• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cursed Pirate Girl

1,870 posts in this topic

UPDATE:

Well...

I want to apologize again for the error TPB. I wanted to remind people that you can exchange your book for a corrected one by sending it to Olympian Publishing. The only issue with that is that the two pin-up pages will not be included in the new copy. Personally, I don't agree with this remediation and I'd rather keep my error copy.

On that note, I am personally stepping up and taking responsibility to remedy this issue with printing the missing page on high quality paper with a laser printer. Had some exchange of interesting words and disagreements with Olympian Publishing that led me to step up. I will do my best guys. Someone's got to make things right.

Had some exchange of interesting words and disagreements with Olympian Publishing that led me to step up. I will do my best guys. Someone's got to make things right.

Julio, you are a mensch.

Olympian Publishing has got to be a small op because they act like a small operation. QC failed and now their response is lacking. Addendum or errata pages are somewhat acceptable for textbooks, but for a publication where the printing itself is part of the art, taping a page into the book seems (charitably) inelegant. Should it matter to an artist that their pride and joy is so shabbily represented?

It is disappointing Olympian is not offering to replace the issues especially in light of the success of the Kickstarter project. $36,000 for them and Jeremy, $1,500 of it paid for by the backers of this edition. It is disappointing because this is their or their printer's problem. Perhaps they don't want to have to go through the pain of having to re-print the issue and then fly Jeremy back out for the sign, remark and stamp.

It just seems tragic that Olympian cannot at least make an effort at wanting to do right by Julio, who paid for and negotiated the right to produce these books. Olympian should at least offer to replace the issues as originally intended--stamped, sketched, signed, wholly complete and with the pin-ups.

Edited by Kawfeadikt

Got another email directly from the printer. Seems like there was some mis-communication regarding the error. Both Challengers and these advance copies do have a page missing. If you have gotten your TPBs already, the page missing is between 103 and 104.

Apparently, this is the page missing:

CPGmissingpage.jpg

I was able to get 2 copies of the Challengers Editions, copy #4 and #100. The page you mention is in both of my books. It may be misplaced though. The pages are not numbered, but I found this page about 10 pages before the pin ups. Anybody else?

Edited by wingnuts

Hey, guys-

It seems there are some misunderstandings on the 200 books that got released into the world with the printing error. I'm posting on here not to stir the pot, but to clarify:

...the two pin-up pages will not be included in the new copy. Personally, I don't agree with this remediation and I'd rather keep my error copy.

When you say you don't agree with the remediation, perhaps you're speaking without understanding... the pin-ups were space fillers in the back of the book. There was a page of story missing when the two pin-ups were placed, and once placed back into sequence, the two pages that were available for those pinups are now only one. Jeremy couldn't decide which pin-up to leave out between his two close friends, Dave Petersen and Nate Pride, and after much deliberation opted to leave both out rather than have to choose, and put an image of his fabulous Little Nemo illustration. Choosing between two close friends is kind of like picking a favorite parent, you know? Plus, the Little Nemo piece hasn't been seen by as many people, and Jeremy's really proud of that art. To further clarify, books are printed four pages up, so to add in the two pin-ups would mean having three more extraneous pages in the back- and filling extraneous pages was how the pin-ups got placed in the first place. See how this goes in a circle? Simply put: the pinups were space holders, for space that the book- once properly paginated- no longer has.

UPDATE:

On that note, I am personally stepping up and taking responsibility to remedy this issue with printing the missing page on high quality paper with a laser printer. Had some exchange of interesting words and disagreements with Olympian Publishing that led me to step up. I will do my best guys. Someone's got to make things right.

This is where it gets a little heavy-handed for me. We have made a high resolution pdf available online for anyone who wants to make sure- as I would- that you don't miss out on a single panel of this story! The 100 Challengers copies were printed out and placed in the book by the employees of Challengers in advance of the signing. Julio suggested doing an offset print run for the forty "White Logo" copies that have been sold, but I don't think he understands how unbelievably expensive that would be. And these are clearly ERROR copies. Any attempts to make these 40 books into proper copies just won't work. Print the page out, but let it be what it is! Embrace that you were lucky enough to land something that was recalled, or exchange it- we will stamp and sign a new book, properly paginated, to match the one submitted. You can send books to:

OLYMPIAN PUBLISHING

1658 N. Milwaukee

Chicago IL

And we will return the books with reimbursement for your shipping costs. If Julio wants to print out the pages for you and ship them, that is fine- the environmentalist in me would hope you'd prefer to save the shipping materials, costs, etc., but I understand wanting something the way you thought it was when you paid for it.

