• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

www.3pgrading.com

45 posts in this topic

I've never used them, but I've seen their website and I think they show promise. I really like the fact that they put grading notes on the label. That makes a lot of sense and is something I'd like CGC to adopt. It's far more important to me as a collector than simply making the numerical grade bigger.

anyone used this grading service?

or heard of mr garofalo?

its only for moderns

lets see now there is cgc, cgg and 3pg- hey they all rhyme

I've never used them, but I've seen their website and I think they show promise. I really like the fact that they put grading notes on the label. That makes a lot of sense and is something I'd like CGC to adopt. It's far more important to me as a collector than simply making the numerical grade bigger.

I already posted the same sentiment about wanting CGC graders notes included with each comic, and got lambasted by the board, 27_laughing.gif

Basically came down to the boards opinion that if they tell us how they grade then their Mthyos, and allure would be lost,along with our money.

I must say though, that you can call and talk with them(CGC) about any comic you have graded, ask them question, and chit chat about your comic, they will pull their notes and explain to you why your comic was sent back with its grade, or purple top, etc..

They are very nice, and pleasant to talk with.

Would be nice to know, if you can call and ask about any comic graded by CGC, as in you see a CGC on Ebay, and want more info, can we just call and supply the UPC # and get the grader notes? or do we have to be the submitee? to get acces?

I am sure this was already discussed at some point on the boards, and I am sorry to retread all this again.. .......no wait.

Im not sorry .. not sorry at all ....... there I said it.

Zeman

It would be better to have the graders' notes on the label, that way the 99% of people who don't realize that they can call to get the notes could just read the label to see why the book got the grade it did. I like how 3pgrading.com says that it lists all flaws from NM or better, and all of the most serious flaws from VF+ or below. If I'm looking at a VG 4.0 graded book that looks like a VG book, chances are that I'm not going to question it. But if I'm looking at a VF/NM 9.0 book that looks like a 9.4 or 9.6, it would be nice to know what it got marked down for. Also, on a NM/MT 9.8 book that has noticeable flaws on it (like the DD#200 that I posted in the grading and restoration section recently), I could easily tell whether the flaws on the book occurred after slabbing (from banging around in the mail or whatever) and would know that the flaws were not present when the book was graded.

The bottom line is that for CGC or any other grading company to maintain legitimacy and the trust of the collecting public, there needs to be transparency in the grading process. More information is to be preferred to less information. While calling to get graders' notes is a good option, not everyone will know that they can do that, and putting the notes on the label makes it that much easier for the collector. Since the grading notes are obviously typed into a database for future reference, it must be an easy matter to print the information on the label. Or, at the very least, put a notation on the label indicating that the buyer can call CGC for the grading notes specific to that book.

I already posted the same sentiment about wanting CGC graders notes included with each comic, and got lambasted by the board, 27_laughing.gif

Basically came down to the boards opinion that if they tell us how they grade then their Mthyos, and allure would be lost,along with our money.

I must say though, that you can call and talk with them(CGC) about any comic you have graded, ask them question, and chit chat about your comic, they will pull their notes and explain to you why your comic was sent back with its grade, or purple top, etc..

They are very nice, and pleasant to talk with.

Would be nice to know, if you can call and ask about any comic graded by CGC, as in you see a CGC on Ebay, and want more info, can we just call and supply the UPC # and get the grader notes? or do we have to be the submitee? to get acces?

I am sure this was already discussed at some point on the boards, and I am sorry to retread all this again.. .......no wait.

Im not sorry .. not sorry at all ....... there I said it.

Zeman

What thread was that in? Several of us have been clamoring for CGC to release the notes on a printed page, on the label, or on the Collector's Society lookup for well over a year. If the grader's notes were available on the CS web lookup, I would've joined as soon as they put that feature up.

What thread was that in? Several of us have been clamoring for CGC to release the notes on a printed page, on the label, or on the Collector's Society lookup for well over a year. If the grader's notes were available on the CS web lookup, I would've joined as soon as they put that feature up.

27_laughing.gif,well F.F. I went back to look at the thread, and not only were you there, in total aggreement, but the jist of the thread was in favor for the most part.

I think I just let Zanarkand get to me, 27_laughing.gif.

it was from my original post CGG includes notes, CGC does not?

So my lambasted comment was false.. I only rememberd the bad from the post, , not the good.

27_laughing.gif,well F.F. I went back to look at the thread, and not only were you there, in total aggreement, but the jist of the thread was in favor for the most part.

I think I just let Zanarkand get to me, 27_laughing.gif.

it was from my original post CGG includes notes, CGC does not?

Aw... sorry.gif

So my lambasted comment was false.. I only rememberd the bad from the post, , not the good.

The slabs are okay--flat panes in a frame. But I like that they're inexpensive, acid-free, and UV-protected. On the other hand, I dislike that they don't use a 10-point scale for grading.

I also do not like the 100 point scale for grading. What is the real different between 97 and 98 They should have gone with the 10 point scale like CGC and CGG.

I also do not like the 100 point scale for grading. What is the real different between 97 and 98 They should have gone with the 10 point scale like CGC and CGG.

