• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

back from CGC- guess the AF# 15

39 posts in this topic

Probably a 5.0. Btw, did they put those wedges in all your recent submissions? All the ones I got back a couple weeks ago had them.

Brian

murph; not sure what you mean by wedges, but there's nothing different about my last dozen from the ones from a year ago, that i notice 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Does the book have the incredible color in person it appears to have in the scan?? Dark browns, deep reds, heavy blacks...great registration, your best gem yet! thumbsup2.gif

i had an 8.5 in my hands last week and thought this looked better!!! and since i owned them both, i wasn't being biased (well- maybe a little since that one was a purchase from almost 2 years ago and not an original).

i think this shows beautifully because all four creases are virtually unnoticeable (until you get to scrutnizin') blush.gif

You do realize there's a sub crease running down the middle of the cover, right? That combined with the other crease he mentioned and the stress viewable in the scan definately knocks it way out of the F/VF range IMO.

Brian

You do realize his post said "i must have folded it once because there is the faintest (almost invisible until you hold the book at just the right angle) non-color breaking "fold" running down the middle," right?

Okay, wat's the CGC grade?

no grade until the smokin'hawk gives me a number grin.gif

also, while there is definitely a fold, it is not a subscription crease as i bought it off-the-rack sumo.gif

A fold is a fold, whether you can see it straight away or not. Given, one that shows more rampantly would be a far bigger downgrade.

Burntboy, the little wedge is the thing that sits right underneath the book in the well.

Brian

BOY, the fact I don't own a book like this BURNS me up.

How did you store this book in the sixties ?

They only invented plastic in 1967...right? 27_laughing.gif

Did you have it sitting flat on a shelf? Vertical ? Just curious.

i stored them standing up in dresser draws blush.gif

switched to polybags in the 70's and mylar in the 80's.

and the winners are: Garth , Fantasy (each for the second day in a row) and Arty. these three didn't hedge their votes and went straight 5.5............ 893applaud-thumb.gif

most of you were within a point - very good job, but a sad outcome for me. but, another lesson learned about creases and their importance................ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

For comparison's sake, here's my Hulk 4 with a heavier sub crease that got a 4.5. Other than the sub crease, there are a few spine stresses and a faint 1/4" crease bottom right.

hulk4.jpg

I was somewhat incorrect when I mentioned the 1/4" inch rule that I discussed in your Hulk #1 thread.

It is actually in Gerber's Photo Journal Guide Vol. 1.

He doesn't specify what a Very Fine book is, but under the Fine section he says

"If you trimmed (don't) 1/4" from around the front cover, it should then be a mint piece of cover".

This is why I really believe that long corner creases and subscription creases ALWAYS keep a book at grades of FN or less.

One again, it comes back to what I think would be natural reading and storage wear and other wear.

Oh man, that doesnt say much for my Superman #75 PLATINUM that I sent off that is perfect in every way (except for the minor crease down the middle) 893frustrated.gif

Well maybe if you'd sprung for the full-size mailer instead of trying to send it to CGC in a standard #10 envelope...!?! 893whatthe.gif

Oh man, that doesnt say much for my Superman #75 PLATINUM that I sent off that is perfect in every way (except for the minor crease down the middle) 893frustrated.gif

Well maybe if you'd sprung for the full-size mailer instead of trying to send it to CGC in a standard #10 envelope...!?! 893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Great book!

Too bad for that dumb crease or you would have had a 7.5 to enjoy.

5.5 seems about right.

I'd have guessed 5.5 or 6.0.