• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

I can be sued for anything. Whether the plaintiff wins, that is a totally different question. Note that in the article you linked, the contractor lost and the ruling to rewrite the post was vacated.

I was just curious as to who was legally responsible for the posts - the OP or the site that hosts them. The law may be different in the UK but I always assumed that the site hosts did hold some legal responsibility if they employed moderators on their forums - since it would be the moderators responsibility to remove anything perceived to be defamatory.

I can be sued for anything. Whether the plaintiff wins, that is a totally different question. Note that in the article you linked, the contractor lost and the ruling to rewrite the post was vacated.

No doubt though that the defendant lost - as in large dollars for legal defense.

I was just curious as to who was legally responsible for the posts - the OP or the site that hosts them. The law may be different in the UK but I always assumed that the site hosts did hold some legal responsibility if they employed moderators on their forums - since it would be the moderators responsibility to remove anything perceived to be defamatory.

From that article, it appears the order to rewrite was vacated as a violation of 1st amendment rights, but the court ruled that the writer could be used for defamation/libel. There is a reference in the article to 42 USC 230 which states:

"No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider."

The law is very different in the UK so, for example, there are books that aren't published in the UK that are in the US for that reason. There are Federal and state specific laws in the US and there is a lot of confusion as to whether a jurisdiction's laws apply. If there is no presence of a company in a jurisdiction than it may be difficult to get a fine paid or judgment complied with.

i cannot even begin to tell you how much fun the deposing attorney would have with bob. all his social media stuff printed up for cross, the "stories" circulating thru the years [perhaps not admissable at trial, but fair game for depo purposes]....

i'd do that depo for free.

i cannot even begin to tell you how much fun the deposing attorney would have with bob. all his social media stuff printed up for cross, the "stories" circulating thru the years [perhaps not admissable at trial, but fair game for depo purposes]....

"...the "stories" circulating thru the years..."

A novel to be sure!

It's been a long time since I made anyone cry during a depo.

I'm assuming that's a euphemism for bad sex.

That is a fair reading. I will give you that.

That is a fair reading. I will give you that.

lol

Depo Throat?

Depo Throat?

:golfclap:

I would pay for admission.

...it appears the order to rewrite was vacated as a violation of 1st amendment rights, but the court ruled that the writer could be used for defamation/libel. There is a reference in the article to 42 USC 230:

The courts have held that 42 USC 230 cannot infringe on 1st amendment rights, and have repeatedly frowned upon such internet-related suits.

Can you imagine the nightmare which would unfold if people were not allowed to express an opinion on the internet at the risk of being sued?

Regardless of what we individually may think of the ACLU, they have worked pro bono with defendants and have prevailed in such cases.

CGC has nothing to worry about re: BLB, and besides who wouldn't love to see him in court.