• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value of a trimmed book...

34 posts in this topic

I am being offered a trimmed book at about 50% of guide for a classic atomic age issue. The book is CGC'd and was identified as having a trimmed top cover. I know many folks here would not even consider purchasing such an issue, but I am just looking for opinions. Is 50% of guide a reasonable price for such an issue?

If it's a book that normally goes for guide, then no, the price is high. But if it's an over-guide book to begin with, then the price might be OK.

Good point. I would say it should go for 25 % of FMV, maybe a little more for

a highly desirable book.

It would also depend on grade. 50% of unrestored FMV might be reasonable for a slightly trimmed 2.0 or even 3.0 book. 25% might be too much for a trimmed 9.0.

If it is a broadly recognized "classic", then 50% of guide may be well under 25% of FMV.

If it's a hard to find book, you just have to find a price you're confortable with and decide if you can live with the defect (since trimming is generally the most despised form of restoration - be aware that reselling it may be harder than if it had minor color touch or tear seals).

I may be able to stomache 50% of condition Ostreet if the comic was micro-trimmed or shaved. Seems like less of a flaw to me than 7 inches of acidic tape on the spine which would :o garner a lovely blue Cgc label.

I may be able to stomache 50% of condition Ostreet if the comic was micro-trimmed or shaved. Seems like less of a flaw to me than 7 inches of acidic tape on the spine which would :o garner a lovely blue Cgc label.

:frustrated:

I would think closer to 25%.

I know I've said this before...but that's insane. And it's not you, it's the market which actually helps out collectors like myself...

rantrant

To me, the worst types of restoration are kinds that make the comic less original; for lack of a better phrase. Adding pieces to the cover is in some ways the worst because the book simply isn't original anymore.

Cleaning the cover or pages is bad because the book never really withstood the test of time in the way that the restored appearence might suggest.

But trimming to me, contrary to popular opinion, is one of the forms of restoration that bothers me the least. Often times the trimming doesn't even make the book look better and when it does, at least what you see is original; but altered.

But to pay 25% of what it would be worth otherwise to me is insane and I understand that rule doesn't apply to all instances. But lets say you have a CGC's 9.0 AF #15 with the only restoration being a trimmed top for instance, I'd gladly pay 50% of what would be an unrestored asking price to get a copy in MUCH better shape.

If you're paying 25-50% of unrestored value, is it really better to get a MUCH lower graded copy just to avoid the trimming for an equal asking price?

My personal opinions might not be the best investment move, but what I value is significance first, but then how well the book withstood the test of time. Most trimmed books capture that.

I am being offered a trimmed book at about 50% of guide for a classic atomic age issue. The book is CGC'd and was identified as having a trimmed top cover. I know many folks here would not even consider purchasing such an issue, but I am just looking for opinions. Is 50% of guide a reasonable price for such an issue?

Trimmed on the top side only? Or are you saying just the front cover was trimmed? I think you mean the top side was trimmed. If it's the slightest of trims, I might pay 50% for highly sought book. If it is trimmed so much it's easily noticeable, then no I wouldn't pay 50%.

Also consider how much the book means to you, is this likely the only one you can afford that has high eye appeal (assuming it does). Might be the one for you.

I predict at some point in the future you will see the going rate for restored key books creep up percentage wise. Just because there are so few books to pursue.

I know I've said this before...but that's insane. And it's not you, it's the market which actually helps out collectors like myself...

rantrant

To me, the worst types of restoration are kinds that make the comic less original; for lack of a better phrase. Adding pieces to the cover is in some ways the worst because the book simply isn't original anymore.

Cleaning the cover or pages is bad because the book never really withstood the test of time in the way that the restored appearence might suggest.

But trimming to me, contrary to popular opinion, is one of the forms of restoration that bothers me the least. Often times the trimming doesn't even make the book look better and when it does, at least what you see is original; but altered.

But to pay 25% of what it would be worth otherwise to me is insane and I understand that rule doesn't apply to all instances. But lets say you have a CGC's 9.0 AF #15 with the only restoration being a trimmed top for instance, I'd gladly pay 50% of what would be an unrestored asking price to get a copy in MUCH better shape.

If you're paying 25-50% of unrestored value, is it really better to get a MUCH lower graded copy just to avoid the trimming for an equal asking price?

My personal opinions might not be the best investment move, but what I value is significance first, but then how well the book withstood the test of time. Most trimmed books capture that.

so, saying a 9.0 AF15 that would sell for , say $150K, would prompt you to pay $75K for a trimmed copy (shrug)

Your quote is a bit confusing but I know what you mean...nothing unoriginal has been added to the book.

