• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal Adams? The hottest thing on the boards right now?

87 posts in this topic

on a side note, I have never met Mr. Adams and I am not sure if I would ever go out of my way to do so. I love the flair of his pencil strokes. As for his beliefs in other things, I say why spoil the image I have in my head.

Go with this. It's better that way.

I sort of keep this in mind with all the people I look up to or consider a "hero". I do not think I ever have to meet Lance Armstrong or Louis Hamilton or Thomas Sowell. Now, as for Mrs. Rand, that would have been something I would have liked to do.

on a side note, I have never met Mr. Adams and I am not sure if I would ever go out of my way to do so. I love the flair of his pencil strokes. As for his beliefs in other things, I say why spoil the image I have in my head.

I can understand that. I found Tyra Banks much hotter before someone decided to give her a talk show. :P

As far as Adams is concerned, I like his a late 60's/early 70's stuff but once he gets into the 80's with Coninuity Comics, I think he lost his early fluid style. Just doesn't appeal to me.

How come his 1980`s and up stuff has never taken off? seems like everybody is just focused on his Batman covers and one year run on GL/GA. For the last thirty years the man has done work but for some reason there is little or no interest in his post-1980 stuff.

hm

I keep hearing how hot this Mr Adams is, but I say outside his key books, the Bats and Tecs, his pricing is soft.

I tried to sell a Neal Adams cover from early 1968 (pretty early for his DC cover work) and it did not sell; no sniffs, no inquiries, no comments.

Is Neal the "hot" artists or is Batman and Detective hot and the covers done by Neal are more highly sought after? I am not sure it is Neal alone driving this, it is his covers done on certain titles.

Highest graded always sells well, a Neal highest grade will sell for sure. But try selling a 9.4 or 9.6, non-main stream title and tell me if it will sell for anything over what another book from a similar run will sell for.

Just my perspective over the last 5 years of buying his high grade books.

You can say that about any prolific artist, though. Look at Kirby, for instance. He did a ton of work in the 60s but the older grey haired collectors I know that are Kirby fans associate him with his most popular characters, the FF (or his 4th World stuff if you are a DC fan :sick: ) . Is Ditko better known for his Strange Tales (which looks better IMHO) run or his ASM run (and it can be argued that some of his Charlton stuff was better than either of those titles)? For any of the more prolific artists the top dollar will be paid for the most popular characters since they have the bigger fan base to start with. However, they still command a premium in the lesser titles compared to the other artists before and after them on those runs.

That being said, in the case of Neal Adams, isn't his biggest book $$$ wise (and likely the OA cover to it as well) from the GL/GA run, not Batman or Tec? :baiting::foryou:

Tec 359, Tec 395, Tec 400. These books are definitely Big Money. 359 hasnt had a sale in 9.6 in GPA records for some time, but there is one on C-Link. Tec 395 has no recent public sales of 9.4 since the same time, I am guessing a 9.6 with hite pages would shock people for a non-key. And Tec 400 in 9.8 sells for a pretty penny. GL 76 in anything below 9.2 seems to be on the downturn. Its apples to apples, but a few of the Tecs in 9.6/9.8 turn up, things could get interesting hm

How come his 1980`s and up stuff has never taken off? seems like everybody is just focused on his Batman covers and one year run on GL/GA. For the last thirty years the man has done work but for some reason there is little or no interest in his post-1980 stuff.

hm

Giordiano didn't ink them? (shrug) His style definitely changed during that time period.

And don't forget Deadman (Strange Adventures), the interior pencils were killer. The "Steranko Effect" and the 6 panels that make up a giant Deadman's head are classics.

I keep hearing how hot this Mr Adams is, but I say outside his key books, the Bats and Tecs, his pricing is soft.

I tried to sell a Neal Adams cover from early 1968 (pretty early for his DC cover work) and it did not sell; no sniffs, no inquiries, no comments.

Is Neal the "hot" artists or is Batman and Detective hot and the covers done by Neal are more highly sought after? I am not sure it is Neal alone driving this, it is his covers done on certain titles.

Highest graded always sells well, a Neal highest grade will sell for sure. But try selling a 9.4 or 9.6, non-main stream title and tell me if it will sell for anything over what another book from a similar run will sell for.

You can say that about any prolific artist, though. Look at Kirby, for instance. He did a ton of work in the 60s but the older grey haired collectors I know that are Kirby fans associate him with his most popular characters, the FF (or his 4th World stuff if you are a DC fan :sick: ) . Is Ditko better known for his Strange Tales (which looks better IMHO) run or his ASM run (and it can be argued that some of his Charlton stuff was better than either of those titles)? For any of the more prolific artists the top dollar will be paid for the most popular characters since they have the bigger fan base to start with. However, they still command a premium in the lesser titles compared to the other artists before and after them on those runs.

