• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ayn, Neal and the world around me...

887 posts in this topic

How about this for obscure? 23 pages of Neal Admams from the late 60's. Simple and fluid lines make this a treasure I found on E-Bay. THere are actually two books in this series he did.

MARK STEEL (AMERICAN IRON and STEEL)

1967,1968 (23 pages) "Journey To Discovery with Mark Steel" Adams cover and

art

1972 (23 pages) "Mark Steel Fights Pollution" Adams cover and art

70e6c249.jpg

4ebfedce.jpg

I just got back a nice run of Peanuts books from CGC. I will update and display the run in a future post, but I have to show these two for obvious reasons.

I am not sure of course, but years ago I built a huge run of Peanuts, Tip Top, Nancy and Tip Topper books with Peanuts on the cover and inside. I bought all I could find. Later I had the ones with Peanuts covers CGC'd and sold off the books with just Peanuts on the inside. Many of the Nancy books were file copies to boot. I can't say but I had to have a pretty nice collection in comparison. Many of my books were the only CGC'd copy, most were highest grade when there was another book. And for a very long time, mine was the highest FC 878 on the block. I sold all but a very few and moved on to other things.

Time goes by and all of the sudden you find yourself drawn back and here we are again. I rebuilt the collection to a large degree. This time I only worried about books with Peanuts on the cover since CGC only makes sense to me for covers. I have pretty good registry sets of Peanuts and Tip Top covers that are fabulous. How can you not smile at Snoopy?

These two just came back from CGC and they are spectacular. I know the Peanuts 1 is only a 4.0, but if you have ever tried to chase this issue you know how rare it really is. Along with the early Tip Tops with Peanuts on the covers; these books are impossible to find in grade. On a crazy side not, this 4.0 only garners 15 points on the census, yet I would have paid hundreds for it. Oh well.

I hope you can enjoy them as well.

c7c0e6d0.jpg

6558441e.jpg

"Boys are cool and girls just drool." 8 year old wisdom.

not related to the quote......

We are getting ready for a yard sale soon and as always, time to roll out some comics that have not seen the light of day for awhile. I figure someone will buy the Spidermans I left and maybe some Supermans, junk from the 90's. I don't know why but I bought all the Superman titles, some in duplicates. It was fun going through them again, some really very cool Guice covers and some Jansons as well. Always fun to do and remember and then you find yourself attached to some and starting to set one or two aside here and there.

I found I had no problem bagging the Spidermans, some McFarlanes, the new series that he started, the Unlimited, Venom mini series, just stuff sitting in the closet. People will say hey, sell them on the boards but that is harder than it seems. Ever calculate the time to scan, crop, re-size, save upload, post, grade etc.....It is tough to do at a few dollars a book.

But the Supermans were hard, I have a soft spot for him and have always really been a DC zombie at heart. Then I started to run into the Reign of Superman and the Funeral for a Friend run surrounding his death / re-birth. I know they are not worth anything but I can't get rid of them. Someday maybe the kids and I can sit down and read all 40 (?) books in the run. That would be cool. I never heard anyone claiming greatness for the run but there must be something there.

I start to look at other parts of the collection, Tec's and Batmans form the mid 90's; over printed runs of Kelly covers. I have had some CGC'd but it is juts hard to sell them unless the person is very committed. Even sold some on the boards, only 9.8's of course.

When will I have to sell? When will I want to sell? I have long runs of the Sandman, Starman, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Cerebus and lots of others. But how long will I keep them? What will happen to change the need to hold on to them? This collecting habit is a funny one. Sometimes it is just the idea of collecting that is the real rush of it all.

How long does one keep their collection?

Summer of 1787 by David O Stewart

I have been reading this book and it is fantastic, for someone that wants to learn more about our history and its beginnings. It is about the call to the Philidelphia Convention to produce what would become our Constitution.

Twelve states elected 74 delegates to the convention. Interestingly only 55 made it to the Convention and only thirty atteneded the full four months of deliberations. Those that did not attend; Jefferson and John Adams (away serving as minsters to France and Britian). As well as States Rights advocates Samuel Adams and Patrick Hernry who felt the convention would lead to no good; their absence helped to strengthen a central government consensus.

Interestingly, George Washington served as the chairman or overseer of the proceedings.

I have aften wondered just what these men were thinking, did they realize what was to come and their place within the folds of history? Did they understand the gravity of the document and the ideals they would bring to the world? Someone did indeed think about it. So far I have been most surprised by George Mason. He knew what they were up against and he understood the importance of its legacy.

[T]he influence which the [government] now proposed may have upon the happiness or misery of millions yet unborn, is an object of such magnitude, as absorbs, and in a manner suspends the operations of the human understanding.