The problem with the 100-point scale is that it far exceeds the tightness possible with the average high-end dealer/collector grading standards, and that includes the standards presented in the Overstreet Grading Guide. I would also argue that the 25-notch scale is too ambitious since even pro graders like CGC have a 1-notch margin of error on that scale. However, I'm willing to accept the possibility that the 3PG graders have developed a set of standards that is much, much tighter than everyone else's. So the question for us all to answer is...do they really grade as tightly as the grading scale they're using forces them to? I'm skeptical, but I have no evidence that they're not extremely accurate on the 100-point scale.

I've been considering doing some disciplined research on the comparative tightness and standards used by the grading services...I'm still rolling the details around in my mind. The main problem is that it would cost some money to submit a sampling of books which would get cracked out of slabs upon receipt. I don't really want to eat costs like that without external funding, and I doubt there's any source for that kind of funding.

I don't really want to eat costs like that without external funding, and I doubt there's any source for that kind of funding.

I'd be willing to donate a couple of bucks towards your research into this subject. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd be extremely interested in your findings.

This would cost a lot on money if it was silver age and 3pg does not graded silver. It would have to be modern books. How many books would you send in? Would 10 be good in all types of conditions? It would cost about $150 for CGC and $130 for CGG and $100 for 3PG total $380

The problem with the 100-point scale is that it far exceeds the tightness possible with the average high-end dealer/collector grading standards, and that includes the standards presented in the Overstreet Grading Guide. I would also argue that the 25-notch scale is too ambitious since even pro graders like CGC have a 1-notch margin of error on that scale.

As I've stated before, I completely disagree. The method was used for years. Even now when we look at a book many people say things like "high end 8.0" or "low end 8.0", or "solid 8.0" or VF/VF+. A more detailed grading system could better help zero in on the perceived grade. Just looking in the grading area, many people write things like "8.0-8.5" or "8.0 or possibly on a good day 8.5". By using split grades these tweener books could be better defined and zeroed in upon. While a disagreements will happen like 83 as opposed to 85 at least its a more detailed figure as opposed to a 20 point grading system.

Before the new Overstreet Grading Guide came out a little over a year ago, the official Overstreet grading system was a 100 point grading system for over 10 years. As long as you define how much of a deduction certain defects get (like -1 for a color fleck or a bend that is 1/32 or less), it is actually much easier to be precise about grading, ESPECIALLY when the defects are thoroughly catalogued on the graders' notes. I preferred the 100 point scale to the 10 point scale, but that's just me.

The problem with the 100-point scale is that it far exceeds the tightness possible with the average high-end dealer/collector grading standards, and that includes the standards presented in the Overstreet Grading Guide. I would also argue that the 25-notch scale is too ambitious since even pro graders like CGC have a 1-notch margin of error on that scale. However, I'm willing to accept the possibility that the 3PG graders have developed a set of standards that is much, much tighter than everyone else's. So the question for us all to answer is...do they really grade as tightly as the grading scale they're using forces them to? I'm skeptical, but I have no evidence that they're not extremely accurate on the 100-point scale.

I've been considering doing some disciplined research on the comparative tightness and standards used by the grading services...I'm still rolling the details around in my mind. The main problem is that it would cost some money to submit a sampling of books which would get cracked out of slabs upon receipt. I don't really want to eat costs like that without external funding, and I doubt there's any source for that kind of funding.

As I've stated before, I completely disagree. The method was used for years.

And tell me...how successfully was it used during the decade Overstreet promoted it? Ever seen the WIDE ranges of grades that the dealers assigned to books at the Sotheby's and Christie's auctions in the early 90s?

Even now when we look at a book many people say things like "high end 8.0" or "low end 8.0", or "solid 8.0" or VF/VF+. A more detailed grading system could better help zero in on the perceived grade. Just looking in the grading area, many people write things like "8.0-8.5" or "8.0 or possibly on a good day 8.5". By using split grades these tweener books could be better defined and zeroed in upon. While a disagreements will happen like 83 as opposed to 85 at least its a more detailed figure as opposed to a 20 point grading system.

The day somebody writes up a set of grading standards, distributes those standards to 100 of the best graders on the planet and gives them a year to study them, brings those graders together in one room to grade 100 books, and the margin of error of those 100 graders on those 100 books is less than one point...THAT'S the day I'll agree with you. I'd settle for the 100 best graders grading on the 25-notch scale with less than a 1-notch margin of error given the current Overstreet Grading Guide standards, which I'll bet you some substantial cash will never happen.

The written guidelines need to come before an overly-ambitious 100-point scale, not the other way around.

Before the new Overstreet Grading Guide came out a little over a year ago, the official Overstreet grading system was a 100 point grading system for over 10 years.

Overstreet didn't ditch the 100-point scale with the 2002 grading guide, he ditched it starting with the 2000 price guide...it was more like 8 years. I think he actually announced he was going to do it in the 1999 guide, shortly before CGC started.

As long as you define how much of a deduction certain defects get (like -1 for a color fleck or a bend that is 1/32 or less), it is actually much easier to be precise about grading

You're exactly right. Could you do that for everyone in the hobby, please, BEFORE trying to bring back an overly-ambitious grading scale? To date, nobody has written the precise standards you're pining for.

I'd be willing to donate a couple of bucks towards your research into this subject. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd be extremely interested in your findings.

I would too, and I'm keeping it in mind, but it'd probably be more interesting and useful once CGC has a serious competitor, i.e. one that is taking away market share. CGG is still ramping up since they just got a decent holder and started grading restored and GA books, and 3PG is too limited due to their grading of Moderns only.