Had some exchange of interesting words and disagreements with Olympian Publishing that led me to step up. I will do my best guys. Someone's got to make things right.

Julio, you are a mensch.

Olympian Publishing has got to be a small op because they act like a small operation. QC failed and now their response is lacking. Addendum or errata pages are somewhat acceptable for textbooks, but for a publication where the printing itself is part of the art, taping a page into the book seems (charitably) inelegant. Should it matter to an artist that their pride and joy is so shabbily represented?

It is disappointing Olympian is not offering to replace the issues especially in light of the success of the Kickstarter project. $36,000 for them and Jeremy, $1,500 of it paid for by the backers of this edition. It is disappointing because this is their or their printer's problem. Perhaps they don't want to have to go through the pain of having to re-print the issue and then fly Jeremy back out for the sign, remark and stamp.

It just seems tragic that Olympian cannot at least make an effort at wanting to do right by Julio, who paid for and negotiated the right to produce these books. Olympian should at least offer to replace the issues as originally intended--stamped, sketched, signed, wholly complete and with the pin-ups.

I can't comment on Julio being a mensch or not, but I will agree that you are correct: we are a small operation. We've begged, borrowed and stolen from our parent company to get Cursed Pirate Girl out there, and for three years now we've operated very solidly in the red. Did quality control fail? Yes! For the first time in years, we had a huge operator error here, and it's tragic. But in what way is our response lacking? We are happy to exchange all books at our expense.

We are in agreement that addendum pages for an art book are inappropriate. And inelegant. We do not recommend it. We would suggest keeping the book as a separate "error" book, or returning the book for a copy that properly represents the standards we have held for all our previous years of publishing art books.

We are in fact offering to replace all the books, so I am assuming that this was an error in your understanding.

The first part of our disagreement with Julio was a point that you have said even more pointedly than I did: we felt that the books did not need to have a special print run of papers for something that would literally be a paste-up job, like putting a bow tie on a cow. Let it be a cow. (Although I would actually like to see a bow tie on a cow, now that I think about it. But I am ruining my point.)

The second was in the suggestion that we supply complimentary copies for everyone with proper pagination. This was simply met with (1) the response that I believe that offering to exchange the copies at our cost was fair, and (2) with the markup over retail, Julio will at the end have made $5,000 in profit. This is more than ten times what we made on this deal. But that's between him and his buyers, we got the price we were asking, and are happy that the books are out in the world. If at the prices he charged above retail he feels that complimentary copies are necessary in addition to an exchange, I honor his attention to customer service and offered to make more copies available to him at the wholesale price, which is $10 a book.

And as for the pin-ups, I also hope that this is now clear as well that the storyline must take priority, and that it would be physically impossible to have both the storyline and the pinups without expanding the book again- making more empty space to be dealt with, in a process that could theoretically never end. The point of the collected edition is the storyline, and the new four page epilogue.

I still feel that offering an exchange and having the books marked and signed, etc., to match the submitted copies is fair. It is confusing to me that some people feel otherwise, and want to use this as an opportunity to suggest that we are not doing the right thing in this matter. This is additionally confusing to me by Julio's desire to keep the 60 unsold error books- if they are a problem, then why not return them? We all know that there is a premium value to error books. Keep them, have a part of (ouch!) history. Return them, have a perfect book.

We have no problem with either, and I hope that by publicly clarifying our intentions directly instead of through a second party that this makes things clearer.

We really, really, really appreciate everyone's support of the Cursed Pirate Girl universe, and hope that this is the VERY best thing under your tree this Christmas!!!

Thanks, from all of us here. Very appropriately: Happy Thanksgiving,

Tom

Olympian Publishing

Century Guild

Hi Tom!

Appreciate your explanations and offer 'Direct from the Publisher's mouth" how you will handle the missing page. Everyone who has purchased the copies offered here by Julio will decide what course they want to do regarding their purchase, and you have clarified the options.

