• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Finally Made It!! (Image Heavy)

69 posts in this topic

Great work. Nothing better than putting in sweat equity on something you can call your own.

Just wondering - when you removed the plaster from the wall, and saw the brick, why didn't you keep it brick instead of covering over it with drywall/plaster? The brick looked to be in great shape, and while it all comes down to preference, some people actually buy special tiling that is made to look like brick to get the rustic look you had naturally happening when you removed the plaster.

All in all, the place looks fantastic - great work! (thumbs u

That's a very interesting question which somebody else actually mentioned when the wall was stripped. The problem with brick is draught basically. Even though I Unibonded the wall before the plasterboard was dabbed on, you could still feel a huge draught coming through. We can still feel it now at the bottom of the wall where the skirting board needs fitting.

Admittedly the brickwork was actually in great shape, but it's not to my taste. I like nice flat walls with clean, crisp corners.

Great work. Nothing better than putting in sweat equity on something you can call your own.

Just wondering - when you removed the plaster from the wall, and saw the brick, why didn't you keep it brick instead of covering over it with drywall/plaster? The brick looked to be in great shape, and while it all comes down to preference, some people actually buy special tiling that is made to look like brick to get the rustic look you had naturally happening when you removed the plaster.

All in all, the place looks fantastic - great work! (thumbs u

That's a very interesting question which somebody else actually mentioned when the wall was stripped. The problem with brick is draught basically. Even though I Unibonded the wall before the plasterboard was dabbed on, you could still feel a huge draught coming through. We can still feel it now at the bottom of the wall where the skirting board needs fitting.

Admittedly the brickwork was actually in great shape, but it's not to my taste. I like nice flat walls with clean, crisp corners.

Yeah, it looks so clean and smart plastered and painted. What a great before and after jobber!

We've got some of the original brick showing at our place in the city - one wall in the kitchen revealed between the counter and cabinets, and the other in the (finished) basement - it's the first thing people notice and compliment.

Awesome Man!! Congrats!

I am a plaster and Drywall contractor so I am aware the extent of the work that has been done. An from what I can see from the pictures it looks like a job well done!!!

99.9% I reckon

"I reckon"?????

You claim to be British, yet you "reckon"? WTF!!!!

Poseur... :baiting:

We're keen on playing the banjo and chewing on hayseeds in Britain, too. It's the done thing, don't you know.

I look forward to the day when we finally get to drink some moonshine together, Andy.

Gav, long winded editorial forthcoming.

Stick to your guns, eat healthy, live long and prosper.

;)

Gav, congrats on gettng it done. You've got a lot to be proud of. :applause:

After spending a year rebuilding my house not long ago, I know how much work and sacrifice this job must have taken. I hope you have a chance to relax and enjoy it soon.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. There's still a he'll of a lot of work to do with the bathroom being next. That room is so bad you feel dirty in it even when you're taking a bath! I'll get before and after shots again for posterity's sake. The new front door is on order and then it's onto the gardens.

But man it's good to be back on the boards :whee:

99.9% I reckon

"I reckon"?????

You claim to be British, yet you "reckon"? WTF!!!!

Poseur... :baiting:

We're keen on playing the banjo and chewing on hayseeds in Britain, too. It's the done thing, don't you know.

I look forward to the day when we finally get to drink some moonshine together, Andy.

I'd be keen on some of that moonshine, I reckon. :headbang:

...the bathroom being next. That room is so bad you feel dirty in it even when you're taking a bath! I'll get before and after shots again for posterity's sake.

As long as we don't get any during shot's I will be happy :eek: