• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The four books of the future?

90 posts in this topic

Four books seem to me to be on the move. Primarily they seem to have dug themselves into the consciousness of a worldwide ordians:

Book #1: Tec27

First the Batmania that have been escalating in general pop culture ever since the Jack Nicholsen Joker movie. (Was the instructor Tim Burton?). First Batman is obvious. His got a lot going for him. Comming movie, etc.

Book #2: Bats #1 (first apperance of the joker)

The entire Heath Ledger / Dark Knight frenzy on a global scale, suddenly demonstrated that it is possible to make a great blockbuster movie where the Joker pushes Bats aside and threatens to take over the movie. When I left the cinema I had the joker on my inner screen (not Bats). The Joker is on the move.

Book #3: AF 15

The comming reboot of Spidey. And the huge succes of the recent movies have long ago put this character in circulation world wide.

Book #4: X-men 1

Hollywood apparantly is now buildung the entire x-men universe up from the bottom with (i) origin movies, (ii) solo movies and (iii) and movies containing the different x-men teams in action. On the silver screen x-men as a concept have taken off like no had thought they would. Where other other superheroes have bitterly failed (FF, DD), - the x-men have been suprisingly embraced by a global ordians.

With the recent soft prices across the board, perhaps these are the grails to target for the time being. Why? Ansawer: These four books contain the first apperances (ever) of these four superhero concepts. And that is four concepts that *could* go ballistic in generel pop-culture for the comming years.

And right now the 1st apperances can be had at an all time low, pricewise.

I would add two more and it would be Action 1 and Showcase 22 will be the big surprise.

Four books seem to me to be on the move. Primarily they seem to have dug themselves into the consciousness of a worldwide ordians:

First the Batmania that have been escalating in general pop culture ever since the Jack Nicholsen Joker movie. (Was the instructor Tim Burton?). First Batman is obvious. His got a lot going for him. Comming movie, etc.

The entire Heath Ledger / Dark Knight frenzy on a global scale, suddenly demonstrated that it is possible to make a great blockbuster movie where the Joker pushes Bats aside and threatens to take over the movie. When I left the cinema I had the joker on my inner screen (not Bats). The Joker is on the move.

The comming reboot of Spidey. And the huge succes of the recent movies have long ago put this character in circulation world wide.

Hollywood apparantly is now buildung the entire x-men universe up from the bottom with (i) origin movies, (ii) solo movies and (iii) and movies containing the different x-men teams in action. On the silver screen x-men as a concept have taken off like no had thought they would. Where other other superheroes have bitterly failed (FF, DD), - the x-men have been suprisingly embraced by a global ordians.

With the recent soft prices across the board, perhaps these are the grails to target for the time being. Why? Ansawer: These four books contain the first apperances (ever) of these four superhero concepts. And that is four concepts that *could* go ballistic in generel pop-culture for the comming years.

Shouldn't Action #1 top that list?

Off course you are right to a certain extent. Action #1 is king. But its just that lately supes hasnt really picked up steam on the big screen. Like it or not - Hollywood has an immense impact on a worldwide scale with the financial muscle of that movie machine. The typical 2010 youngster seem thus to have Bats, Spidey and X-men on their radar. Not som much Supes really. He is surely the king for an older generation. And rightly so. But is just seems times are a changing some how. And for me it seems that the characters of the mentioned four books have somehow made it through to en enormous ordiance. Because these characters somehow worked on the big screen. Something clicked. For others it didnt click. I dont think one can overestimate the significance of that fact.

But then again I could be wrong all day long ...

Why would you put X-men up there then? Both Iron Man movies were better than the X-Men movies. Iron Man #1 was by far the best Marvel Movie ever made IMO.

Bruce

Off course you are right to a certain extent. Action #1 is king. But its just that lately supes hasnt really picked up steam on the big screen. Like it or not - Hollywood has an immense impact on a worldwide scale with the financial muscle of that movie machine. The typical 2010 youngster seem thus to have Bats, Spidey and X-men on their radar. Not som much Supes really. He is surely the king for an older generation. And rightly so. But is just seems times are a changing some how. And for me it seems that the characters of the mentioned four books have somehow made it through to en enormous ordiance. Because these characters somehow worked on the big screen. Something clicked. For others it didnt click. I dont think one can overestimate the significance of that fact.

Why would you put X-men up there then? Both Iron Man movies were better than the X-Men movies. Iron Man #1 was by far the best Marvel Movie ever made IMO.

Bruce

An interesting fact about Iron Man that kinda surprised me, last years Iron Man`s total sales in merchandise surpassed Spider-man in overall sales and this was before the second movie came out. How do I know this? Disney brought it up at thier stockholders meeting. who knows how much effect these two Iron Man movies will have had on future collectors?

maybe just maybe TOS #39 might be a sleeper 10 years from now hm

Bruce

An interesting fact about Iron Man that kinda surprised me, last year Iron Man`s total sales in merchandise surpassed Spider-man in overall sales and this was before the second movie came out. How do I know this? Disney brought it up at thier stockholders meeting. who knows how much effect these two Iron Man movies will have had on future collectors?