Julio put the project together and offered it to his friends here on the Boards first. Without his coordination, I probably never would have been able to purchase such a limited, fabulous item of Bastian's. Personally I don't care how much money Julio made on the project - we all figured he was getting something out of the deal, and rightfully so. AND he made sure that a portion of the profit went to a very worthy cause. Julio's intentions with all of his posts in this thread were to make sure his friends were taken care of and not unhappy with something he has put so much time into. KUDOS to him! (worship)

AND a big (worship) to Olympian Publishing also. You have brought to the masses Bastian's fabulous work and we all hope you will continue to do so for a very long time. I just picked up on CPG and will continue to throw money Bastian's way (and yours). Thank you very much!

Happy Thanksgiving!

When you say you don't agree with the remediation, perhaps you're speaking without understanding... the pin-ups were space fillers in the back of the book. There was a page of story missing when the two pin-ups were placed, and once placed back into sequence, the two pages that were available for those pinups are now only one. Jeremy couldn't decide which pin-up to leave out between his two close friends, Dave Petersen and Nate Pride, and after much deliberation opted to leave both out rather than have to choose, and put an image of his fabulous Little Nemo illustration. Choosing between two close friends is kind of like picking a favorite parent, you know? Plus, the Little Nemo piece hasn't been seen by as many people, and Jeremy's really proud of that art. To further clarify, books are printed four pages up, so to add in the two pin-ups would mean having three more extraneous pages in the back- and filling extraneous pages was how the pin-ups got placed in the first place. See how this goes in a circle? Simply put: the pinups were space holders, for space that the book- once properly paginated- no longer has.

I appreciate the explanation, Tom. This information would have been vital in explaining it to the board as I received the updates. It was simply put to me by you that the pin-ups would not be included, which was a special part of this book regardless.

This is where it gets a little heavy-handed for me. We have made a high resolution pdf available online for anyone who wants to make sure- as I would- that you don't miss out on a single panel of this story! The 100 Challengers copies were printed out and placed in the book by the employees of Challengers in advance of the signing. Julio suggested doing an offset print run for the forty "White Logo" copies that have been sold, but I don't think he understands how unbelievably expensive that would be. And these are clearly ERROR copies. Any attempts to make these 40 books into proper copies just won't work. Print the page out, but let it be what it is! Embrace that you were lucky enough to land something that was recalled, or exchange it- we will stamp and sign a new book, properly paginated, to match the one submitted.

And we will return the books with reimbursement for your shipping costs. If Julio wants to print out the pages for you and ship them, that is fine- the environmentalist in me would hope you'd prefer to save the shipping materials, costs, etc., but I understand wanting something the way you thought it was when you paid for it.

If you read back on the history, I did comment on how people can exchange their books for corrected ones. They had the option to send them back to you and get one without the pin-ups (fillers) or keep their copies. I notified each person that got a book of this via PM. Tally still dictates that people want to keep their copies and get have the extra page sent to them.

The request, Tom, was for all 100 books, not just 40. I'm confused as to how Challengers found out about the error before the signing. I didn't know about it in advance. Regardless of the amount, I felt like it was the publishers responsibility to provide the page and not send an email to have people print the page. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Sure you offered to replace the book, but the book would not be shipped out until the middle of December with the rest of the distributed copies. No longer an Advance Copy. Missing two pages, regardless of what they were. It just doesn't sound right to me either.

The first part of our disagreement with Julio was a point that you have said even more pointedly than I did: we felt that the books did not need to have a special print run of papers for something that would literally be a paste-up job, like putting a bow tie on a cow. Let it be a cow. (Although I would actually like to see a bow tie on a cow, now that I think about it. But I am ruining my point.)

I agree, Tom. I've commented a couple of times that I'd rather keep my copy than return it because I like my error copy. It's the integrity of the book that is in question to some people who received their book. People want that page. To read, to collect, for whatever reason, it was requested. And I wouldn't feel comfortable selling, donating, or gifting this book further without that page. Not everyone shares the same liking of error copies as some collectors do.

