• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sales Forum more like the Bermuda Triange

186 posts in this topic

I would say that with some small changes to the format of the posts in the sales forum sellers might see an increase. Things like listing the titles you are selling in the title and then on the first post just list the books you are selling with prices and no scans. You can start adding the scans of the books. But some of the sales threads would be 5-6 pages in and still listing books and you have to scroll through all the comments about the books and everything else just to see what someone is selling so they can fund some other purchase...

:applause: This is so true. It's a real pain in the azz - and generally a waste of ones time - to have to scroll through 18-20 pages of a thread in which 10 or so books are listed, usually failing to find one that you may actually want. I believe that listing all books in the first post with scans to follow should be an "unwritten rule" in the sales threads. Some of the more savvy sellers have already instituted this policy and it has benefited their sales, particularly when they agree to a "pending scan" caveat, which I believe to be an imperative formula in such a situation.

For those sellers who don't launch their threads with a pre-selected set of books in mind, or who try to entertain specific requests, and/or simply prefer to post as they go, a beneficial custom would be to periodically update the titles which are still available toward the latter end of the thread, as many already do. These small gestures would allow extra time for potential buyers to find what they're looking for, along with giving multiple sellers an equal amount of exposure and more than enough of those little :takeit: postings .

Now...enough of my rantrant and on to my speculation as to why the cobwebs are forming in the Sales Forum... in no particular order.

1. Quite a few boardies are having money issues (or their wife found their collection) :whatev:

2. There seems to be an auction running every other week (some with very familiar books)

3. A convention is coming soon to a "theater" near you (and good luck getting a deal there)

4. The weather is changing and people are not constantly at a computer (especially the unemployed)

5. There has been a fair amount of , overpricing and reruns being posted (yes, I said it, so shoot me)

6. A few recent events which have transpired here - without any real closure - have given pause to some buyers (maybe eBay doesn't seem as shady lately)

With all due respect, the last two reasons were not aimed at the majority of sellers on these boards, but at a small fraction of either the uninformed, disillusioned, or (sadly) deceitful people that you could encounter anywhere, not restricted to the CGC Message Board. These are my own opinions and I'm sticking to them. Have a wonderful summer and please don't do anything Roy wouldn't do. :grin:

BTW - Regarding the music content of this Bermuda Triangle discussion, I can feel the Chili Peppers, but my ear for music may have been tainted for life after I saw Zeppelin on their very first American tour at the old Philadelphia Spectrum. :cloud9: Shows what an old :censored: I am.

The sales forum is alive and well. (thumbs u

Had a great sales in my thread this weekend in the mixed age selling forum! :grin:

Just an FYI

Steve you are the man....selling books sucessfully is like listening to Laurence Olivier reading from the phone book.

You are trusted and loved by the board.

WEBHEAD

Well...

Having expressed my personal concerns here, I've had a few PMs containing compelling arguments to give the Marketplace another go. I do have a bit more time than I did, so I reckon I can give it the attention it needs.

Might be time to pull out the boxes again. hm

Well...

Having expressed my personal concerns here, I've had a few PMs containing compelling arguments to give the Marketplace another go. I do have a bit more time than I did, so I reckon I can give it the attention it needs.

:wishluck:

Well...

:wishluck:

:sick:

Well...

what else is there to do in England??

I'd rather sell on the boards than anywhere else. While there may be better venues for some kinds of books, for most stuff it works pretty well, as long as you're pricing stuff for collector to collector sales, and not looking to get top dealer prices for everything.

And considering it costs absolutely nothing to reach hundreds of collectors - I don't know what people are whining about.

I'd rather sell on the boards than anywhere else. While there may be better venues for some kinds of books, for most stuff it works pretty well, as long as you're pricing stuff for collector to collector sales, and not looking to get top dealer prices for everything.

And considering it costs absolutely nothing to reach hundreds of collectors - I don't know what people are whining about.

Plus, if you have pretty good stuff, especially slabbed, SA superhero stuff, you can unload it in one fell swoop on the boards to any of a number of dealers who will gladly give you 40%-60% of what you can sell them for elsewhere. But they have funds and pay fast. :insane:

Well...

Or, you could just try some well placed pms....., :think:

I think the Forum Sales forum sucks.

You guys should all just stay out, because it is so bad. I'll stay there, just taking one for the team. Don't worry about me. I'll be OK.

I think the Forum Sales forum sucks.

You guys should all just stay out, because it is so bad. I'll stay there, just taking one for the team. Don't worry about me. I'll be OK.

lol

comicsarefun has a really nice sale going on right now. Plenty of action in that thread. You have to sell things that people want to buy at prices they want to pay. I think it's that simple.