I feel the same way...I don't mind a book that might be trimmed and prefer it to a book with chunks added or some color touch.

rantrant

so, saying a 9.0 AF15 that would sell for , say $150K, would prompt you to pay $75K for a trimmed copy (shrug)

Only if paying 50% wouldn't be above what is normal in those types of instances and to be honest, I'm not sure if it is or not.

But for arguments sake, lets say that I had 75k to spend and AF #15 was the book I was targeting, I'd much rather spend 75k for a 9.0 trimmed than to spend 75k for an unrestored copy that might grade much lower.

Now I realize on a book like AF #15 there might be a huge jump in going from an 8.0 to a 9.0 so this specific issue might not be the best example, but I think you know what I mean.

A better example might be the qualified 9.4 on Comiclink right now. I'd rather have that copy than a universal 6.5 which might have a similar asking price. I even seem to recall someone saying that the 9.4 was being sold for less a little while ago but never met its asking price.

If it was selling for less than the 30k being asked now, I would have been even more interested if I had those types of funds. There are a number of 6.5's out there but how often do you see a 9.4?

I feel similar about the binder holes as I do about trimming. Nothing has been added to the book yet it managed to survive the test of time very well. I'd be happy to accept the defect if the discount was large enough, especially if the same money would only get me a much lower graded unrestored copy.

I'm not saying that would be a wise investment, I'm just speaking about my personal opinions as a collector.

Your quote is a bit confusing but I know what you mean...nothing unoriginal has been added to the book.

I feel the same way...I don't mind a book that might be trimmed and prefer it to a book with chunks added or some color touch.

and I thought I was the only one

I have no problem with DISCLOSED micro trim

when the price is right

A better example might be the qualified 9.4 on Comiclink right now. I'd rather have that copy than a universal 6.5 which might have a similar asking price. I even seem to recall someone saying that the 9.4 was being sold for less a little while ago but never met its asking price.

If it was selling for less than the 30k being asked now, I would have been even more interested if I had those types of funds. There are a number of 6.5's out there but how often do you see a 9.4?

You bristled at 25% of market value for just a trim...but you're not even willing to pay 10% to 15% of normal market value of a 9.4 at $200K - $250 for the hypothetical hole-punched AF15...so I'm now confused. :insane:

Now I realize on a book like AF #15 there might be a huge jump in going from an 8.0 to a 9.0 so this specific issue might not be the best example, but I think you know what I mean.

I feel similar about the binder holes as I do about trimming. Nothing has been added to the book yet it managed to survive the test of time very well. I'd be happy to accept the defect if the discount was large enough, especially if the same money would only get me a much lower graded unrestored copy.

I'm not saying that would be a wise investment, I'm just speaking about my personal opinions as a collector.

I wonder if that $27,500 bid on CLink is a chandelier (sham) bid. I find it hard to believe that anyone would be willing to spend $30K for that book with the three binder holes. Jus' mah 'pinion.

I wonder if that $27,500 bid on CLink is a chandelier (sham) bid. I find it hard to believe that anyone would be willing to spend $30K for that book with the three binder holes. Jus' mah 'pinion.

I agree. To better put it into perspective, what do books with hole punches normally get when graded under the blue label? I think Gator said he knew of a few that had gotten in the 3.0 or so range, but I forget exactly.

You bristled at 25% of market value for just a trim...but you're not even willing to pay 10% to 15% of normal market value of a 9.4 at $200K - $250 for the hypothetical hole-punched AF15...so I'm now confused. :insane:

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but if we were speaking hypothetically, I would be interested in the 30k 9.4 given the discount; provided that the FMV would equate to the 6.5 I used as an example.

Now if the 9.4 was worth only half of that (lets say 15k) then of course I rather have a book worth 30k. What I'm trying to express is that if the value of two books is equal but one has trimming and/or a defect like binder holes, I would rather have the much higher graded book.

I agree. To better put it into perspective, what do books with hole punches normally get when graded under the blue label? I think Gator said he knew of a few that had gotten in the 3.0 or so range, but I forget exactly.

Quite possibly true, but not all grades are created equal. If that 9.4 would grade a 3.0 universal, it would be a copy better preserved than any 3.0 you'll ever see. It would only be down-graded due to the rules that only allow for certain defects in certain grades.

For instance, a 9.4 copy missing one non-Spiderman page might grade a 0.5 but to compare it to a copy that may have lined a bird-cage would illustrate how very different the books would be in spite of an equal grade.

I realize that you know this but I'm just trying to illustrate the value there is to be had in very well preserved books despite major defects.

That AF15 9.4 hole punch is a great value. The only problem is the liquidity issue. The question is, how many folks would want to own a 9.4 with hole punch. My preference, I would rather own a 9.4 with a married page NOT hole punched.