The second was in the suggestion that we supply complimentary copies for everyone with proper pagination. This was simply met with (1) the response that I believe that offering to exchange the copies at our cost was fair, and (2) with the markup over retail, Julio will at the end have made $5,000 in profit. This is more than ten times what we made on this deal. But that's between him and his buyers, we got the price we were asking, and are happy that the books are out in the world. If at the prices he charged above retail he feels that complimentary copies are necessary in addition to an exchange, I honor his attention to customer service and offered to make more copies available to him at the wholesale price, which is $10 a book.

Actually, Tom, this was not a request. If you go back on the email, I brought this up to you as a suggestion I received from the boards. I also informed you with the suggestions that there were questions that I could not answer.

And please don't try to damage my character by claiming the profit I would make on this project. I'm not the "greedball" you called me via email, Tom. You have no idea the plans I have for this book. But since you are trying to damage my integrity not just here with the community I belong to, but on the Yahoo Group you mass emailed as well,

"One "investor" in special editions has made more profit on Cursed Pirate Girl in 2010 alone than Jeremy Bastian has made in the entire span of time that he has been working on the book."

Let's see how this project is going.

Please keep in mind that not all books have sold. I need to remedy that.

10% went to Jeremy via paypal for what books #1-25 have sold.

15% went to People Self-Help Housing: Youth Education Enhancement Program

Two backers were reimbursed the $1500 they paid plus their share of interest, which was not cheap.

10 copies have been gifted so far.

Another batch of copies is going to be donated to the youth literacy program once the books are corrected, and you can verify that with director of the donation program at PSHH, which you are well aware of who that is. Shoot, I even gifted one to the Staples guy who helped me pick out the paper for the print up in my attempt to further Jeremy's creative genius.

In addition, you asked me to pay another $280 on top of the $1500 to have Jeremy travel to Chicago to meet with you and sign and number the books. Yet, the package of books that I got had a Michigan address, not a Chicago address. Jeremy lives in Michigan.

Some boardies know how much work I put into this project, Tom. I put a ton of work and my name on the line by coordinating and communicating with non-profits, new and known, making phone calls, writing emails, promoting interest in the Kickstarter Project, contacting comic shops, etc. I put in the work and do you expect me to do that for free? With no job right now and taking care of my little girl? Really? As I've told you, Jeremy, and other boardies, my profit as of now is approximately $300.

Hold on, let me pull my Benz to the side of the road so I can text you on my Droid. :eyeroll:

And don't even get me started on my book donations to the libraries that I am in the process of doing. Yup, libraries. Where people can check out the book and have the option to buy it in the future.

You really don't know me, Tom. So I suggest you please refrain from trying to damage my character you know nothing about. I also suggest you correct that distorted mass email you sent to the yahoo group making you look like the "victim". Sorry to say, Tom, but you're not.

Edited by FIREFLY

Always trying to stir things up, huh? Not sure if your ignorant of it, but all you do is prove your true colors, Anthony. Not sure what your problem is with me, or others for that matter, but you really need help, man. I hope you really attain it someday.

I know who I am and I know what this project means to me. Cash? No, dear sir. Ask Jeremy. Ask other boardies true to CPG. I have nothing to hide. Never wanted to use this, but thank you for being the first on my ignore list. Happy Thanksgiving, Anthony. ;)

Always trying to stir things up, huh? Not sure if your ignorant of it, but all you do is prove your true colors, Anthony. Not sure what your problem is with me, or others for that matter, but you really need help, man. I hope you really attain it someday.

I know who I am and I know what this project means to me. Cash? No, dear sir. Ask Jeremy. Ask other boardies true to CPG. I have nothing to hide. Never wanted to use this, but thank you for being the first on my ignore list. Happy Thanksgiving, Anthony. ;)

what that you are a phony? From having to sell off your precious collection (well except for the high dollar stuff you gave to your daughter) to going to SDCC to getting a charity auction since you were down on your luck to having the money to do this big CPG gig. Yea I've shown my true colors.

The request, Tom, was for all 100 books, not just 40. I'm confused as to how Challengers found out about the error before the signing. I didn't know about it in advance. Regardless of the amount, I felt like it was the publishers responsibility to provide the page and not send an email to have people print the page. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Unfortunately we found out last minute, Challengers knew the day of the signing. They offered to print the pages out and insert them, no drama. I suppose I will accept the fault on this one. When these guys who were not making a penny on the thing offered to do the work, I took the words about how much you wanted to support the book to heart and mistakenly assumed that you'd want to do the same thing so that we could focus on getting the book corrected for the other 5,000 copies. I accept that this was my error in judgement, and I publicly apologize.

