• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal Adams? The hottest thing on the boards right now?

87 posts in this topic

I believe that Neal actually did some training under Eisner and Lou Fine, but I can't remember for sure.

This would be interesting to know. He did go to the School of Industrial Art. When Ditko went there in the early fifties he was taught by Jerry Robinson --- but Adams (born in 1941) must have attended a decade later.

Adams is a master at anatomy and perspective. But there are artists that are better than him.

I don't think artists can be compared in terms of "better than."

Why can't they? Would you say Mark Bagley is just as good as Michaelagelo? Is Michael Bay just as a good of a director as Martin Scorsese? Yes,artists can be compared in terms of "Better than"

I believe that Neal actually did some training under Eisner and Lou Fine, but I can't remember for sure.

What Adams had in common with Eisner is that both worked for a period in commercial illustration, and this had a large impact on their work (in Eisner's case, on his later work).

I thought Neil was a scientist ? He draws comics also ?

not Neils Bohr :makepoint:

I think I met this Neils Bohr guy at a convention last year, wore a blue shirt and a tie. Ignored me for about 45 minutes then when I finally got his attention he started babbling about scientology and something like inter crater movements. Could this have been Neil or maybe L Ron Hubbard ?

Adams is a master at anatomy and perspective. But there are artists that are better than him.

Why can't they? Would you say Mark Bagley is just as good as Michaelagelo? Is Michael Bay just as a good of a director as Martin Scorsese? Yes,artists can be compared in terms of "Better than"

I guess we can just agree to disagree. There isn't anything measureable to compare artists by. In baseball we can say someone is a better hitter because they hit for a higher average, or a better slugger because they hit for more home runs, but where is the criteria for measuring artists?

Is Michaelangelo better an Da Vinci? Is Scorcese better than David Lynch? Is Tom Hanks better than Robert DeNiro? I stand by my opinion that you can't compare artists in terms of "better than" but I will respect your incorrect opinion. :baiting:

J/K :foryou:

Everybody loves Neal Adams....except when he joined the boards and got run out of dodge because of his beliefs.

doh!

the expanding earth.....

It was very depressing to me when I found out that Neal Adams is a crackpot.

Oh well.

I guess every great artist is insane to some degree...

I guess we can just agree to disagree. There isn't anything measureable to compare artists by. In baseball we can say someone is a better hitter because they hit for a higher average, or a better slugger because they hit for more home runs, but where is the criteria for measuring artists?

Is Michaelangelo better an Da Vinci? Is Scorcese better than David Lynch? Is Tom Hanks better than Robert DeNiro? I stand by my opinion that you can't compare artists in terms of "better than" but I will respect your incorrect opinion. :baiting:

J/K :foryou:

As an art teacher, I can't resist weighing in on this. You can't count the number of goals in a net but one can assess the skill with which the elements and principles of design are applied.

I keep hearing how hot this Mr Adams is, but I say outside his key books, the Bats and Tecs, his pricing is soft.

I tried to sell a Neal Adams cover from early 1968 (pretty early for his DC cover work) and it did not sell; no sniffs, no inquiries, no comments.

Is Neal the "hot" artists or is Batman and Detective hot and the covers done by Neal are more highly sought after? I am not sure it is Neal alone driving this, it is his covers done on certain titles.

Highest graded always sells well, a Neal highest grade will sell for sure. But try selling a 9.4 or 9.6, non-main stream title and tell me if it will sell for anything over what another book from a similar run will sell for.

Just my perspective over the last 5 years of buying his high grade books.

on a side note, I have never met Mr. Adams and I am not sure if I would ever go out of my way to do so. I love the flair of his pencil strokes. As for his beliefs in other things, I say why spoil the image I have in my head.

I keep hearing how hot this Mr Adams is, but I say outside his key books, the Bats and Tecs, his pricing is soft.

I tried to sell a Neal Adams cover from early 1968 (pretty early for his DC cover work) and it did not sell; no sniffs, no inquiries, no comments.

Is Neal the "hot" artists or is Batman and Detective hot and the covers done by Neal are more highly sought after? I am not sure it is Neal alone driving this, it is his covers done on certain titles.

Highest graded always sells well, a Neal highest grade will sell for sure. But try selling a 9.4 or 9.6, non-main stream title and tell me if it will sell for anything over what another book from a similar run will sell for.

on a side note, I have never met Mr. Adams and I am not sure if I would ever go out of my way to do so. I love the flair of his pencil strokes. As for his beliefs in other things, I say why spoil the image I have in my head.

Interesting observation on the sales trend, much appreciated. I am also with you on not caring to know his personal beliefs. It's his talent that I am in awe of.

You can say that about any prolific artist, though. Look at Kirby, for instance. He did a ton of work in the 60s but the older grey haired collectors I know that are Kirby fans associate him with his most popular characters, the FF (or his 4th World stuff if you are a DC fan :sick: ) . Is Ditko better known for his Strange Tales (which looks better IMHO) run or his ASM run (and it can be argued that some of his Charlton stuff was better than either of those titles)? For any of the more prolific artists the top dollar will be paid for the most popular characters since they have the bigger fan base to start with. However, they still command a premium in the lesser titles compared to the other artists before and after them on those runs.

That being said, in the case of Neal Adams, isn't his biggest book $$$ wise (and likely the OA cover to it as well) from the GL/GA run, not Batman or Tec? :baiting::foryou:

Go with this. It's better that way.

For me, Neal Adams represents the absolute best artwork in comics, period. If you look back on all the covers he did and how nice they are, it is just plan amazing. He had an incredible sense of proportion and the ability to maintain it when showing dynamic scenes that really tell the story. I would have to say his work on Batman and Detective are my favorites.

I am not saying other artist were not great, but Neal's work is just plan amazing.

I would have to agree...and even though he is not my personal favorite (Don't get me wrong, I really like his work...there are only a few I like better), he would probably get my vote as the greatest comic artist of all time.

Imagine that, people buy comics for more than just the cover doh! With Neal, it's all about the interior art.

That being said, in the case of Neal Adams, isn't his biggest book $$$ wise (and likely the OA cover to it as well) from the GL/GA run, not Batman or Tec? :baiting::foryou:

:D

When somebody inquires about my book, I'll beleive there is a demand.

GL76 is about more than Neal. Watch the prices of the rest of his GL run, watch the press and re-submit game going on and those prices are dropping too.

But again, outside the extreme run up in GL76 prices, outside of the top of the line 9.8's, is he really that much hotter than??? I could even make a case for people wanting his books ungraded because it was the interior work that we love so much.

hm