• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pov's 1st BA Grade Questie-Spotlight 12

16 posts in this topic

So interested in the grade of this cutie. Am supplying links as is my want.

Spotlight 12 Front

Spotlight 12 Back

Pages are white. Some distributor ink on back and yes, that "dingle" on lower back is there but the scan greatly exagerrates it. Also the tips of the front left corners are a lot less rounded than the scan suggests. No more apologies though. Very glossy and crisp. Wondering how the off-staples will impact - thinking less than if they werre off on the front than the back. Will be posting several BA books daily for grade thoughts.

PS - bought from a forum member and MUCH MORE than satisfied with the grade given - just curious how the BA books are perceived now that I actually HAVE some. Is dashedly difficult to judge from just a scan. Now I got a scan and the real book to judge by! Never too old to learn! grin.gif

8.0-8.5

confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks for reply - now can you explain the 8-8.5? As I said - have only seen BA books for grading in scans - these will be my first lots where I actually HAVE the books to compare to my scans and the forumites' opinions!

Thanks, Dice!

PS - this is in preperation for me to hit Wondercon with a pocketful of bucks to spend on BA DC Horror - need a refresher course in BA grading!

8.0 because of that ding. If not as bad as it looks, maybe 8.5. You should get some cinder blocks and press that sucker out!

Anyway, nice book. Great cover inks and nice whites. thumbsup2.gif

You should get some cinder blocks and press that sucker out!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nope! If you have read my resto posts in the past, you would know I consider that restoration. I COULD take that ding out with better methods than cinder blocks - but then I would be in a different class of sleaze, I think! (I LIKE the class of sleaze I am already in!) smile.gif

Still hoping for more folks to offer opinions.

Believe me, I was kidding. Cinder blocks wouldn't take out the color breaks and it would be clear that you pressed the book. smile.gif

Nope! If you have read my resto posts in the past, you would know I consider that restoration. I COULD take that ding out with better methods than cinder blocks - but then I would be in a different class of sleaze, I think! (I LIKE the class of sleaze I am already in!) smile.gif

Believe me, I was kidding. Cinder blocks wouldn't take out the color breaks and it would be clear that you pressed the book. smile.gif

Errrr - color breaks on a white ground? confused.gif

The ones on the front from the same impact creases.

Errrr - color breaks on a white ground? confused.gif

The ones on the front from the same impact creases.

OK - gotcha - I count three - one at 1/64th, one at 1/32nd and one at 1/16th. Kind of a cool ratio. See? THESE are the things I need to know about for BA. I bet if this were a GA book it would be higher! thumbsup2.gif

PS - is still abovegrade as sold to me! Kudos to seller! thumbsup2.gif

I say 8.0 because of the corner dingage it has on the back cover scan.

A few stresses. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not a bad looking book. Just that damage that shows up on the back.

shocked.gif

Dice - I gotcha! Not protesting - examining the current thought on BA book grading. It is really out of my experience and plan on dropping a bundle at Wondercon on BA horror - so getting myself educamated! grin.gif

Hey pov... hi.gif...based on the visible scan I would grade this an 8.0 ...my experiance with BA has been that if there is a defect such as that ding that looks more like a crunch...coupled with the minor stresses ...then CGC will not give the book a VF+....Nice book ...but that "crunch" kills any chance of a higher grade...

JMO... thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I'm in the 8.0 camp on this one with a shot at 8.5. The book has great "eye appeal" as it appears perfectly centered with great color (typical of books with white pages), and the distributor's ink isn't apparent from the front. Also, the fact that the top of the book is so sharp doesn't hurt either... thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I'm in the 8.0 camp on this one with a shot at 8.5. The book has great "eye appeal" as it appears perfectly centered with great color (typical of books with white pages), and the distributor's ink isn't apparent from the front. Also, the fact that the top of the book is so sharp doesn't hurt either... thumbsup2.gif

stop the presses - i'm fully (well almost) agreeing with the good doctor. would the fact that the distributor ink slightly bled into the back cover be a defect?? still, at least an 8.0 (IMO). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif