• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

www.3pgrading.com

45 posts in this topic

Until anyone steps up that can take marketshare and can provide more/better services than CGC, there's only one company as far as I'm concerned. 3pgrading.com provide more niche services, cgg is closer to cgc as far as competition, if you can call it that.

What's the problem with 3pgrading? Nobody knows them-so you don't have the market confidence yet. At least they were being realistic by only grading moderns--maybe that's just their area of expertise (or lack thereof).

What's the problem with cgg? Disclosure of the graders is a big deal, restoration was added as a service only recently, and the general confusion it created. No thanks, I'll stay with the real deal.

The upside to both of these companies: turnaround times and cost. They'll get the customers who aren't brand loyal and just want a decent service at a good price. For the more serious collectors however, I don't think anything less than CGC will do.

Oh, you asked if I knew anything. Nope, outside of looking at their website. If I have any worthless books that I want to make less marketable come selling time, I'll give them a try. 27_laughing.gif

It's CGC all the way for me. These cheap imitations have a long way to go to catch up to CGC.

They are not even starting out of the gate right as being close to being imitations!They have a long way to go to being imitations!

CGC THE BEST! = COMICS GUARANTY CORPORATION

cgg = comics going gone

3pg = 3 points given

Davidking623

Go to the Packing /shipping link on the 3dgrading.com website at the top of their page.

Makes me cringe, when they tell us to "tape all sides" of a stack of 4-5 comics.

THERE IS NO CARDBOARD!!!

Would you want someone to try and remove 4 pieces of tape from your bag/board combos?

But I must admit, they offer a good amount of sercive for the price.

I also feel if CGC indeed wants to remain the "State of the Art" premier grading company out there, then a free scan should be included with each submission with no extra chage.

And continue to lead the way in cutting edge grading/slabbing, and overall product apeal.

It would be extra top shelf of themif they posted a scan of each comic in the census listing,

And lastly, it seems a shame that all the work CGC did to pioneer graded/slabbed comics they cannot protect their idea or investment( is it not a copyright/patent,or just their "slab/holder?) from any Joe Schmo starting a Grading co.

, and it seems we will see more and more "pop up" grading companies start to give CGC compitition, time will tell if they remain or if the King of grading that CGC is will crush them underfoot.

But like all other business's, compitition is a good thing, it makes the product better , and more affordable to consumers, who now at least have a choice.

I personally like CGC best, even though the others are cheaper, untill they can prove they are not only trustworthy, and generate top dollar for their graded comics, I think CGC will remain top dog.

Whoof Whoof

anyone used this grading service?

or heard of mr garofalo?

its only for moderns

lets see now there is cgc, cgg and 3pg- hey they all rhyme

I own three 3PG books, and I really like them. The holders are super solid and impossible to break, the books are accurately graded, and graders notes are included on the label. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

anyone used this grading service?

or heard of mr garofalo?

its only for moderns

lets see now there is cgc, cgg and 3pg- hey they all rhyme

I own three 3PG books, and I really like them. The holders are super solid and impossible to break, the books are accurately graded, and graders notes are included on the label. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

sounds very good - since they only do moderns this question doesn't apply to them - does CGG use a different color label when resto is detected?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i own about 5 3pgs 2 98s and 3 99s and like bonds i like their slabs and the graders notes. they are very tough on grading also.i still like cgc better and will continue to buy and send my comics to cgc,but if i can get some 3pgs for under $9 bucks on ebay that i like i will grab them up too. tongue.gif

It would be extra top shelf of themif they posted a scan of each comic in the census listing,

Agree wholeheartedly. There are many beneficial aspects to doing this, and only one negative: incremental additional cost. I can understand CGC not wanting to increase its fees to accommodate a scanning step in the grading of each book, but when you're talking about doing this for thousands of books per month, the economies of scale would make this a very modest additional cost on a per-book basis.

And lastly, it seems a shame that all the work CGC did to pioneer graded/slabbed comics they cannot protect their idea or investment( is it not a copyright/patent,or just their "slab/holder?) from any Joe Schmo starting a Grading co.

Well, some things can be protected, via copyright, trademark, patent(s), etc., and some things can't. What kind of world would we be living in if Ford were the only company 'allowed' to manufacture cars? I suspect that CGC has as many forms of IP protection in place as it possibly can, but in a way, they've simply adopted a concept that's been around in sports cards and coins for a long time. While the CGC concept is not at all original, it just happens to be the best in its particular niche at this time.

I have a few 3PG books. I think their grading is good, however, the holder is a bit cheesy for my taste.

The books are sealed in a flexible melinex sleeve which is fine. But the sleeve is sandwiched between 2 sheets of clear acrylic, and the edges are bound by what appears to be clear plastic "report cover" edges which are cut to size and glued at the corner points. It really looks like a home-made job.

they used a new dupont product which has supposedly replaced mylar@ the us library of congress according to their site info

Dupont stopped making Mylar years ago...Cole and Gerber's bags are now made of Melinex. As far as we should be concerned, the LoC says they're pretty much the same.

I must admit that new Dupont holder looks awfully snazzy.Is it as clear as it looks?

Anyone know how much more crack, chip resistant is it the the current CGC slab?

I think that the holder might have been patentable, although there are many issues (the possible existence of "prior art" and also the "on-sale bar" at this point) that might have been barriers to patenting the holder when it was developed or that might act as barriers to patenting it now. Aside from that, however, there's also the issue of trade dress, which is a form of trademark protection. Unlike a typical "trademark," which is a logo, "trade dress" involves the look and feel of a product's actual design or the design the the packaging, which is done in a distinctive way and is used in the marketplace such that consumers tend to associate products that bear the trade dress with a particular source. Even if the holder is not patentable, there is the possibility of getting trade dress protection for the "non-functional" elements of the design of the holder, as well as the "CGC" name. Without getting too far into the issue, much of the holder's design would probably be deemed "functional," although the label design and certain specifics of the placement of information on the label (and possibly even arbitrary, non-functional design choices in the holder itself) might be protectable under trade dress law. 893blahblah.gif

Agree wholeheartedly. There are many beneficial aspects to doing this, and only one negative: incremental additional cost. I can understand CGC not wanting to increase its fees to accommodate a scanning step in the grading of each book, but when you're talking about doing this for thousands of books per month, the economies of scale would make this a very modest additional cost on a per-book basis.

Well, some things can be protected, via copyright, trademark, patent(s), etc., and some things can't. What kind of world would we be living in if Ford were the only company 'allowed' to manufacture cars? I suspect that CGC has as many forms of IP protection in place as it possibly can, but in a way, they've simply adopted a concept that's been around in sports cards and coins for a long time. While the CGC concept is not at all original, it just happens to be the best in its particular niche at this time.