• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miller DD over 100k with the vig

218 posts in this topic

Having communicated with the current owner of the Dark Knight Returns #2 cover, I can honestly say it is not going anywhere. I have tried for years to pry it from him and he will not sell.

i woudln't either. :insane: can you get him to post a scan or pic? :wishluck:

A question regarding Frank Miller's involvement with Daredevil from this thread. Is Daredevil #183 (Angel Dust drug issue) from the prime era of Frank Miller artwork that is being mentioned, since that was originally to be Issue #167, but shelved 'til being published as #183?

Re: DD #183

I would say looser Miller pencils with Janson finishes.

I believe the plot was drafted and a partial -script was submitted by Miller for approval. Given the controversial nature of the subject matter, the story was shelved pending input from the Comics Code Authority.

The plot was later re-worked and expanded to 2 issues (183 and 184) with revisions made to the original -script. No artwork was actually drawn until the final -script was approved. At this time, Miller was looser with his pencils.

Cheers!

N.

A few thoughts from a newcomer (i.e. someone who has only two pieces of recenty acquired OA)...

This has always been one of my favorite covers from the DD run... It is a work of art, separate from being part of a story. Some of the other "better" covers mentioned, 158, 168, etc.... don't really stand as separate pieces of art to me, as they merely illustrate a segment of a story. The DD/Black Widow cover, on the other hand, tells no story whatsoever, yet encompasses some real emotive response imagery. When you look at it, do you think "passionate embrace" or "attack from behind"? Heh... sorry to lapse into unwanted verbosity, but as I said, this has always been one of my favorite DD Miller covers, and If I had the scratch, I would've been a third bidder to push the price to even higher "retarded" levels.

When I think of Wolverine, the image that always comes to mind is the cover for LS #4, not #1...

my 2c

A few thoughts from a newcomer (i.e. someone who has only two pieces of recenty acquired OA)...

This has always been one of my favorite covers from the DD run... It is a work of art, separate from being part of a story. Some of the other "better" covers mentioned, 158, 168, etc.... don't really stand as separate pieces of art to me, as they merely illustrate a segment of a story. The DD/Black Widow cover, on the other hand, tells no story whatsoever, yet encompasses some real emotive response imagery. When you look at it, do you think "passionate embrace" or "attack from behind"? Heh... sorry to lapse into unwanted verbosity, but as I said, this has always been one of my favorite DD Miller covers, and If I had the scratch, I would've been a third bidder to push the price to even higher "retarded" levels.

When I think of Wolverine, the image that always comes to mind is the cover for LS #4, not #1...

my 2c

This is one of the best descriptions of why someone appreciates a specific piece of art that I have read in a long time.

(thumbs u

As far as the published comics go, the #188 cover is not one of my favorite Miller DD covers. However, as far as the OA to these covers go, it's probably in the top half-dozen or so that I would want to have. I mean, think about it this way - the #184 cover, for example, is one of the more memorable covers from the run by most accounts (I remember that it even made one of Wizard's all-time best covers lists...err, not that I consider Wizard to be the authority on that!) But, what must the original art look like - Daredevil from the neck up, holding a gun, with no background. Big whoop. The OA must look very sparse and, without logos/stats, it would barely even look like a cover. The same can be said of many of the covers from the run - they may be more memorable than the #188 as far as the published books go, but the original art for them probably doesn't look anywhere near as good as the published cover.

As I said previously, the #188 stands on its own, and also shows some very early signs of the artistic style that Miller would eventually adopt. Personally, being a fan of all the DD/Elektra stories, I would rather own the #168, #174, #175, #176 and #181 covers than the #188 (I'd pass on the #179 as it doesn't have DD on the cover). But, from an artistic standpoint, I think only the #181 has anywhere close to the quality of the #188. The other ones I just like because of the characters depicted and the nostalgia/appreciation for the interior stories from those issues.

