off of eBay in1999. Got into a bidding war with Roter on a Flash 137 at the time dealers weren't paying over guide 1.5X for books on eBay. I emailed Carl and asked if he had anymore books in similar condition, He said yes and I started buying the duplicates he didn't sell to PCE. After PCE's CBG ads it didn't take me long to figure out these books were from the same collection. I asked and he told me that he had sold the majority of the books to PCE. He thought the grading system PCE used was bizzare.

He would always talk about the owner in the 3rd person but I thought they were his. He kept the books in stacks and told me he could remember every story in every comic. He knew what PCE was selling the books for but continued selling to me at my original offer. A very honorable man.

When ever I received a package from him it was like Christmas beautiful high grade raw comics, Pacific Coast Collection duplicates. He even started sending me books in the packages from the late 50's that weren't in the same condition.

The last time I spoke to him was when he had just arrived in Houston.

Tom

When ever I received a package from him it was like Christmas beautiful high grade raw comics, Pacific Coast Collection duplicates. He even started sending me books in the packages from the late 50's that weren't in the same condition.

so was carl the original owner of the pacific coast collection? :o