---- George Mason in a letter to his son during the Summer of 1787

George Mason IV (December 11, 1725 – October 7, 1792) was an American Patriot, statesman, and a delegate from Virginia to the U.S. Constitutional Convention. Along with James Madison, he is called the "Father of the Bill of Rights." For these reasons he is considered one of the "Founding Fathers" of the United States.

He also had very strong feelings against slavery and the deplorable actions and life styles that are entwinded within it. The hypocrisy and the evil in professing Liberty while keeping it in bondage beneath the foot of the master.

Every gentleman here is born a petty tyrant. Practiced in acts of despotism & cruelty, we become callous to the dictates of humanity....Taught to regard a part of our own species in the most abject and contemptible degree below us, we lose that idea of the dignity of man which the hand of nature had implanted in us...Habituated from our infancy to trample upon the rights of human nature, every generous, every liberal sentiment....is enfeebled in our minds.

The book also goes to detail that the delegates agreed to a covenant that kept them from writing down the day to day details of the convention. They wanted nothing to be written or reported till it was done. Nothing should infringe upon or deviate from the writing of this source code for our country. Some of the most important 4 months in the history of America and certainlly in the fostering of freedom and democracy are not detailed. There is not much to draw from, a great treasure was lost in this agreement of secrecy.

They met from 10 AM - 3 PM, 6 days a week and took off on Sunday. They ate together, roomed together in the local hotels, dined and drank together during this time. Some even suggested that they spent too much time together.

I am at the part where the jockeying for political allies is occuring to get a quorum to pass a resolution. The sticking point is Congress and Representatives. How should they be chosen? Bigger states should have more say, more votes. The smaller states wanted equal representation. The South wanted to maintain slavery. All this lead to polling political allies to gain votes and garner favor. Amazingly, slavery played a role in how we are represented in the Federal Government.

It was such a great time in history mirrored by the putrid disease within our land of people, a race, in bondage.

On April 15, Atlas Shrugged: Part I will be released in theaters in select cities around the country.

Based on Ayn Rand's epic 1957 novel, the new movie plots the collapse of American society after men of the mind (thinkers, industrialists, scientists, artists and other innovators) go on strike and vanish, refusing to contribute to a collectivist world.

398f502c.jpg

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

looks kind of like an ad for the Us Open

I keep meaning to read it, your thread inspires me to get round to it, will it/can it translate to a movie or be one of those where we say 'the book was better'?

Will it be in Tampa for one of the early showings, Dover?

Log into the website, go to theatre tab and click the demand in your area button!!

I did not see Tampa listed. I am prepared to go anywhere!

The continuation of legislative support for the dependency of a person or group at the expense of another individual or group is ultimately the most wretched and deplorable act to each mentioned party. Liberty is removed and liberty is granted but no exchange has been made on the basis of anything other than a moral will and force of law. There is simply no basis of support or decree to balance and level that which is taken to that which is granted, supposedly in the form of charity. One is given false hope and devalued property so that some form of sustainability can be perpetuated in the form of further growth of dependence while the other is stricken from attaining the level that they are capable of solely on the basis of they have achieved too much and must therefore be punished. We can wrap it in a wax paper flag to keep the stench of rotting carcass from fouling our nostrils but the smell of decaying life and liberty can’t be hidden. People must be brought up on their own devices and ability, left to foster at their pace and strength. Motivate, educate and perpetuate all means necessary to help and aid but never seek to grant dependence when independence is that which is most soothing and rewarding to the soul. Seek legislative process that makes it easy for all to move forward should they choose, but not to reward or seek to pass judgment on those that do not. Do not elicit responses of false nature claiming to better society by tearing it down and raping the labor of a man so that another can seek to settle; rather pave ways for people to reward themselves as they achieve their sought station I life.

As I have scribed before if I am right we shall all be free to seek Life, Liberty and our Happiness. If I am wrong we shall all live in the communal squalor of poverty and filth. Seeking that which we need form each other based on nothing but needs and demands; taking by force that which we believe is our god given right for being born.

Who has this book? I owned this book, bought it raw some time ago and had it for a long time. I then had it graded and slabbed and sold it! .... :o ..... I sold it on Pedigree Comics website. This was before I got the ug to get back into collecting, before I got the Adams addiction I have now.

I would like to get this back into my home, safe and sound.

4abe8174.jpg

:takeit: back...

Hank. Creates something never before done; invents a new alloy that no one else could. Presents a gift of it to his wife; a gift that he himself made and no one else could, a gift of his genious. And those that cast stones on his selfishness ask instead for diamonds.

When cloaked in the guise of self righteousness, it is easy to demand tribute and cast aspersions on those that pay with the wrong tithe.

:popcorn: