• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Treasure Hunters Roadshow -- THIEVES !!!

137 posts in this topic

They're coming from June 1st-5th in my area. They pulled a full page advertorial (half-page seeming to look like it has some editorial value) in the local paper. In one of the ads they say "we buy 10¢ and 12¢ comic books" - the books they show are SGT Fury 13, Action Comics 1 and a modern Superman comic (can't make out the issue).

What paper was it in?

"Advertorial"

:roflmao:

Interesting. I just noticed that at the top corner of the page after you posted the comment. I assumed that much from the layout, and I guess I can pretty much spot these from a mile away.

Come to think of it, some credit to the paper for openly disclosing it, as they've been rolling through many of the provinces papers as of late with no mention.

"Advertorial"

Interesting. I just noticed that at the top corner of the page after you posted the comment. I assumed that much from the layout, and I guess I can pretty much spot these from a mile away.

Come to think of it, some credit to the paper for openly disclosing it, as they've been rolling through many of the provinces papers as of late with no mention.

I know newspapers are having trouble staying afloat these days, but the editor that let them print that scummy "looks like a real article" advertisement and label it an "advertorial" needs to have his head examined. :screwy:

"Advertorial"

I know newspapers are having trouble staying afloat these days, but the editor that let them print that scummy "looks like a real article" advertisement and label it an "advertorial" needs to have his head examined. :screwy:

Given who we are talking about and their intentions, I see where you're coming from. However, as far as advertorials are concerned, I felt the same way you did until I saw comix4fun post the comment, and noticed it at the top of the page.

I can't tell you how many advertorials I run across on a daily basis. The fact that they run without any disclaimer or disclosure is uncool, and there is far more widespread acceptance as it being the rule rather than the exception. This said, there are some papers who will outright reject anything that resembles one, and yet many find themselves caving to the pressure of publishing one when it comes in the form of a door knocking from a company that brings them significant ad revenue.

Anyhow, what I'm saying is that it goes on quite a bit without disclosure, so when it is disclosed, I have a little more respect for the practice than I normally would.

From Wikipedia:

An advertorial is an advertisement written in the form of an objective article, and presented in a printed publication—usually designed to look like a legitimate and independent news story. The term "advertorial" is a portmanteau of "advertisement" and "editorial." Merriam-Webster dates the origin of the word to 1946.[1]

Advertorials differ from traditional advertisements in that they are designed to look like the articles that appear in the publication. Most publications will not accept advertisements that look exactly like stories from the newspaper or magazine they are appearing in. The differences may be subtle, and disclaimers—such as the word "advertisement"—may or may not appear. Sometimes euphemisms describing the advertorial as a "special promotional feature" or "special advertising section" are used. The tone of the advertorials is usually closer to that of a press release than of an objective news story.

The modern Superman in question is Superman #53, the second part of "Clark reveals he's Supes" continued from Action #662.

I love the byline of the "staff writer." Makes it look like an actual journalistic piece...but doesn't make any effort to disguise that he's got the same last name as one of the subjects of his "article."

"Fair and honest", too...

lol

The modern Superman in question is Superman #53, the second part of "Clark reveals he's Supes" continued from Action #662.

I love the byline of the "staff writer." Makes it look like anactual journalistic piece...but doesn't make any effort to disguise that he's got the same last name as one of the subjects of his "article."

"Fair and honest", too...

lol

Good catch - definitely covering his own at every level

Seems to me that the thing to do with these mooks is set up outside in the parking lot with a sign telling folks that after you get their insulting low offer come to you and get a fair deal. Couple grand in cash might get you some mighty nice comics at a fair wholesale price.

Seems to me that the thing to do with these mooks is set up outside in the parking lot with a sign telling folks that after you get their insulting low offer come to you and get a fair deal. Couple grand in cash might get you some mighty nice comics at a fair wholesale price.

This thought has run across my mind hm

"A guest listens in as Mike Delong estimates and tells about the values of his coin collection."

A guest? These guys are a Dateline undercover investigation waiting to happen. doh!

I wonder how the lawsuit against them filed by the genuine Antiques roadshow went...

"Advertorial"

Given who we are talking about and their intentions, I see where you're coming from. However, as far as advertorials are concerned, I felt the same way you did until I saw comix4fun post the comment, and noticed it at the top of the page.

I can't tell you how many advertorials I run across on a daily basis. The fact that they run without any disclaimer or disclosure is uncool, and there is far more widespread acceptance as it being the rule rather than the exception. This said, there are some papers who will outright reject anything that resembles one, and yet many find themselves caving to the pressure of publishing one when it comes in the form of a door knocking from a company that brings them significant ad revenue.

Anyhow, what I'm saying is that it goes on quite a bit without disclosure, so when it is disclosed, I have a little more respect for the practice than I normally would.

From Wikipedia:

An advertorial is an advertisement written in the form of an objective article, and presented in a printed publication—usually designed to look like a legitimate and independent news story. The term "advertorial" is a portmanteau of "advertisement" and "editorial." Merriam-Webster dates the origin of the word to 1946.[1]

Advertorials differ from traditional advertisements in that they are designed to look like the articles that appear in the publication. Most publications will not accept advertisements that look exactly like stories from the newspaper or magazine they are appearing in. The differences may be subtle, and disclaimers—such as the word "advertisement"—may or may not appear. Sometimes euphemisms describing the advertorial as a "special promotional feature" or "special advertising section" are used. The tone of the advertorials is usually closer to that of a press release than of an objective news story.

I'm an advertising manager for a large newspaper and we require that for advertorial display ads like this, the word ADVERTISEMENT must appear at the top of the ad at least one time for every 2 columns of width the ad occupies (so for a full page it would have to appear 3 times since newspapers are 6 columns wide). This is of course to let readers know that the ad is NOT in any way affiliated with the editorial staff of the newspaper. Simply printing the word "Advertorial" in the corner is sneaky to say the least, especially since 95% of people have no idea what that means and will still assume the newspaper wrote the piece. (tsk)

there's one of these coming to my town....same fake article display ad and all. There's even a clip art saying they are buying 10 and 12 cent comic books with a picture of action comics 1, sgt fury 13, and some 1990s superman book

there's one of these coming to my town....same fake article display ad and all. There's even a clip art saying they are buying 10 and 12 cent comic books with a picture of action comics 1, sgt fury 13, and some 1990s superman book

Those guys with that same ad were in my town 3 weeks ago. They actually used the same ad from 2009 and had the paper run it again this year.

i really don't want them getting any good books. i'm almost inclined to go to scope out others in case they bring in some and i'd offer to pay lot more seeing as what the fist posters said they were offering.