• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PQ Question

10 posts in this topic

Does the microchamber paper effectively halt paper degradation permanently? What I'm getting at is, at some point will you be unable to trust the CGC pq designation? I know there are no 15 or 20 year-old slabs, but some day there will be.

At that (or some other) point should one question the pq assessment?

Is there a way to know when a book was slabbed?

Yes, on the Collector's Society Home Page there is a dropdown called Grading and Submissions. Select Verify CGC Certification in the dropdown and you will get a screen which will tell you when a book was graded. I believe you need a membership to use this screen. Membership has it's priviliges.

But just because a book has been slabbed for 10 years, you don't need to assume a resubmission will have the same or worse PQ in the new slab. Many old label slabs come back higher. Of course, this may be related almost entirely to changing opinions on the tier thresholds over time...

Not to beat a dead horse but the storage is what affects the paper. Books can be easily fifty years old with white paper because they weathered the years well in a cool, dark, dry environment.

If the slab is stored well, the microchamber paper and its efficacy might well be a moot point.

Poorly stored, high changing humidity and temperatures, microchamber paper or not, there will be a decay of paper quality.

So there really isn't any guarantee beyond the date of slabbing ... :sorry:

Does the microchamber paper effectively halt paper degradation permanently?

No

What I'm getting at is, at some point will you be unable to trust the CGC pq designation? I know there are no 15 or 20 year-old slabs, but some day there will be.

I don't think you can trust the CGC pq designation at any point in time, per se.

At that (or some other) point should one question the pq assessment?

It's all a best efforts task at the time of slabbing - both grade and PQ.