• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Print or no ?.

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys I'm thinking of getting this one graded but then I noticed the bar code says "04"

IMG_4803.jpg

So I'm wondering if this is a 4th print or first print or what ?... I know they did things differently back then

IMG_4804.jpg

Now I'm all messed up :Shm Figured I'd go to the experts

That number on a newsstand copy stands for the month that is the cover date of the book.

Here are some more examples:

!BnrK+Kg!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-DoEts!!82Z8BLkcyoMs8Q~~_3.JPG

06f7_3.JPG

Now, when there were more than 12 issues printed in a standard year, Marvel/DC generally noted either the number that had been published that year, a la Spidey #310:

!Bqn5l6Q!2k~$(KGrHqUH-D0EuZJczEW3BLwP,Ivuqw~~_3.JPG

So, even though the cover date is December, because it was bi-monthly that year, #310 was the 15th, as opposed to the 12th, book in the run published with a 1988 cover date.

Then, the next month, it reverted back to 01, as shown with #311:

!Bm3GdP!!2k~$(KGrHqIOKkIEtkm7F5EPBLhKthlMVg~~_3.JPG

DC did it this way:

044-2.jpg

Instead of using the number of issues printed that year, they just used the last two numbers of the current issue.

They would then revert back to "01" with the Jan issue, like so:

batman429.jpg

DC/Marvel have used both of these methods interchangeably over the years.

To answer your question, then, your Spidey #361 is a first print. The second printings all had a silver background, like so:

!Bl7YwgQB2k~$(KGrHqUOKkUEtKdqeq5LBLdtFy45ig~~_3.JPG

Hope that helps!

The "04" is for the month, April in this case.

It's a 1st print.

The 2nd print has a silver cover.

spider_man_amazing_1963_361a.jpg

Sure, Bradley, go with the easy answer... ;)

Now what was someone saying about "minutiae" earlier tonight...? hm

So ... roller tears ?.. Like from when the book gets made ?.. I was thinking it had to be something like that I know I've seen it before in other comics... thanks man :)

I'm afraid with that tear at the lower staple this book wont get a 9.8,my opinion get a book already graded 9.8 (shrug) shipping and grading fees would cost just as much,and you'll only have a 9.4/9.6 to show for it. 2c

That is my fear for some of my moderns. I haven't sent in any yet, so I don't know what 9.8 really looks like...I'm really anal, and I think I know what one looks like, but I would hate to send one in just to have it come back at a 9.6, when I could have spent the shipping and slabbing fees on an already slabbed 9.8.

My instinct tells me that tear by the staple would kill you...I wouldn't send that one in hoping for a 9.8.

But like I said...I have no idea what I am talking about. lol.

That is my fear for some of my moderns. I haven't sent in any yet, so I don't know what 9.8 really looks like...I'm really anal, and I think I know what one looks like, but I would hate to send one in just to have it come back at a 9.6, when I could have spent the shipping and slabbing fees on an already slabbed 9.8.

My instinct tells me that tear by the staple would kill you...I wouldn't send that one in hoping for a 9.8.

But like I said...I have no idea what I am talking about. lol.

Just look at it this way...

If you can see a flaw within the first 5 seconds of looking at the book, it's not a 9.8.

If you can see a color breaking spine stress mark, it's not a 9.8.

If you can see any damage bigger than, say, 1/16" of an inch, it's not a 9.8.

There are, of course, exceptions, but those are the general guidelines. Most people gloss over those flaws, but genuine 9.8s are relatively tough to obtain (except, of course, for Wolverine #1 and Spiderman #1.)