• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP Frank Frazetta (1928-2010)

59 posts in this topic

Been letting others reply since yesterday. Man, again, he was a legend upon legends! I loved ALL of his work, from Creepy to Vampirella, to all sorts of horror and Sci Fi covers. Most loved HIS Conan of all! And all those hottie voluptuous chicks he drew! (worship) Rest......

Been letting others reply since yesterday. Man, again, he was a legend upon legends! I loved ALL of his work, from Creepy to Vampirella, to all sorts of horror and Sci Fi covers. Most loved HIS Conan of all! And all those hottie voluptuous chicks he drew! (worship) Rest......

The thing that made him unique to me is that he did everything in his own way. He could even make PSAs memorable:

4600734561_10c15327eb_b.jpg

Here is a quote shortly after Frazetta's passing that I posted here. It was a small part of my very first post at these Forums, but it's poignant to this thread.

Lastly, and because of the timing of this post, and on the topic of Good Girl Art, I need to acknowledge the passing of the ultimate GGA artist on May 10, 2010, Frank Frazetta. Frazetta was the master of drawing beautiful and sexy women. He had a knack, natural enthusiasm, and panache for drawing woman, magically capturing the appealing feminine form like no other. It is as though he managed to translate human figure drawing into the inked comic book media. His line work in all that he drew seemed perfect to me, whether the style was sustained or sketchy, they were all masterpieces. His use of dark and light contrasts, and how to expertly manifest his understanding of light and shade, into 2 dimensional art for comic books has never been mirrored, before nor after his life. My favorite Frazetta comic book interior stories are the ones he penned for Personal Love, especially his Bettie Page tribute, and his brilliant Buck Rogers covers on Famous Funnies. However, I marvel at all his art. Comicdom has lost a creative genius in him. All his art and output will live forever, and the fragile babes he created will continue to tease and visually please us for eternity (no doubt).

[font:Verdana]I actually own two high grade copies of Personal Love #25 (Famous Funnies, January 1954 issue), both have been in my possession a very long time. 1 since 1989, and the other since 1993. They have found a permanent home with me. It is my absolute all time favorite Frazetta comic book art appearance, not only because of the amount of flawless detail he put into every single panel (which absolutely baffles me and blows my mind every time my eyes feast upon his art), and the elegant way he drew the fairer sex, but because Bettie Page was Frazetta's inspiration behind the female lead character. I value his interior art stories even more than I do his covers (which are absolute dynamite as well). This thread pays homage to the master artist, and one of the Kings Of Good Girl Art.[/font]

[font:Arial Black]

Frank Frazetta's consummately and exquisitely drawn girls put the 'DE' in 'DE-ICER.'[/font]

102754.jpg.b08950df4da0fa50ea54fe1f4b9f6f89.jpg

102755.jpg.985eef7bf99f186ecf3af922db98307c.jpg

The only other Frank Frazetta comic I have on hand is only a low grade copy of Movie Love #10 (Famous Funnies, August 1951 issue). The Frazetta art on the interior is a comic biographic story of Hollywood Actor, Burt Lancaster. All Frazetta art appearances are KEY issues to collectors in Comcdom.

Join Today

GGA FORUM: http://www.SpankingPanels.com/forum/

102757.jpg.caabdab4b207a4a5bfe318209912d15f.jpg

102758.jpg.f8d7adafa8e3b4d39476053a19cd8801.jpg

102759.jpg.635d1adfc70babd6e3ad5dae61570398.jpg

I must not belong to comicfandom then ... I do not believe that all issues with Frazetta art should be viewed as KEY (your emphasis). Maybe you just got too carried away ...

(I've edited this because I've recently discovered the edit option, plus, in due consideration of the final discussion)

All one has to do is peruse any issue of The Overstreet Price Guide for the last 20 years (or more) and every comic book issue within any title that Frazetta had a hand in gets a special annotation. Not only that, but along with it, the value of the book has a listing of it's own, and reflects a higher premium than any other issue number in it's vicinity. Some premiums are extraordinary, depending on the context and degree of Frazetta's contribution. Annotations and premiums in OPG reflect Comicdom's overall interest with specific comics.

There has never been another artist like Frank Frazetta, really. He is like Comic Book Royalty. I do not know of another ARTIST whose portfolio of art is more revered. And because he left comic books I believe in the early 1960s to pursue painting, his portfolio of Comic Book stories and covers are more limited than other Golden Age giants such as Alex Schomburg, Will Eisner, Wallace Wood, Lou Fine, Al Williamson, Reed Crandall, Jack Kirby and Matt Baker.

If Frank Frazetta is not in a category unto himself then I do not know who is or should be. And if he's not, then he is definitely in the highest tier, the zenith of the most highly regarded golden age artists of all time. Am I out of line for suggesting this, or is it common knowledge?

You must not be Mr. Freshman

This is an unfortunate phrase and tone to use with Scrooge who, besides being a friendly contributor to the boards, is a devoted and thoughtful fan of the medium.

I do not believe that all issues with Frazetta art should be viewed as KEY (your emphasis).
I happen to think Frank is the bee's knees and at the pinnacle of comic book artists but I fully agree with Scrooge's assessment -- they aren't all keys.

If Frank Frazetta is not in a category unto himself then I do not know who is or should be.
There are those (many of them artistts themselves) who like other artists better for a variety of reasons. Even if one accepted the premise that Frank is the best artist, his work in comics may not similarly be the best since the judgment is unlikely to only include artistic skills and would most likely include some assessment of his story-telling ability. It's hard for me counter someone who thinks that an early Frazetta two-pager about Burt Lancaster as being "key" since it doesn't look like a key to me either.

Just my 2c

There has never been another artist like Frank Frazetta, really. He is like Comic Book Royalty. I do not know of another ARTIST whose portfolio of art is more revered. And because he left comic books I believe in the early 1960s to pursue painting, his portfolio of Comic Book stories and covers are more limited than other Golden Age giants such as Alex Schomburg, Will Eisner, Wallace Wood, Lou Fine, Al Williamson, Reed Crandall, Jack Kirby and Matt Baker.

If Frank Frazetta is not in a category unto himself then I do not know who is or should be. And if he's not, then he is definitely in the highest tier, the zenith of the most highly regarded golden age artists of all time. Am I out of line for suggesting this, or is it common knowledge?

I totally disagree with this statement too and I also agree with Scrooge about not everything Franzetta doing being a key. It is not true about Matt Baker not having a limited portfolio. He died in 1959. And, although his illustrative career was short lived out side of comics, it still is quite amazing. I know that there are those that think Franzetta is the best artist ever but he isn't in a category all his own. There are other great artists too.