• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Dumb-A** Needs Help With This... "Unique" Problem

12 posts in this topic

Let me preface this by admitting that I'm any number of names that this site would deem as "spoon." - Take your pick.

In February of 2009, I won a ComicLink auction consisting of 13 slabbed books. When I win a book from any auction, I enter it into a spreadsheet, copy and paste scans of the book from the site, which I then separate into folders on my PC. I also save all invoices from each auction.

Today as I was updating my list of titles and issue numbers - something I've been procrastinating on for a variety of reasons - I realize that one of my listed slabs is missing from my collection, but the scan is in it's folder and the sale is listed on the invoice.

To make a long story short - which is impossible by now - the book was never delivered with the original order, and I presumably missed the mistake by C-Link. doh! I was going to list the CGC serial number here to see if anyone had "re-won" the book in a subsequent auction, but I decided to check the Registry first.

I found the matching book in ComicLink's registry (I wasn't even aware they listed one here). I've done a good amount of business with C-Link auctions in the past, and a book was missing from a shipment once before. I called and after they looked into it, they found the mistake and sent the book to me, but I noticed that one when the shipment arrived. I have nothing bad to say about them, and this is totally my own fault for not realizing that the book was not in the original shipment.

I'm going to call them on Tuesday to hopefully get this rectified. I just wanted any opinions from anyone who may have had this happen to them. It's not like the book is a high-dollar item, it's a JLA #22, but I feel like an arse calling them on it over a year later. Like I said, I do have the invoice, but it doesn"t show the serial # - I have that from the scan. Unfortunately, their bid page is only dating back to April of last year.

I feel that I'm entitled to the book, even though it got by me for so long and the fact that they apparently still have it. Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice.

Have a nice holiday weekend. :)

Richie

Yeah, you're entitled to it and they will (should) send it to you without any problems. I had something similar, but my missing book dated back to October of last year. They took my number, searched for it, and found it there. They sent it to me Fed Ex express the next day.

Partly my fault for not realizing it wasn't in the box, but it really is their fault for not shipping a book that you won and paid for.

Good luck! (thumbs u

Andy

One would hope that their spreadsheet records are at least as good -- and probably better than yours. Record keeping with CGC serial numbers would make good business sense for CL.

Shouldn't be a problem from a "taking care of business" point of view.

p.s.

Under Account/Auctions, my bid history goes back to 2006?

I agree - I would think they will rectify without problem. And if you look under Items I'm Buying - Completed Purchases - it shows all auctions won and purchases made. Mine goes back to November, 2003. Some still have pics.

I agree - I would think they rectify without problem. And if you look under Items I'm Buying - Completed Purchases - it shows all auctions won and purchases made. Mine goes back to November, 2003. Some still have pics.

Thank you all for the help. (thumbs u It is showing up in the Completed Purchases section, which I didn't think went back as far (or was too brain-dead to try). The scan is still posted, so the Certification number should eliminate any issue regarding the book's identity, especially since I've never consigned to C-Link. Plus, I picked up 3 books in this last auction, so they can stick it in that box and even avoid a shipping charge (unless they want to comp me the shipping for failing to send it in the first place). :grin:

Just kidding about that last part, but I'm quite sure they'll honor the purchase and do the right thing. I do usually check every package that arrives against it's invoice, but this one got by me. I assume that a few of you can identify with not being able to find a book that you know you've purchased or is listed as part of your collection. I've had it happen before while re-organizing, or changing storage patterns and such, but usually only with raw books and under-copies. It makes you feel like :pullhair: or putting your fist through the wall (in the latter instance, be sure to miss the stud).

It's not about the money (in most cases), but mainly questioning your own sanity (or if brain cells DO regenerate...Namisgr, do they?). I was nearly talking to myself after going through every box of slabs about 3-4 times, then started looking in places that there was absolutely NO chance it might be..."Oh, maybe the dog hid it behind the couch? Yeah, I'll check back there, just in case." :screwy:

As you can now plainly see, my obsession with locating the book no longer lingering, I've unintentionally proceeded to inflict this fingernail-scraping-a-blackboard like diatribe on the MB faithful. I assure you that this was purely accidental and probably caused by the lack of a social gathering around here today...or maybe it IS the brain cells? hm

Anyway, much thanks again for the help. Enjoy this very important holiday, but remember (or learn) what it's really about, and that's not just a long weekend and a Monday off. Give sincere thanks to any and all veterans you have the honor to know or encounter on every day of the year. They are the people who are fully responsible for the freedom you enjoy today, and hopefully will forever.

