• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay vs Comiclink vs and Heritage: Who is the winner?

29 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, I won a Heritage survey a while back and won a free no commission fee up to $500 (up to $5000 auction value). Did I really win anything because the buyer's fee is still 15%. Comiclink is 10% seller's fee and Ebay around 6 % seller's fee (another 3% if you use paypal with credit card). I don't have to pay the 15% sellers fee but I lose out maybe 5% difference in commission. Heritage does have a higher profile and maybe worth the extra 5%. Does anyone here actually sell on heritage (30% is a lot of commission). Thank you.

I was not overly pleased with my heritage experience. After all their fees and commission on top of them not really advertising the book correctly on ebay I was out around $10k so, I wont be using them again. Dont know about comiclink. I say stick to ebay. Why?

1. you are in control of how the book is listed

2. most people in the comic community use ebay moreso than heritage and comic link

3. its what the market will bear

Cons

1. you might get a seller that doesnt pay but you can always relist

2. their purchases are still guaranteed even if they use paypal (which does kinda take a bite out of the money transfer) but you can always use bank transfer or money orders

• For the pricier books where you have the audience, Heritage might be an alternative.
  • eBay is great for a range of services, more risk but more reward. But those fees continue to mount even if you don't sell. They call it the 'Virtual Garage Sale' for a reason. You just don't know what you'll find..both in the items you've bought and the sellers who sell them.
  • ComicLink has infinite time auctions and they seem to be supahot lately. And, you don't pay commission until you sell. Also, you can continue to market your book and sell it yourself-you are comitted in the other scenarios.

I personally would like to see a service that mixes the best of the above that makes it cheaper for sellers, protects buyers (ie no more Dr. Scissors) by focussing specifically on the comic collectibles market (like Heritage). I think it would go over well. Whatcha think?

The winner for me is eBay. Comiclink is crazily overpriced and I do not agree with Heritage's business practices.

Just curious about your thoughts...

Could you elaborate on Heritage's business practices that you don't agree with?

Also, ComicLink charges 10% to seller and 3% buyer if they use PayPal. so that's about half what Heritage charges (15% each). confused-smiley-013.gif Now, if you are referring to the crazy prices sellers are setting their books at--that's not ComicLink, as they are more or less a venue like eBay (except they are the brokers).

ComicLink's 10% 893applaud-thumb.gif is a nice alternative to Heritage & the 26% (not 30%) that they skim from the consignor. Raw GA is priced competitively on ComicLink with vintage books that may be lower priced than what is available on eBay. If u feel the ComicLink CGC price is skyhigh, just make a counteroffer via a bid.

The fact that they allow their own staff to bid on their auctions, and that there is evidence to suggest that they have books cleaned and pressed to achieve higher CGC grades (ie more $$$) don't strike me as strictly ethical.

If you do a board search on Heritage you will find that these topics have been discussed at length in the past.

The fact that they allow their own staff to bid on their auctions, and that there is evidence to suggest that they have books cleaned and pressed to achieve higher CGC grades (ie more $$$) don't strike me as strictly ethical.

If you do a board search on Heritage you will find that these topics have been discussed at length in the past.

Nice to know thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Actually, I want to share a story that I just finished with my recent Heritage acquisition--will do in a new thread... gossip.gif

ComicLink's 10% 893applaud-thumb.gif is a nice alternative to Heritage & the 26% (not 30%) that they skim from the consignor. Raw GA is priced competitively on ComicLink with vintage books that may be lower priced than what is available on eBay. If u feel the ComicLink CGC price is skyhigh, just make a counteroffer via a bid.

True enough. I don't have any problems dealing with Comiclink, but my preferences lie with eBay, where I feel at least most auctions start out on a level playing field.

OK, I guess I slipped on a bananna peel. I thought Heritage got 15% from both buyers and sellers. Where's the 26% coming from...

Heritage: i sold a very pricey book through them and like I mentioned earlier, after ALL the fees were taken out I didnt even break even, which, I should have paid more attention to their fee arrangement but I will not be going back. I think they are just too big of a company and they take a very nonchalont attitude after they have your book. I prefer to be more in control of screwing up the sale of several high grade books versus letting someone else screw it up for me. Dude: Listen to people that know: if you know how to list the item and sell it, put it on ebay. I feel the bad experiences with nonpaying bidders on high priced books are way over done. If not, go with comic link but youll get 100% more people noticing your auction if its a big book there and if you select how you want them to pay you: money order, paypal, bank transfer, etc, you will not get ripped off.

.g. Item hammers at $100 at Heritage auction + 15% juice = $115. Net to consignor is $85 or 73.9% which is 26.1% less than the total squeezed out of the hi-bidder (not including state taxes or postage). Math 101.

Or you can look at it this way.

1) You get $85

2) Sold yourself you would get $115 (assuming no fees to anyone)

3) That's 35% profit you DIDN"T MAKE ($115/$85 - 1). Math 102.

Comiclink's prices seem reasonable and comparable to Ebay's. The advantage is there is no reserve fee, listing, or hosting fees. If you have a unique or highly desirable book, the price seems to get met. It seems like books are snatched up as soon as they are listed lately. 10% commission is not bad, slightly more than Ebay and you don't run the risk of the transaction.

e.g. Item hammers at $100 at Heritage auction + 15% juice = $115. Net to consignor is $85 or 73.9% which is 26.1% less than the total squeezed out of the hi-bidder (not including state taxes or postage). Math 101. hi.gif

I misread his statement. Thought he was referring to 26% being the fees Heritage takes--which is actually 30%. Thanks for the math lesson... foreheadslap.gif

Why not just consign to Metropolis? While I usually charge a 15% consignment fee I will match the Link's price at a flat 10% for all of my forum brethren. I do not charge extra if my buyer pays using a credit card or anything else. You can either send me a scan or actually mail me the book. Your book will be listed on my site, included in my Feature Gallery as well as weekly emailsto tens of thousands of buyers. My site has over one million pages accessed monthly and we reach all types of buyers not just guys looking for hot Marvels, high grade or CGC graded comics (though we do get them too!). If you are interested in pursuing this simply email me at vincentz@metropolisent.com and I will look over your list. You are also welcome to call me at 800-229-6387.

Sincerely,

Vincent