That said, I think the price is aggressive for a piece with good relative artistic merit but lacking in the importance/nostalgia/significance as many of the other covers in the run. But, if it makes the buyer happy, more power to him. I know for me that, no matter how much money I had, I would not feel good about paying a price for something that was well in excess of what I thought it was worth - the so-called winner's curse. That is why I dropped out of the bidding for the Judge Dredd #1 cover last year, even though I could easily have afforded to run up the price - winning the piece at that kind of level would have detracted from the pleasure for me. Like I said - just because one can, doesn't mean one should... hm

I never thought I see the day where Hall and Oates was referenced in a Frank Miller DD thread. :baiting:

I agree with Gene that once you remove the stats and logos, the so called "iconic pose" covers often don't look so great.

I personally favor covers where the hero is in a precarious situation and has some backgrounds. So as far as cover designs go, I like #188. IMHO the cover should draw a person in, enticing them to actually want to buy the comic and read it.

The #188 cover does that for me so congratulations to both buyer and seller.

Most of the "iconic" covers you see tend to be a way for artists to draw generic covers for inventory, ready to be used when deadlines are looming. That's why there are no backgrounds or villians. The generic covers can be used for any issue at any time. However, I will say that if the price is right, I will gladly buy a generic cover with the hero in an iconic pose.

Cheers!

N.

Re: DD #183

I would say looser Miller pencils with Janson finishes.

I believe the plot was drafted and a partial -script was submitted by Miller for approval. Given the controversial nature of the subject matter, the story was shelved pending input from the Comics Code Authority.

The plot was later re-worked and expanded to 2 issues (183 and 184) with revisions made to the original -script. No artwork was actually drawn until the final -script was approved. At this time, Miller was looser with his pencils.

Cheers!

N.

I've held a few different pages from these issues. Some look like the style from the 160s, and some look like the Janson-Breakdowns style.

One of the pages, which looks very much like their style from the 160s, has word balloons whited out and redone throughout the page. I would say the single-issue (167) was drawn, then new pages were added when the story expanded.

I never thought I see the day where Hall and Oates was referenced in a Frank Miller DD thread. :baiting:

Well, they were all popular in the 1980s! lol

So were you :slapfight:

It's actually very possible that I read the newest Miller DD in my dorm room, just purchased off the newsstand, while the newest Hall & Oates video was playing on Friday Night Videos. :blush:

He won't. VERY private guy.

What's up with all these private guys?

I guess like Tim said in another thread, they're probably embarrassed to say they paid such a sum for a comic related item, unlike in the real art world where you can spend 30 million for a painting of a fat lady on a couch and not be judged for doing so... hm

A general musing regarding Miller - do most of you guys believe that his art (or rather a small amount of his art) should be so much more expensive than any of his peers?

Obviously select Byrne pieces have been selling privately for around the $100k mark for a few years and again select Perez pieces have also achieved close to that amount, but what of other great artists whose runs in the 70's/80's garnered them great attraction - Starlin, Grell, Romita Jnr, Layton ?

Working on the presumption that both art and story need to be at the top of the collective heap, to have a shot at the $100k barrier, what titles/story arcs would you say that the Starlin's/Romita Jnr's etc have done that could possibly attain this level (and in the case of Captain Marvel and Starlin, have they already have surpassed this level ?)

A general musing regarding Miller - do most of you guys believe that his art (or rather a small amount of his art) should be so much more expensive than any of his peers?

Absolutely. When you think of artists of the 1980s, there are 2 that tower over the rest: Miller and Byrne.

In the next tier I would put Perez (although personally I`m not a huge fan), Bolland, MacFarlane and Jim Lee, although I really think of MacFarlane and Lee as artists of the 90s, notwithstanding that some of their best work was in the late 1980s.

Working on the presumption that both art and story need to be at the top of the collective heap, to have a shot at the $100k barrier, what titles/story arcs would you say that the Starlin's/Romita Jnr's etc have done that could possibly attain this level (and in the case of Captain Marvel and Starlin, have they already have surpassed this level ?)

None.