• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Revisiting the X-men Complete with Variants Set

23 posts in this topic

Dre has told me that there was a discussion in the past about what issues to include in the X-men Complete (with variants) set. I wanted to re-open the discussion since I think there are some issues that are missing and that some of the issues listed as 2nd prints are actually reprints. Additionally, I think there are some reprints that ought to be included, too.

First off, there are a number of issues that are reprints published between 1992 and 1994 of which only one, #268, is included in the set and it is incorrectly listed as a 2nd Print. These books were all printed for JC Penny and/or Sears and are included in their catalogs. The are described on the STL web page. Whether they are reprints or 2nd prints is probably a matter of semantics but they were all published well after the originals and some are known as the Stridex variants due to the back cover being different. Check them all out here.

JC Penny Reprints

The X-men issues included in these reprints/2nd issues are as follows:

268 (1992),

60, 61, 245 and #1 Marvel Milestone Edition (1993), and

28, 62, and 63 (1994)

I believe that none of these but 268 are listed in the current set. It seems to me that either all of them or none of them should be included in the set.

The second bunch of books are the reprints included in the Marvel Legends action figures. I believe there are 16 separate issues reprinted for the various action figure series. The issues and corresponding action figures are:

4 - Toad

5 - Angel

13 - Juggernaut

18 - Iceman

96 - Storm

97 - Havok

101 - Phoenix

117 - Professor X

133- Yellow Wolverine

141 - Logan

201 - Cyclops

213 - Brown Wolverine

243 - Mr. Sinister

258 - Psylock

451 - X-23

Annual 10 - Longshot

I’m not an expert on action figures so if there is something missing or just plain wrong about the list, please correct me.

I’m of the opinion that if you are going to include the 1992-1994 reprints in the set that you should also include the Marvel Legends Reprints in the set. The Marvel Legends books are easy to get for the most part. The 1992-1994 books are not.

:ohnoez:

lol

You can't blame me for this one.

lol

Indicia on the 268 reads "Second Print". I may have a raw copy running around here I can scan.

The Marvel Legends reprints are just that "reprints". Internally they have less pages, different page quality, and were released recently. The advertising inside is also only for Marvel & Marvel Legends action figures, nothing else.

Some of the covers don't even match up. (You are missing a few by the way... :baiting: )

I have them all, but I think they should be left out.

Don't worry, Doc. Given the frantic pace of posting, the thread will be relegated to the second page shortly.

I don't really have much issue with the 'vintage pack' books being included. It looks like they left the 'second printing' off the indicia of the 1993 books but not the 1992 and 1994 books (at least based on what's shown on the STL Comics web site). I guess someone just needs to find one and get it graded.

Don't worry, Doc. Given the frantic pace of posting, the thread will be relegated to the second page shortly.

I don't really have much issue with the 'vintage pack' books being included. It looks like they left the 'second printing' off the indicia of the 1993 books but not the 1992 and 1994 books (at least based on what's shown on the STL Comics web site). I guess someone just needs to find one and get it graded.

You missed the original thread... It got heated if I recall and a lot of people voiced their opinions (including me). But then again, X-collectors are dropping like flies around here.

And aren't there like a couple of dozen X-men sets? Something for everyone? There's got to be an ultimate repository for every bit of X-men ever published.

And aren't there like a couple of dozen X-men sets? Something for everyone? There's got to be an ultimate repository for every bit of X-men ever published.

Alas, I still need many a registry set to show off my X-Men collection. I have a boatload of side series and minis and nowhere to put them... :(

:sorry:

Didn't you request a number of X-men mini-series recently? You BA to modern collection is pretty amazing. Yeah, we can all get the easy books without trying to hard but those pressman variants are stupid-hard. I've found a couple of lousy-quality raws but they aren't worth grading.

And didn't you pick up that HG cent variant in a recent CLink auction?

Naw, the only high grade cent variant I have was on a direct submission. I think it's a 9.4 or something. You know I was pretty hardcore box diving there last year to find some of those rare books. I think I ended up with the first 9.8 for 320 Wizard gold and Authentics, as well as some oddballs like the 318-321 non-deluxe editions (should have been seperate labels) My latest accomplishment was getting all those black variant covers for X-Men: Search For Cyclops in 9.8, those were a pain, and just managed to get them all in one shot.

I'd love for them to expand the registry to include all these minis I've been subbing and picking up ( :baiting: Gemma :luhv: ) but it hasn't happened yet.

As a recent X-men registry newbie and long time fan I would like to think that at some point the registry is closed to `more copies`` of X-men 101 or any other issues. I tried to make a similar point with Image 1sts that were recently released.

I think the Marvel Legends should be a Marvel Legends run and not an Uncanny addition 2c

Didn't you request a number of X-men mini-series recently? You BA to modern collection is pretty amazing. Yeah, we can all get the easy books without trying to hard but those pressman variants are stupid-hard. I've found a couple of lousy-quality raws but they aren't worth grading.

And didn't you pick up that HG cent variant in a recent CLink auction?

I agree on the Pressman variants... any idea on why the registry points aren't higher on those? (Full disclosure, I've got 2 in my set :cloud9:)

Hey guys I am very very new to here so please bare with me. I have nearly a full run of the Uncanny X-men. However I am not sure where to go for this. What is this Registry. Do you mean CGC? and the only Pressmen Variant I do not have is the 297 Gold. I was dumb and I have seen many as a kid. Just never realized it would be a nice unicorn to have.

Is their a list posted someplace that This board has compiled on what books make your Line complete?

Thank you for any help.