• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peter M. Hsu Art Wanted

22 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I'm looking for any original art done by Peter M. Hsu, an artist popular in the 1980s who did independant B/W comics such as Quandrant, Gauntlet, the Adventurers, Elf Warrior, and story art for mags like Warren, Creepy, Eerie, 1994, Vampirella, Vortex etc.

He does mostly B/W good girl art in an airbrush style.

Has anyone here seen any of his stuff?

Peter Hsu and his artwork sort of disappeared off the face of the earth.

Any help or info would be much appreciated.

Sorry I can't help more. I sold (via heritage)/traded the 8 pieces I use to have. Most came from NYC with 1 off of ebay (Canadian seller). These have been the only pieces I have seen over the past 25 years or so.

The pieces I use to have were 7 of 8 pages from a Warren magazine story with the eight piece being a color cover. I know the 8th page from the Warren magazine story is out there but the owner never wanted to parted with it. Not sure if anything else is out there.

Good luck in your search.

Edwin

Hello Edwin,

I wish I knew about the 8 pieces you used to have. Alas, I am 3 yrs too late from that auction at Heritage. Thanks for all the info. It's strange, maybe he never sold his artwork. I know he transitioned into videography in the 1990s and that's all I know. Anyways, if you do run across any of his original art in the future, please let me know.

thanks,

Paul

Back circa I would say.... 1993 (?) Peter attended a local convention and had a large painted oil, I would say 18 by 24 or larger, with, IIRC, adventurers subject matter, for sale for 2000. was way too much for me at the time but a cool piece so that's probably out there somewhere. Said it took him about two or three weeks to do a piece like that given the drying required for the oils.

Edited by Bronty

Hey Bronty,

Way cool!!! Thanks for the info. I too met him once in a small Chicago convention back around 1985? He was nice and signed some stuff I had of his and did a small sketch for me but said "its not that great until I airbrush it" and it kinda looked like a stick figure.....then he sent me on my way. Funny. :)

Paul

Hey Bronty,

Way cool!!! Thanks for the info. I too met him once in a small Chicago convention back around 1985? He was nice and signed some stuff I had of his and did a small sketch for me but said "its not that great until I airbrush it" and it kinda looked like a stick figure.....then he sent me on my way. Funny. :)

Paul

no problemo... btw the adventurers 8 cover (not by hsu but maybe it interests you) cover was recently sold by heritage - you could probably look it up in their archives and/or use the make an offer feature to the new owner, if interests you

Hello everyone. I'm looking for any original art done by Peter M. Hsu, an artist popular in the 1980s who did independant B/W comics such as Quandrant, Gauntlet, the Adventurers, Elf Warrior, and story art for mags like Warren, Creepy, Eerie, 1994, Vampirella, Vortex etc.

He does mostly B/W good girl art in an airbrush style.

Has anyone here seen any of his stuff?

Peter Hsu and his artwork sort of disappeared off the face of the earth.

Any help or info would be much appreciated.

Ah, so you're the one that bought my Elf Warrior on ebay a couple of days ago.

Bump for a hsu sketch in this weeks heritage auction, and for the fact that a collection of dozens of hsu pieces was uploaded to caf

Hey Bronty,

I haven't been on here for over 2 1/2 yrs (since summer 2010) and decided to read up on my old Peter Hsu post! :D

FYI - That's me your talking about on CAF with the collection of Peter Hsu art! My hunt from 3 yrs ago led me to the "Mother of all Mother Loads" of lost Peter Hsu art!!! I have died and gone to heaven :whee:

Check it out and I also explain my timeline of my string of ups and downs before hitting the lottery in:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=66269

keymstrgoz

yeah I read your story on CAF previously, that was quite a haul and quite a story, congrats! Its great that you managed to get so many Hsu pieces. ^^

I have a somewhat similar story - I recently managed to get a collection of pages from Peter's old colleague on the Adventurers, Kent Burles. Also on CAF.

Not as many pages as you, but 39 pages ain't so bad :) It was everything he had left from the Adventurers. I didn't have to go through as many people as you did, but I did send Kent an email every six months or a year for 4 or 5 years before getting a response so some element of persistence there too.

Glad to see you found the gatekeeper, keymaster! You make Zool proud. I cannot imagine what it would be like to hit a motherload like that. When I saw the art it would be like all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light. Killer job, and very nice art. In other words, let's say a Twinkie represents the normal amount of energy in an original art acquisition. Based on this art's sample, it would be a Twinkie... thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

okay, I will stop now

Edited by Bird