• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,510 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2023 at 2:40 PM, Math Teacher said:

I figured that there wouldn't be a large crowd for the Heritage Auction that ended last night. So, I put in a bid on Tales of Suspense #45 CGC 4.5 and look what happened. 

ToS45.thumb.jpg.ce164b7900f4dca16258f8f38be7c202.jpg

Considering that a CGC 4.0 sold for $410 on 04/09/2023, this is a prime example of the adage, "It's better to be lucky than good!"

Nice pickup.

To be honest, I am of mixed minds when it comes to evaluating "deals" and "bargains" at the sub-$1,000 end of the market, and certainly when you get below $500 or even $300.  Yes, on the one hand you could say that this purchase is discounted 30% off established FMV.  But on the other hand, it's a little over $100 ... and in my experience, 100 bucks is a very fungible amount for the kind of people who bid on auctions.

What I'm trying to say, in mathematical terms (since you are a math teacher!), is that the lower the price goes, the more I believe the statistical variation / margin of error among similar sales should be thought of in absolute numerical terms, not as a percentage.

But congrats on the score nonetheless!  I swear I'm not trying to rain on the parade.  :foryou:

On 6/2/2023 at 3:49 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Local shop purchase for cheap!

IMG_20230602_125308.jpg

Me and my dad were talking about these today. His favorite comic in the Golden age was shazam, not marvel family. Lcs had got some in and I told him. I also couldn't wait until father's day and gave him a Shazam 1 from 1973 over coffee, that he then paused to open, flip through and ooh and ahh even at the ads!

Story short he called today to say he wouldn't make it by the lcs for golden age, but told me of these classics illustrated that was also read by him. I told him a half price books had a cubby designed for these and Dell and other ephemera, which was again replied with "Ah cool!"

Just in passing since that all happened within 24 hours lol

I thought I'd mention. Thanks for posting!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/2/2023 at 4:52 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Me and my dad were talking about these today. His favorite comic in the Golden age was shazam, not marvel family. Lcs had got some in and I told him. I also couldn't wait until father's day and gave him a Shazam 1 from 1973 over coffee, that he then paused to open, flip through and ooh and ahh even at the ads!

Story short he called today to say he wouldn't make it by the lcs for golden age, but told me of these classics illustrated that was also read by him. I told him a half price books had a cubby designed for these and Dell and other ephemera, which was again replied with "Ah cool!"

Just in passing since that all happened within 24 hours lol

I thought I'd mention. Thanks for posting!

It's so cool that you and your dad share your love of comics!!! That's got to be an awesome thing to have!!!