RP

I can. I collect toys as well as comics & Often find I can't find something in storage that I KNOW I have had at one point & am pretty darn sure that I've not resold it to anyone yet:S

Either way it is a royal person_without_enough_empathy not being able to find something you are sure you own :D If it takes you a long while to find it you do indeed start to question if you even owned said item to start with :D

I can. I collect toys as well as comics & Often find I can't find something in storage that I KNOW I have had at one point & am pretty darn sure that I've not resold it to anyone yet:S

Either way it is a royal person_without_enough_empathy not being able to find something you are sure you own :D If it takes you a long while to find it you do indeed start to question if you even owned said item to start with :D

Exactly - I had a nice, raw FF12 go missing one weekend and became a mental case. Even though my "good" stuff is locked up, I actually considered the possibility that one of my daughters' friends might have stolen it at some point in time, which was ridiculous on my part because they've never been in my comic room (which is ALWAYS locked when I'm out). Like they secretly had a key made, snuck in while my family and I were away, and stole nothing but the FF 12 (maybe they liked that cool cover?).

What I forgot was, a few months earlier I decided to put many of my nicer, raw "key" under copies in one mixed box with an eye toward grading and selling them down the road. I had recently bought a nicer, slabbed copy, so I took the old 12 out of the raw section of my FF collection, then proceeded to put it in the mixed "keys" box. I laid low on the comics for a while after that, and kinda forgot about the new "system" I had incorporated.

After getting the comic bug back, one day while perusing my slabs, I went to my FF box to get the 12 to compare with the slabbed copy, but it wasn't there and I totally forgot that I moved it to the mixed box. I couldn't figure where it could have gone and I was going through boxes among boxes of all kinds of titles over two full days. After finally giving up on ever finding it (and reclaiming my sanity) some time later I eventually stumbled upon it, sitting neatly tucked between an ASM 14 and a Flash 105 in - of course - the stinkin' mixed box.

Did you understand all that?... Because I'm not sure if I did, and I'm the one it happened to. It's really strange what those old, men-in-tights books will do to our minds sometimes. (shrug)

Thanks for relaying your thoughts, Synch. I'm sure there's tons of these stories throughout this community. It may have been done many times over, but a thread on these "disappearing" books may be in order.

You are definitely owed the book, but good luck getting it sorted out so far after the fact. I just sent them 300 books and you can guaran-damn-tee I'm making sure each of my worthless books are accounted for! lol

You are definitely owed the book, but good luck getting it sorted out so far after the fact. I just sent them 300 books and you can guaran-damn-tee I'm making sure each of my worthless books are accounted for! lol

Thanks for your input. I'm hoping there won't be a problem getting it back. The fact that my purchase is still listed on their site - with the scan still up showing Cert. # - is a lucky break for me. Plus, they still have the book, so other than the time period it took for me to realize it never arrived here, it's almost as much their fault for not shipping the book after getting paid.

I've been doing business with them for a long time and have spent plenty of money. If they refuse to acknowledge it and don't try to rectify the issue, all I can say is shame on them. I have a business of my own and my primary objective is maintaining a loyal, satisfied customer-base. If they don't realize the importance of that, then they don't understand one of the basic principles of business.

I'll reserve my judgement of them until next week, because we're both at fault and I haven't even spoken to anyone over there yet. It may turn out to be a simple phone call followed by a swift resolution on their part. Like I previously stated - it's not even a high-dollar book - but I believe that it's my book.

Worst case scenario is, I lose one outlet to buy comics (plus the book) and they lose a loyal, paying customer, who usually grabs - at minimum - 2-3 books in every auction they run. Sadly, all this over a measly JLA #22 missing from a 13 book auction order. (shrug)

RP