These get a little heavy-handed, again. But I'll respond in the interest of clarity:

Sure you offered to replace the book, but the book would not be shipped out until the middle of December with the rest of the distributed copies. No longer an Advance Copy. Missing two pages, regardless of what they were. It just doesn't sound right to me either.[/color]

These being stamped as "advance" copies was something we were doing for you as a favor to help you recoup your $1500, not part of the Kickstarter offer. There is nothing short of an Act of God or a Tardis that can remedy that the error affect properly paginated copies being available before the rest of the world gets theirs. Your investors are reimbursed, plus their profits, and you've made a few hundred dollars. This was unquestionably our error. If you want to return the unsold books, I will Paypal you the money today.

It's the integrity of the book that is in question to some people who received their book. People want that page. To read, to collect, for whatever reason, it was requested. And I wouldn't feel comfortable selling, donating, or gifting this book further without that page[/color]

I understand this. We messed up, and MAJORLY. If you don't feel comfortable selling, donating, or gifting this book further, I am happy to exchange them or refund your money. I can Paypal you the funds today. It was never our intention to put anyone out on a limb with this, and I am happy to do anything- reasonable and above board- to make this right.

In addition, you asked me to pay another $280 on top of the $1500 to have Jeremy travel to Chicago to meet with you and sign and number the books. Yet, the package of books that I got had a Michigan address, not a Chicago address. Jeremy lives in Michigan.

This happened because we bought Jeremy's ticket to Chicago- but it wouldn't get the books remarqued and in your hands the weekend of the con you wanted to be able to release them. We wanted to accomodate you on this, so instead of applying that toward travel, we overnighted the giant box around the country to make sure you had it. I paid anything over the $280 out of pocket, because it was necessary you have the books for that show.

Some boardies know how much work I put into this project, Tom. I put a ton of work and my name on the line by coordinating and communicating with non-profits, new and known, making phone calls, writing emails, promoting interest in the Kickstarter Project, contacting comic shops, etc. I put in the work and do you expect me to do that for free? With no job right now and taking care of my little girl? Really? As I've told you, Jeremy, and other boardies, my profit as of now is approximately $300.

I don't get this part, and I'm being sincere: how did you put your name on the line? And no, I myself am old enough that I've learned that no matter what people say, very few people work for free. But to be clear:

Challengers did.

I have, for three years.

And Jeremy does.

I don't begrudge you making a profit at ALL, Julio. I just get confused when you want an award to go along with it.

Hold on, let me pull my Benz to the side of the road so I can text you on my Droid. :eyeroll:

And don't even get me started on my book donations to the libraries that I am in the process of doing. Yup, libraries. Where people can check out the book and have the option to buy it in the future.

You really don't know me, Tom. So I suggest you please refrain from trying to damage my character you know nothing about. I also suggest you correct that distorted mass email you sent to the yahoo group making you look like the "victim". Sorry to say, Tom, but you're not.[/color]

I in no way perceive myself as a victim! Although I drive an old Toyota, and am jealous of your vehicle. I LOVELOVELOVELOVE what I do, and seeing as I haven't been paid on it in three years, I'd be foolish to suggest otherwise. We're coordinating a major library effort in the Spring around the radio play, so I agree that these things are important to get this book into more hands.

And you are right: I don't know you, and I assume the best. All I know is:

• We negotiated a deal on Kickstarter, and I tried to give you above and beyond what the pledge called for.

• As soon as the pledge campaign closed, you asked if you could solicit the books you bought at a hefty markup to the Kickstarter pledgers.

• I told you that I would prefer you didn't, and gave you reasons why I thought it wouldn't go over well.

• You did it anyway.

• People immediately started attacking you on there- they did the math, and it looked a little, well... financially ambitious... to them: "So you're trying to make 6000$+ off a 1,500$ pledge to give 900$ of it to charity? ...just sounds like a bit too much for a person that did nothing on a book that lost money for everyone that worked on it."

