• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sales Forum more like the Bermuda Triange

186 posts in this topic

List books that people want :sumo:

I figure Scrooge is right. I "patrol" the Sales Forum looking for books for my collection but seldom find what I need as my focus is reasonably narrow. Then sometimes I see a good number of interesting books at the same time.

So I figure selling is hit and miss like this. If the right buyer is not looking at the thread at the right time, then no sale.

There's no wisdom in what I wrote above, but I would like to emphasize that I greatly appreciate sellers who do list on the boards first. (thumbs u

In all seriousness, a real problem is that there just aren't that many people trolling the boards for things to buy at any given time. I daresay there are 1,000 times more people looking for stuff on eBay at any given moment than on the CGC boards. Nature of the 'net.

I check the sales thread out a few times each week and maybe buy something every two or three months.

Sometimes prices are high but more often than not I just do not see anything that I am looking for. Most of what is listed on the sales boards is relatively common.

Generally I have found most sellers very easy to deal with.

As for selling I've only ever posted one book and sold it for over $2,500 within 48 hours of posting it it. The buyer got a decent price but I think the price for the book was fair for me as well.

In all seriousness, a real problem is that there just aren't that many people trolling the boards for things to buy at any given time. I daresay there are 1,000 times more people looking for stuff on eBay at any given moment than on the CGC boards. Nature of the 'net.

That is definitely true, but on the flip side, I tend to buy random comics that strike my fancy from sales threads here, which are only tangentially related to my main focus. I never do that on ebay.

I'm happy with my sales on the boards. But you get to the point where you know who wants what, and a lot of deals are struck via PM. There's a lot more buying and selling going on here than what you see in the marketplace.

I'm happy with my sales on the boards. But you get to the point where you know who wants what, and a lot of deals are struck via PM. There's a lot more buying and selling going on here than what you see in the marketplace.

True that! :devil:

Seems like it takes the special secret handshake to get anything sold in the Sales Forum. I really can't get a handle on it on the several attempts I've tried to sell some CGC books for reasonable prices seems like there is little or no action. :taptaptap:

Help me out with some suggestions. I try to stay away from raw books and sell my CGC books. Is that the right way to do it?

(shrug)

WEBHEAD Class of '03

I used to take it personally when I would start a sales thread and little to nothing sold. I just had a thread where I offered all slabs and nothing...NOTHING...sold. But it doesn't really bother me anymore. I just move the books to eBay and most of the time they do sell (eventually) on there.

Here are some of the reasons books don't sell in here:

1) Everybody in here is looking for a great deal. Not just good deals, but GREAT deals.

2) Many people are just browsers and can't really afford to buy the books.

3) Some of us are unemployed.

4) People in here normally won't even pay GPA for a slab. They want to pay BELOW GPA almost all the time.

5) Many times, most of the people in here already have the book offered at the same or higher grade.

6) Most buyers in here are just plain tightarses. :baiting:

7) Unless you plan on practically giving them away, don't bother selling raw books in here unless your board name is Foolkiller or cd4ever or they're key issues or rare Golden Age stuff.

There hasn't been that many interesting books in the sales area recently. Also, I see lots of very overpriced crud in there and I'm assuming once someone sees that nonsense they don't even bother looking through other sales threads to find the good stuff.

Blue has some nice books up right now.

:D The sales forums have been great to me in my last three sales. Hot books sold high-cool books had to be discounted to move and PM's with great boardies were the order of the day. I sell exclusively on the boards right now and have no complaints! (thumbs u

:banana: Chris

Thanks to everyone that posted, it's helped me a lot. There are a couple of books that I've sold here on the forum and some that I've bought. Those books were special to me and were priced right.

I'll keep trying but as someone mentioned you move it to Ebay and it will eventually sell. I tried to sell a CGC 4.0 ASM #9 spectacular copy from an original owner I purchased from Cave Comics in Newtown CT. It died on the vine here but I found a happy buyer there.

My only question is here you can get 600+ views and maybe a couple of comments. On Ebay if you get 40 hits you might get that one watcher who will buy.

Last question from the standpoint of closing the sale on Ebay would you provide information/website to a sniper service to your customers so they would not lose out on a real deal?

hm

WEBHEAD

My only question is here you can get 600+ views and maybe a couple of comments. On Ebay if you get 40 hits you might get that one watcher who will buy.

I assume you mean 40 people watching the sale. That doesn't indicate how many took a peek but didn't add to their watched list.

Seems like it takes the special secret handshake to get anything sold in the Sales Forum. I really can't get a handle on it on the several attempts I've tried to sell some CGC books for reasonable prices seems like there is little or no action. :taptaptap:

Help me out with some suggestions. I try to stay away from raw books and sell my CGC books. Is that the right way to do it?

(shrug)

WEBHEAD Class of '03

Just some bad days for all sorts of collectables. The coinees are having the same trouble.

As long as the economy is on the rocks, it will be hard to sell anything. :sorry:

Do they pay CGC'd 9.8 prices minus the cost to slab...? lol

I would punch you right now if i could. Probably just in the arm, but really frickin' hard.

Go for it. I got yer back!