• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

Bump. Disappointingly, the original photo where the glue, tacking iron, etc., is seen is no longer in the OP. Anybody have a copy?

You mean this?

98161.jpg

(it's on page one. or page one for me; i have my settings to show 50 posts/page)

One of the all-time classic 'Oh Snap' moments that this Board has ever offered! :applause::roflmao:

Steve! How dare you impugn the integrity of someone who has been around so long and is so unwell? Have you no empathy? Have you no compassion?

are there no prisons? are there no work-houses?

Yep. We're posting in them.

Bump. Disappointingly, the original photo where the glue, tacking iron, etc., is seen is no longer in the OP. Anybody have a copy?

You mean this?

98161.jpg

(it's on page one. or page one for me; i have my settings to show 50 posts/page)

bill_murray-stripes1981-1355_zps71d5cd4d.jpg

You mean this?

98161.jpg

One of the all-time classic 'Oh Snap' moments that this Board has ever offered! :applause::roflmao:

Steve! How dare you impugn the integrity of someone who has been around so long and is so unwell? Have you no empathy? Have you no compassion?

Lock me away. Throw away the key.

You mean this?

98161.jpg

There is someone in my head and it's not Mitch

You mean this?

98161.jpg

There is someone in my head and it's not Mitch

Wouldnt dream of it.

You mean this?

98161.jpg

Sad isn't it.

It's like we've been Lance Armstrong-ed all over again.

I feel unwashed...

You mean this?

98161.jpg

Sad isn't it.

It's like we've been Lance Armstrong-ed all over again.

I feel unwashed...

We all feel unwashed since Nelson just left us.How will we manage without him? If Mitch wants to talk about great men, let him talk about Madiba, not Beerbong.

I honestly could weep.

Wow. Bob is melting down on Facebook. Started a group called "CGC Is A Ponzi Scheme Fraud", wrote a lengthy, profanity-laden diatribe about CGC, and added people to the group without their permission. Jim Halperin, Steve Borock, Steve Geppi, and Gary Colabuono have already responded in strong language that they do not approve of the group and want to be removed immediately.

Wow. Bob is melting down on Facebook. Started a group called "CGC Is A Ponzi Scheme Fraud" and added people to the group without their permission. Jim Halperin, Steve Borock, Steve Geppi, and Gary Colabuono have already responded in strong language that they do not approve of the group and want to be removed immediately.

That is almost enough to make me want to rejoin Facebook.

But not quite.

What is he saying Jeff?

Wow. Bob is melting down on Facebook. Started a group called "CGC Is A Ponzi Scheme Fraud" and added people to the group without their permission. Jim Halperin, Steve Borock, Steve Geppi, and Gary Colabuono have already responded in strong language that they do not approve of the group and want to be removed immediately.

But not quite.

What is he saying Jeff?

The same old sad tale about the All-Star #8, and the "cabal" of boardies who attacked him here when he posted about it.

But not quite.

What is he saying Jeff?

BLB's facebook flip-out... He has taken a nosedive right off of his rocker

Robert Beerbohm

CGC is a Ponzi Scheme Fraud which should be exposed for the harm it does to the hobby of collecting comic books.

I have heard many horror stories about this firm Comics 'Guarantee' Corporation which guarantees nothing except take your money and leave you out to dry dangling in the wind dating back to its inception.

CGC plays "favorites" with a certain inner circle few who receive preferential treatment over the vast majority of its "clients."

CGC damages collector's comic books, then basicly tells the hapless victim to go themselves. This is what happened to the Jerry Bails copy of All Star Comics #8 when his widow Jean Bails asked me in early 2007 to broker the remnants of the founder of comics fandom.

I sold the art he had left in one package to one person for well over $100K. That came off with out a hitch.

So many "experts" in the field of vintage comic books insisted I had to have what was left of his All Star Comics collection 4-32 34 35 37-57 "certified" in coffin slabs by this firm CGC located in Florida.

That I would be doing an injustice if I did not.

Turned in to a nightmare

CGC damaged All Star Comics #7 getting a swath of two inch wide packaging tape across the front cover. Whoops

Popped the lower staple on its gem key first Wonder Woman appearance All Star #8 - and when I stated to them their insurance company should pay a check directly to Jean, they told me to go myself

When I informed Jean Bails of this turn of events, asked her as owner to call CGC direct, they told her to off

And then tried to shift this blame on to me as if I had done this damage

CGC is a liar fraud company and it is high time they are exposed for the fraud they have been to many an unsuspecting collector

Several prominent collector persons local to me here inspected the comics before I placed them in a jewelers display briefcase, boarded a plane to Florida, hand delivered the All Star Comics to them in good faith

As one enters CGC HQ there is a glass enclosed conference room to the left. I was directed in to its confines. Therein then head grader Steve Borock, 2nd head dude Mark Haspiel, and 3rd honcho West Stephens all inspected the goods.

Mark & West were closely examining Jerry Bails' All Stars marveling at many of them. Oh, sez Mark, the #5 looks to be a Mile High Comics issue

Wow, they go, #6 is Tom "San Francisco" Reilly copy

Damn, #19 looks like it also is a Mile High.

