• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,510 posts in this topic

Pedigree Grand Auction. I just wish I now chased the Northland #134 a little harder when it was in the last auction, would look nice next to this issue. :(

Thats a DAMN nice book! Congrats! :applause:

I've given up on Pedigree's auctions. 8 books i was looking at and every single one of them didnt hit reserve for the 4th auction in a row. I'm glad i saved myself the aggravation and didnt bid this time! When a book doesnt hit reserve 4 months in a row, isnt it time to lower the reserve??? hm

I dont think i could handle another round of emails offering me the books for double GPA after not hitting reserve.

sufunk / Silver Surfer, which books were those.? I have been the high bidder 4 consecutive times now on Thor #126 (each time finishing with a higher bid; this last time with a 6K bid) but still reserve wasn't met.

sufunk / Silver Surfer, which books were those.? I have been the high bidder 4 consecutive times now on Thor #126 (each time finishing with a higher bid; this last time with a 6K bid) but still reserve wasn't met.

I have been there right with you Pete :hi:

The magic number on that book was $7500...no freakin way

Steve

Steve

Whats up Steve? Where you been? I expected to see you post half the TC books after the Heritage auction.

The books i wanted were smaller books, mostly BA 1st issues i wanted for my project like Arrgh, Beware, Fear, Gunhawks and such. Literally, 3 months in a row, i was the ONLY bidder on most of them and didnt hit reserve. Then i get an email the next day with an "offer" thats basically double or more GPA. I'm like, "Ummmm, 4 months in a row NO ONE but me bid on this book and he wants DOUBLE gpa?!?". I think the sellers might be over estimating demand just a tad (thumbs u

I gave up this month and didnt even bother bidding and again none of them hit reserve. Exactly how many months can you leave a book at auction without hitting reserve before you rethink your number??? hm

$7,500 !!!! (ouch !! ) The Twin Cities copy went for just under 5.5K ( ok,ok... it has OWW and the centering isn't perfect ) but don't think it justifies dropping an extra 2k...

other 9.6s will eventually show and price drops are bound to happen.

Edited by Peter in Portugal

The books i wanted were smaller books, mostly BA 1st issues i wanted for my project like Arrgh, Beware, Fear, Gunhawks and such.

I placed a bid on each of them this month. Didn't hit reserve with very few (sometimes only me) bidders.

Steve

Whats up Steve? Where you been? I expected to see you post half the TC books after the Heritage auction.

Nahhh, they were beauts though, still recovering from my daughters marriage but do have some new books in the collection...dd10 9.6 from the auction, Cap100 9.8, Surfer 4 9.6 and a couple others I don't remember at the moment. :)

Whole lotta pressin' goin' on! meh

No way around it. So far, at least 11 copies from my JIM run have been upgraded, including the 115 to the first ever 9.8. :boo:

Whole lotta pressin' goin' on! meh

No way around it. So far, at least 11 copies from my JIM run have been upgraded, including the 115 to the first ever 9.8. :boo:

Speaking of your legendary JIM/Thor run, Bob, you had some of those issues for a long time, such as the Mass. copy of #85 since around '94?

JIM85.jpg

I have an 8.5 copy that's very similar to that one, with a smaller Marvel chip, that probably prevents it from being a candidate for a resubmission to get a 9.0, even if it were pressed. I've come across several cgc 9.0 books with "Marvel pre-chipping" (chipped, but still attached), but I have not found any examples thus far of a 9.0 with a chip.

An optimistic collector would term those as "affordability chips." meh

I've come across several cgc 9.0 books with "Marvel pre-chipping" (chipped, but still attached), but I have not found any examples thus far of a 9.0 with a chip.

See the Twin Cities Strange Tales #107 I just posted above. CGC graded it 9.0. It's an otherwise 9.6 comic with two small chips missing from the right edge.

As for the JIM85 from the Massachsetts collection, I bought it from Marnin in '94 for around $250. Those were the days...