• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any other poor shmucks like me staying away from the May Comiclink auction?

34 posts in this topic

I thought I might bid on this one, but it's already up to $1100. I know that GPA is a fair bit higher, but this still has 19 days to go. Some aggressive early bidding.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fallsub.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26id%3D4746%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D%23Item_845207&id=845207

I thought I might bid on this one, but it's already up to $1100. I know that GPA is a fair bit higher, but this still has 19 days to go. Some aggressive early bidding.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fallsub.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26id%3D4746%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D%23Item_845207&id=845207

Wow, $1100 for Howard the Duck 1 :o

I was going to send some books in, but they only wanted stuff over $300 so I declined. Maybe I'll post them here. Not sure why they set the $300 min. Most the time I go into CL to bid on some tiny books and up blowing 20 times what I set out to buy, kind of like the wife when she goes to the mall. (shrug)

There is no GPA data on a 9.8? That seems to be pretty much the best copy ever graded.... perfect for the ultimate Howard fan like you! :baiting:

I was going to send some books in, but they only wanted stuff over $300 so I declined. Maybe I'll post them here. Not sure why they set the $300 min. Most the time I go into CL to bid on some tiny books and up blowing 20 times what I set out to buy, kind of like the wife when she goes to the mall. (shrug)

They say that, but in every Featured auction there are plenty of books that don't have a chance in hell of selling for $300

There is no GPA data on a 9.8? That seems to be pretty much the best copy ever graded.... perfect for the ultimate Howard fan like you! :baiting:

Yeah, I was mistaken. No GPA, but a previous CLink sale of a 9.8 last May for $1750.

As much as I want a 9.8 copy for my set, I think $1750 for HTD #1 is not a smart investment. At least not for me.

Yeah, I was mistaken. No GPA, but a previous CLink sale of a 9.8 last May for $1750.

As much as I want a 9.8 copy for my set, I think $1750 for HTD #1 is not a smart investment. At least not for me.

Drew,

It's not a good investment for anybody

The most interesting thing about that Howard the Duck is that it's obviously been pressed (the brand new certification number combined with the Don Rosa designation is a dead give away). Once it goes for good money, more and more pressed copies will come out (and the C-Link result probably kick-started this one).

Four or five years from now, there will be 10 or more GPA results for HOD #1 and the price will be well under this. There are no, or very few, rare books in nice condition after the direct market started. And some of the future 9.8 HOD 1s will be perfectly centered.

John

Or to paraphrase from a hit show of the time that is almost unwatchable now:

"Patience, Grasshopper"

I've always wanted to know what the hell that meant.

Drew,

It's not a good investment for anybody

The most interesting thing about that Howard the Duck is that it's obviously been pressed (the brand new certification number combined with the Don Rosa designation is a dead give away). Once it goes for good money, more and more pressed copies will come out (and the C-Link result probably kick-started this one).

Four or five years from now, there will be 10 or more GPA results for HOD #1 and the price will be well under this. There are no, or very few, rare books in nice condition after the direct market started. And some of the future 9.8 HOD 1s will be perfectly centered.

John

Or to paraphrase from a hit show of the time that is almost unwatchable now:

"Patience, Grasshopper"

I've always wanted to know what the hell that meant.

I'm with you 100% on this, John. When that HTD #1 sold a year ago, the listing said it was 1 of 3 in 9.8 grade. The current Don Rosa listing says it's 1 of 5 copies. The selling price of this book in 9.8 has nowhere to go but down.

I hadn't noticed the new cert number on this copy, but your detective work is spot on. Thanks.

The prices on almost all the Marvel BA first issues are whacked thanks to the competition for the top Registry set. John's right that prices are bound to drop once the very limited number of folks vying for the crown are sated.