Then they get to Jerry Bails All Star #8. They all stop, look at very very closely. Mark and West say to me it looks like it will come in as the "highest graded copy" they have ever seen.

I knew it to be a nice one. So did the locals who marveled at Jerry's All Stars.

Two months later Steve Borock brings the two boxes of slabbed up coffins to me Wednesday afternoon at San Diego Comicon.

He makes quick mention of some accident wherein at CGC some unknown employee had gotten two inch wide package mailing tape on the front cover of the #7 - so they were adjusting something or other on it

He then goes to leave, and I say wait a sec, let me flip thru these first

He paused. I flip a bit, hit the #8 very curious to see where it came out. I see instead the Purple Kiss of Death label on it

The All Star #8 label also says "bottom staple popped and loose" or some such

I say, "What is this? Bottom staple loose from book? That is impossible"

Steve says he has more books to deliver, and quickly departs, leaving me there basicly with my proverbial in my hand, pondering WTF?

Several locals had inspected it. Steve, Mark Haspiel, West Stephens has all inspected it at CGC World HQ in Florida. No one prior had seen and/or made mention of a lower bottom popped staple

As I stare at the All Star #8 in its hard plastic coffin, along walks Matt Nelson, who does restoration works for a lot of people for years, presses books to make them higher grades, now works directly for CGC in its HQ plying his trade

I ask him if he has has very much experience with opening one of these plastic coffins up. He says Yes, and proceeds to show me how it is done.

He carefully pulls out the All Star #8, carefully, slowly, opens the All Star #8 and the FIRST thing either one of us sees is this gaping hole where the book used to be firm snug as a bug at its lower staple

CGC for what ever reason damaged this All Star #8 - when I dropped them off, they were categorically stating it looked like it would come in "highest graded copy"

CGC also stated it had a drop of glue at the bottom of the bottom staple PLUS a drop of "color touch" same spot - Huh?

Now, this magical drop of glue and drop of color touch is one thing - and I would not put it past some one there to have done that

BUT, for the staple to pull away from its mooring while in their custody is quite another.

Incensed a bit, when getting no where with CGC employee types I called up CGC co-owners Steve Geppi as well as Jim Halpren, also an owner in Heritage Comics Auctions to see about proper compensation for Jean Bails. Not for me. I said to them I think CGC's insurance company should buy this All Star #8 from Jean - and mail her a check directly

I was blown off with both saying while they each own a piece of CGC, they have no sway in the firm's operations. Odd, I thought, CGC owners have no say in getting the firm to do the right thing for Jerry Bail's widow?

So I took the case on to CGC's internal form many call "the boards"

A small cabal started attacking me thereon as if I had damaged Jerry's All Star #8. And the sociopathic attacks have been on-going ever since

The above is the public record truth. There is more detail, but I hope most of the gist of this I have laid out that CGC damaged Jerry's All Star #7 and #8 - and will not provide proper recompense direct to Jean Bails

This is not about me. It is about justice being served.

I would have addressed and attacked this stronger earlier since this happened summer of 2007, but I fell in to a medical repair imbroglio which lasted well over half a decade.

I am back, I am out raged, I hope you are also. If you are, please share this far and wide, press on CGC to do the right thing, compensate Jean Bails properly. Don't just tell her and myself to off.

Thank you for reading this far, and, again, share with your friends. There are other horror stories CGC has perped on collector.

Here is what the front and back to All Star #8 scanned as before taking Jerry's collection down to Florida to CGC World HQ -

Share · 6 hours ago · Edited

Seen by 5

Robert Beerbohm I have kept quiet about this travesty for some years now, vainly trying to work within their system for proper justice on this matter.

They have proven themselves to be sociopaths and the gloves are now off. They have had attack dogs on me on their "boards" now since 2007.

Some how they have been trying to make me in to the perp who messed with Jerry's All Star #8. They have no idea who they are with here. Please pardon the harsh words, because they have seen nothing yet.

I have friends in major media and CGC has brain washed enough unsuspecting souls long enough with their "bigger fool" theories of comics mercantiling.

They want to mess with me, they better bring along bigger guns than they have to date. I have been standing tall in this hobby turned in to a business for 47 years now. Rewrote the history books that America's first comic book dates to 1842.

That caveat aside, them seriously damaging Jerry's All Star #8 and then go telling me, PLUS Jerry's widow, to off is plain wrong.

They have spent some time now spreading and condoning lies about me and my integrity in the comics business. I have surely had my ups and downs in life, we all have, and I did fall in to a serious medical pit from 2007-2011, but am steadily climbing back out of it one step at a time via my eBay comics store with its 99.7% positive feedback rating of which I am proud. Still trying to close that point three of one per cent gap to 100% but I move a little slower than I used to. Just can not set up at the shows like I did since my first one in Houston June 1967 age 15 after a 28 hour Greyhound Bus ride.

6 hours ago

Steve Geppi Bob, for the record, I am not now, nor have I ever been, a co-owner of CGC. You should do some fact checking before posting something like this.

3 hours ago via mobile · 1

There are too many *spoons*, sheer delusion, and anti-CGC rhetoric for me to paste it here in full.