• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beware monsterscollectibles on Ebay.

73 posts in this topic

Just a heads up for anyone buying from Ken Danker, aka monsterscollectibles. He's buying books, having them restored, and then sending them to PGX for blue labels and listing them on Ebay. I know he's a board member and has peddled his wares here before.

Happy to show proof if he dares to stick his neck out here. One more scumbag to add to the "avoid like the plague" list.

Maybe the concerns Trey Cannon had with him were justified after all.

Just a heads up for anyone buying from Ken Danker, aka monsterscollectibles. He's buying books, having them restored, and then sending them to PGX for blue labels and listing them on Ebay. I know he's a board member and has peddled his wares here before.

Happy to show proof if he dares to stick his neck out here. One more scumbag to add to the "avoid like the plague" list.

How about some proof even if he doesn't show up in the thread (shrug) It's a pretty serious accusation. What kind of resto? Is PGX complicit in this or just clueless as usual?

+1

hm not going to get involved but definatly will be watching this thread :popcorn:

How about some proof even if he doesn't show up in the thread (shrug) It's a pretty serious accusation. What kind of resto? Is PGX complicit in this or just clueless as usual?

:popcorn:

Here's the short version.

I bought a Zip 29 from him on Ebay here and I've been on the road 3/4 weeks this month so I didn't have much time to give it a good once over. The book came in, I looked at it briefly and it looked ok (definitely a little overgraded, but...), left decent feedback.

Then I cracked it out, the staples had been monkeyed with and it had been poorly pressed, not a big deal as I factored (a) a "generous" grade from PGX and (b) some similar work into the price when I bought it, but I had no idea if the seller had done it himself, so no big deal.

Then I see the same book having been sold here as a 1.0 and I take a closer look and there are some tear seals and amateur resto at the top of the spine & top staple. The time from the first sale to the second means that it almost certainly had to be the same person doing the work & submission to PGX.

PGX is of course incompetent, and as I said, I just factored that into the price when I bought it. But this all adds up to a deliberate intent to use PGX's incompetence to pass off restoration.

This is the same guy who won the X-Men #8 Northland on eBay, cracked it and threw away the label. He told me how CGC had really mis-graded it and that it was a 9.4 or 9.6 copy. Yeah, right. lol

doh!

I bought a Zip 29 from him on Ebay here and I've been on the road 3/4 weeks this month so I didn't have much time to give it a good once over. The book came in, I looked at it briefly and it looked ok (definitely a little overgraded, but...), left decent feedback.

Then I cracked it out, the staples had been monkeyed with and it had been poorly pressed, not a big deal as I factored (a) a "generous" grade from PGX and (b) some similar work into the price when I bought it, but I had no idea if the seller had done it himself, so no big deal.

Then I see the same book having been sold here as a 1.0 and I take a closer look and there are some tear seals and amateur resto at the top of the spine & top staple. The time from the first sale to the second means that it almost certainly had to be the same person doing the work & submission to PGX.

PGX is of course incompetent, and as I said, I just factored that into the price when I bought it. But this all adds up to a deliberate intent to use PGX's incompetence to pass off restoration.

Incompetence vs. complicity...... hm

Incompetence vs. complicity...... hm

Involving them in any intentional way gives them way too much credit. Even if they were trying to do something they don't have the brains to get it done. It's like in Rain Man when Charlie uses Raymond to gamble. Poor Raymond wasn't smart enough to know what he was doing was wrong, and no matter how much explaining you did, he would never get it. He would just keep thinking about underwear prices at K-mart.

PGX thinks about underwear prices at K-mart.

Plus, I didn't have any problems with the transaction with him, other than him telling me the book was a 9.4 or 9.6. The damage to the back cover made it a 7.5. The 8.0 CGC originally gave it was a gift grade or a pedigree bump. I was going to have either Mike or Joey pick it up for me as it was close to them in Florida, but he was dead set against that happening.

Does PGX state any kind of resto guarantee on their label.... hm

From the Services part of the website:

Thorough Restoration Check

A thorough restoration check is done on every book that goes through the PGX Certification process. Books with restoration are assigned a 'Restored' label with restoration being noted below the grade. Books with slight color touch will be assigned the Blue World label with slight color touch being noted below the grade.

From the Legal part of the Website:

PGX's grading is based on the PGX Grading Standards developed by PGX and the opinions of the PGX Grading Team and does not guarantee complete acceptance. A restoration check is made on every book that comes through PGX. Every effort is made to detect restoration, but we do not guarantee this process or the result.

:ohnoez:

PGX: uh oh, fart. uh oh, fart.

KD: did you fart, PGX? did you spooning fart?

PGX: fart

KD: how can you stand that?

PGX: I don't mind it.

KD: how can you stand it?

PGX: ten minutes to Wapner.