That being said, in the case of Neal Adams, isn't his biggest book $$$ wise (and likely the OA cover to it as well) from the GL/GA run, not Batman or Tec? :baiting::foryou:

Tec 359, Tec 395, Tec 400. These books are definitely Big Money. 359 hasnt had a sale in 9.6 in GPA records for some time, but there is one on C-Link. Tec 395 has no recent public sales of 9.4 since the same time, I am guessing a 9.6 with hite pages would shock people for a non-key. And Tec 400 in 9.8 sells for a pretty penny. GL 76 in anything below 9.2 seems to be on the downturn. Its apples to apples, but a few of the Tecs in 9.6/9.8 turn up, things could get interesting hm

Tec 395 not a key? :o Wait till Teddie gets here.

Go with this. It's better that way.

I sort of keep this in mind with all the people I look up to or consider a "hero". I do not think I ever have to meet Lance Armstrong or Louis Hamilton or Thomas Sowell. Now, as for Mrs. Rand, that would have been something I would have liked to do.

To me eccentric people only make their genius or greatness that much more special.

There is a fine line between genius and insanity.

I blame this Forum as much as anybody for bigging that book up and turning it into a key. :sumo:

Pretty much (thumbs u

now the elusive Teddie may not show......

:cry:

they are all keys to me...... :insane:

I blame this Forum as much as anybody for bigging that book up and turning it into a key. :sumo:

Pretty much (thumbs u

now the elusive Teddie may not show......

:cry:

they are all keys to me...... :insane:

:makepoint:

When did Neil Do Tec 359 ? Maybe it was Kneel Adams ?

I am here... We can go around and around about how important Tec 395 is. By now people have heard it all, the beginning of the "darker" Batman, the introduction of the horror element for Batman, the 1st collaboration of Denny O'Neil and Neil Adams. You either agree with the logic stated or dont.

What it comes down to is if you are a huge Adams Batman fan this book is on your radar and likely very high up. I wouldnt expect people looking for a "1st appearance" or something like that to appreciate how great of a comic this book is. However when you combine all of those elements and a real love for Neil's work this book stands out, to me obviously higher then any other book in his Bat/Tec run.

Ask any long term Adams fan what his favorite Adams Bat story is and you will hear Tec 395 more often then not. No it's not as easy as pointing to a book like Bat 227 with its cover that says "wow, there's a key worth collecting in the CGC age." But what is forgotten a lot of times because Adams was such a great cover artist is that you will find some of the best overall comics ever done in his AV/Bat/Tec/GL runs. Incredible covers, stories and interiors.

Btw I love collecting covers also and think 395 is pretty damn incredible.

I am here... We can go around and around about how important Tec 395 is. By now people have heard it all, the beginning of the "darker" Batman, the introduction of the horror element for Batman, the 1st collaboration of Denny O'Neil and Neil Adams. You either agree with the logic stated or dont.

What it comes down to is if you are a huge Adams Batman fan this book is on your radar and likely very high up. I wouldnt expect people looking for a "1st appearance" or something like that to appreciate how great of a comic this book is. However when you combine all of those elements and a real love for Neil's work this book stands out, to me obviously higher then any other book in his Bat/Tec run.

Ask any long term Adams fan what his favorite Adams Bat story is and you will hear Tec 395 more often then not. No it's not as easy as pointing to a book like Bat 227 with its cover that says "wow, there's a key worth collecting in the CGC age." But what is forgotten a lot of times because Adams was such a great cover artist is that you will find some of the best overall comics ever done in his AV/Bat/Tec/GL runs. Incredible covers, stories and interiors.

Btw I love collecting covers also and think 395 is pretty damn incredible.

word......

:grin:

:cloud9:

The Secret of the Waiting Graves.....

I actually read that story wayyyyy back when I first started collecting, in Dynamic Classics #1...long before I knew that was a reprint.

It was nice to find the original a short while later.

Tec 359

I think that is the issue he bought off of the stands and after reading it said, "I will recreate the Batman, and then figure out why the earth is expandding."

:cloud9:

The Secret of the Waiting Graves.....

I actually read that story wayyyyy back when I first started collecting, in Dynamic Classics #1...long before I knew that was a reprint.

It was nice to find the original a short while later.

I remember reading it in black and white as I had a tatty copy of Batman from the 30 to the 70s...thought it was great. Never thought it would be that significant later on though...