• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

Honestly it doesn't even matter what the motive or intentions were.

I was actually thinking of the few remaining well-wishers and serial doubters who are experiencing such heartfelt grief for Beerbohm over this situation, not fully understanding that this is a long-standing, dirty little hobby secret involving BLB (and not some recently manifested issue that has suddenly developed due to hard times).

But then some women line-up by the dozens at the gates of prison in hopes of earning the affections of a serial killer, so go figure. There always will be a few...

The sad part is that widow ain't gettin' paid. :sorry:

Id have more confidence in the bank of Nigeria than in that particular IOU

I would guess she would have little legal recourse based on my guess they didn't get things in writing. I am really sad for her.

Honestly it doesn't even matter what the motive or intentions were.

I was actually thinking of the few remaining well-wishers and serial doubters who are experiencing such heartfelt grief for Beerbohm over this situation, not fully understanding that this is a long-standing, dirty little hobby secret involving BLB (and not some recently manifested issue that has suddenly developed due to hard times).

But then some women line-up by the dozens at the gates of prison in hopes of earning the affections of a serial killer, so go figure. There always will be a few...

Yeah fair enough. I certainly hope Mitch isn't still pumping Bobs tires after all this.

The sad part is that widow ain't gettin' paid. :sorry:

Id have more confidence in the bank of Nigeria than in that particular IOU

I would guess she would have little legal recourse based on my guess they didn't get things in writing. I am really sad for her.

Not to mention that its hard to force payment when someone is broke.

Sadly, there is a precedent for that in the hobby. When Rick Durrell died, his widow turned down an enormous cash offer when she fell under the spell of Ernie Gerber's promises to ultimately pay her 3X-4X my cash offer. In the end she got virtually nothing. That won't happen to my wife when I die as I have given her strict instructions on who she can trust to help her and to ignore the lies and promises she hears from others. You might want to do the same thing.

Good point, Rich - I recall when Chuck McCleary (one of Durrell's best friends) first told me this very same story, relating that Rick's widow got less than .10c-on-the-dollar from Gerber when all was said and done.

For me unwittingly at the time, and for the vast majority of hobbyists now, Gerber's legacy is cemented in the wonderful photo journals that he produced, with his dark chapters having all but been overlooked except by very few.

Jean Bails has posted on Facebook (this is cross-posted from the Probation Discussion thread):

Even Jerry Bail's wife was ripped off by him (read her comment on his facebook page, for you non-FBers: Jean Bails "I should probably add here that some refuse to buy from Bob because he owes me a lot of money for comics he sold from Jerry's small collection. I have given Bob some financial grace/leeway because of the enormous problems he has faced. The only way he can pay me back is by selling comics and memorabelia (sp?). So a boycott of Bob only serves to hurt me as well."

:o And Beerbohm has the gall to pretend that he has been championing Jean Bails' cause all along.

Some people just have no shame.

Looks like BLB's house-of-cards is collapsing as we speak...

You know I don't post in these BLB and MM threads but this above is news to me and I am speechless. I recall how much hulabaloo BLB made about how he was selling Jerry's collection for Jean and so on ... and THIS! I cannot (and probably should not) express my outrage but it's seething.

Jean Bails has posted on Facebook (this is cross-posted from the Probation Discussion thread):

Even Jerry Bail's wife was ripped off by him (read her comment on his facebook page, for you non-FBers: Jean Bails "I should probably add here that some refuse to buy from Bob because he owes me a lot of money for comics he sold from Jerry's small collection. I have given Bob some financial grace/leeway because of the enormous problems he has faced. The only way he can pay me back is by selling comics and memorabelia (sp?). So a boycott of Bob only serves to hurt me as well."

:o And Beerbohm has the gall to pretend that he has been championing Jean Bails' cause all along.

You know I don't post in these BLB and MM threads but this above is news to me and I am speechless. I recall how much hulabaloo BLB made about how he was selling Jerry's collection for Jean and so on ... and THIS! I cannot (and probably should not) express my outrage but it's seething.

totally agree. first thing I noticed on his facebook page is that he posted the "before" photo of the All-Star #8 showing the color-touch at the bottom (If I remember correctly I was the first person to point that out on the boards), so right away I was laughing, then I saw the poor post from Jean and my heart sank.

How low that he can justify stealing from an old widow.

Agreed, he couldn't stoop lower if he tried.

All -

The issues surrounding Bob are spiraling out of control. There are many statements that can be considered defamatory being posted on the Boards and elsewhere, both directed at CGC and others.

CGC has always been very open and receptive in trying not to micromanage these boards but this situation is creating far too much controversy and animosity in many different directions and it cannot continue.

The best way to have this matter fade away is to simply let it go or at least take it elsewhere. Debating the situation merely adds fuel to the fire.

On behalf of CGC, I am respectfully asking everyone to please cease the discussion. CGC does not want to have to continually lock threads or suspend forum members. Of all places, the Gold Section has always been home to substantive comic book discussions and it should remain as such.

Thanks.

Mark:

Thank you for your level head and patience with this issue. I would like to ask a question. I have spent the last week plus putting together the facts and information for a Hall of Shame vote over in the marketplace section. The reason I have taken my time with this and trying to put together such a strong argument is particularly because of his history. On 3 separate occasions I have solicited feedback from both sides of the argument. My question is should this discussion and vote be postponed/canceled or is it still ok to continue with? Thank you again.

I respect you trying to help me a couple weeks ago, Mark. But there is no way I can let this go. Not in a million years. He did this to himself. He's continuuing to do this to himself. As far as defamation goes? It's not defamation if it's true. Or if the guys reputation is already so horrible it can't possibly be destroyed more. I'm sure you'd make the same arguments if you were prosecuting a case here.

I'll shut up as soon as he makes right with me. I'm a board member. He's a board member. We have now made a deal on the collectors website, following all the rules here. He'll keep to it, or to the gallows with him.

Mark:

Thank you for your level head and patience with this issue. I would like to ask a question. I have spent the last week plus putting together the facts and information for a Hall of Shame vote over in the marketplace section. The reason I have taken my time with this and trying to put together such a strong argument is particularly because of his history. On 3 separate occasions I have solicited feedback from both sides of the argument. My question is should this discussion and vote be postponed/canceled or is it still ok to continue with? Thank you again.

See PM :gossip:

I respect you trying to help me a couple weeks ago, Mark. But there is no way I can let this go. Not in a million years. He did this to himself. He's continuuing to do this to himself. As far as defamation goes? It's not defamation if it's true. Or if the guys reputation is already so horrible it can't possibly be destroyed more. I'm sure you'd make the same arguments if you were prosecuting a case here.

I'll shut up as soon as he makes right with me. I'm a board member. He's a board member. We have now made a deal on the collectors website, following all the rules here. He'll keep to it, or to the gallows with him.

Matt, no one is telling you to let it go, but I am saying to let it go from CGC's boards. You have made your point multiple times and everyone is aware of it. You have a legal right to either seek reimbursement or force Bob to provide you with the goods you lawfully purchased.

But this is not the forum to resolve that dispute.

It is the forum to get him placed in the HOS so he can't do it to anyone else though. If it isn't abundantly clear that he belongs there at this point, then really, what do you need to do in order to get on there?

He'll most likely be going into the H.O.S.

But most likely, he'll be banned from the boards before the vote is even completed.