• And even though- yes- I don't know you, I am an optimist. I stepped in and calmed everyone down by sticking up for you. Was that a good call? I mean, we are talking about putting names on the line, aren't we?

Once you start making more money on Cursed Pirate Girl than any of us are, you accept the responsibility to the people you are taking that money from. Our deal is with you- you personally.

So:

We messed this up royally.

You've already said that your investors made a tidy profit, you've made a few hundred bucks.

We sent you something incorrect.

I want to return these conversations to what's truly important, the thing whose absence would make all of this irrelevant: ART. Not commerce.

Reveal your intentions, and we will assist you in reaching whatever your personal goal is for this project.

While we acknowledge our error, we cannot accommodate any suggestions beyond return or exchange. It's been one week, and you are already in the black on this. Do you want to return the rest of the books, for a full refund, including shipping costs, so you are no longer in this compromised position, and this way you come out where you made a profit for your investors, and yourself, with no potential for further problems?

Please let me know what I can do to make this right for you.

And PLEASE- let's get these threads back to talking about how AWESOME THIS BOOK IS!!!!!

Tom

Olympian Publishing

Century Guild

•  
  • People immediately started attacking you on there- they did the math, and it looked a little, well... financially ambitious... to them: "So you're trying to make 6000$+ off a 1,500$ pledge to give 900$ of it to charity? ...just sounds like a bit too much for a person that did nothing on a book that lost money for everyone that worked on it."

• And even though- yes- I don't know you, I am an optimist. I stepped in and calmed everyone down by sticking up for you. Was that a good call? I mean, we are talking about putting names on the line, aren't we?

Tom, you were the one that advised me to not defend myself after those posts were made by those people. I wanted to let everyone know what my intentions were with the book. It does not take a rocket scientist to go to kickstarter and do the math. There was nothing to hide, but I took your advice on not posting something and telling me that the information I was going to give would seem like I was "backtracking" and that it would all "wash out". Yet, here you are bringing this up about numbers and trying to make people question my integrity.

Once you start making more money on Cursed Pirate Girl than any of us are, you accept the responsibility to the people you are taking that money from. Our deal is with you- you personally.

I think you missed the part where I stated the facts about where this project was going and the expenses. I am not getting rich off of this contrary to what some mis-informed individuals are operating under. Like I said, you really don't know me and neither do they.

What it all comes down to and as I have stated earlier, Tom, I know who I am and I know what this project means to me. As you can see by the one previous ignorant and malicious comment made about me, how can I not take your PM as an attack? Please don't portray yourself to be a nice guy with me on the opposite end.

While we acknowledge our error, we cannot accommodate any suggestions beyond return or exchange. It's been one week, and you are already in the black on this. Do you want to return the rest of the books, for a full refund, including shipping costs, so you are no longer in this compromised position, and this way you come out where you made a profit for your investors, and yourself, with no potential for further problems?

I've already brought this up before the the boardies via this thread and via PMs. Not one person requested an exchange. A couple did want to exchange, but only if it was with the pin-ups. Unfortunately, from your explanation this is not doable. One wise boardie told me, "It is what it is". I'm already in the process of providing that page for them. As for what's left over, donated, gifted or sold, they will also have the inserted page and will be sold as an error copy WITH pin-ups. I have no problem taking on that responsibility.

Please let me know what I can do to make this right for you.

I got a great email response from Jeremy acknowledging his commission payment so far and it was a pleasant email indeed. Nothing but good vibes and appreciation from him. Love the guy to death. I'm just going to continue supporting and communicating with who it's really about and the creative genius that drives CPG. Thanks for the offer, but I will be moving forward this way.

As for the yahoo message you posted attacking my character out of ignorance and making me out to be a "greedball", I'm just going to move on. I know who I am and I know what this project means to me. I'm investing in the young future readers while having a great time supporting Jeremy.

Good luck with your plans.

Edited by FIREFLY

JJ sent me the first app so I read it to see what all the fuss is about. THANKS JJ!! (thumbs u I can really appreciate the effort the artist went to producing the book. Its artistically beautiful. Its not for me though its too difficult to read

Having said that if I find anything else produced/printed by Olympian I can buy I will. The dedication shown here goes along way in showing their committment. I commend you sir.

Edited by Fastballspecial