How are TOS #39's sales doing?

I've seen a few copies on eBay that appear to have gone for pretty fair steals.

I think you better rethink where Wolverine came from, as well as other X-men of the movies.

Hulk 340 is not cheap for one.

I hope movies have little or no affect on comic prices. I'm a collector and I don't want any prices to go up. Regards,

Hulk 340 not cheap? I usually can't give the book away

Does Hulk 340 have any storyline that adds to the Wolverine canon?

I'm sorry, please forgive me for mixing up 340 with 181. My point was that even if X-Men are going to be king comics later, X-Men 1 doesn't have the X-Men characters in it that the movies do. So Wolverine's first appearance would be more valuable than X-Men 1, by the logic of the OP. Regards,

I think you better rethink where Wolverine came from, as well as other X-men of the movies.

I hope movies have little or no affect on comic prices. I'm a collector and I don't want any prices to go up. Regards,

How many you want to give away? I'll take a bunch.

Bruce

An interesting fact about Iron Man that kinda surprised me, last year Iron Man`s total sales in merchandise surpassed Spider-man in overall sales and this was before the second movie came out. How do I know this? Disney brought it up at thier stockholders meeting. who knows how much effect these two Iron Man movies will have had on future collectors?

How are TOS #39's sales doing?

I've seen a few copies on eBay that appear to have gone for pretty fair steals.

yep on Ebay the last few weeks you could have gotten steals.

Trade ya for some real comics :wishluck:

The point stressed here is :

(i) that these particular four books has a lot going for them for the years to come

(ii) due to soft prices lately they can (at least some of them) be had for prices that are all time low

But perhaps I am wrong - what do I know lol

while the prices are a bit softer on these 4 of late, they are still at or near all time highs...no where near all time low prices (shrug)

You are right, -'all time low' is not precise. My point was that these particular books have got so much going for them that even though there is a general recession and everything I dont necessarily see them comming down hard.

Even in this time they have legs to go far I think.

(i) that these particular four books has a lot going for them for the years to come

(ii) due to soft prices lately they can (at least some of them) be had for prices that are all time low

Tec 27 breaks a million

Bat 1 over $300K

X-Men 1 over $100K...

what soft prices?

Among the best of the best copies prices a perhaps not lowered that much. I dont know for sure.

But the bad economy is obviously influencing funny books as well as everything else as we speak. No many will deny that I think!

In terms of soft prices I was thinking the recent Tec27 7.0 (A) moderae sale at HA. *Very* low - even for a PLOD.

AF 15 is down about 30-40% across most grades.

Bats #1 went cheap in blue as well as in purple also in the mentioned HA auction.

X-men is the same I think.

You think other wise? (shrug)

the 7.0 mod tec 27 was a bit lower due to the trimmed centerfold...it would likely have gone higher without the trim...but did seem likely a "bargain"

AF15 is indeed down about 20-40% in 7.0-8.5 grades... down about 20-30% in mid grade, but lower grades have been suprisingly resilient (down to flat)... but take away the 2007-8 run up, and they are selling higher than pre 2007 all time highs, so just a price correction, but I agree 100%, NOW is the time to pick up a nice AF15

bat 1 in blue is selling in ALL unrestored grades at all time highs... 1.0 selling for 13K (highest price ever), 2.5 selling at 22k+ (all time high)... 3.5 selling at 30K + (all time high) , 5.0 blue selling at 46-50K (all time high)...7.0 selling at 90K+ (all time high)...8.0 selling at 100K (all time high)...9.0 blue selling at 315K (all time high)... now is NOT the time to be buying batman 1 unrestored, as I suspect it will pull back a bit once some supply loosens up

bat 1 restored copies have been down, relative to unrestored prices, but are still selling if priced "properly", but unlike their unrestored counterparts which have almost doubled in price of late, they remain flat at best

xmen 1 across all grades is actually selling for gpa or higher (or right there)...

Gator I bow to your overwhelming evidence on the Bats #1. But on the other books I read you as if you do not completely reject that bargains potentially are to be had for the time being at least for Tec27 and AF 15.

I'm not sure I'd put it in the "top-4" of the future, but I do have a good feeling about Superman #1.

I had a theory which I posted in another thread but the conversation seemed to shift elsewhere so I'd really like to here some of the more experienced opinions on this one.

I think there is a reason that despite unrestored Superman #1's selling above guide, the issue doesn't command as much money as I think it possibly could in the future.

For many Superman fans, the top two books would be Action #1 and Superman #1.

For many Batmans fans, the top two books would be Detective #27 and Batman #1.

However, the greater deal of differential between the values of Batman #1 to Detective #27 and Superman #1 to Action #1 might possibly lead to a very interesting dynamic.

Since the differential is greater between Batman #1 and Detective #27, many Batman fans know right off the bat (no pun intended) that Detective #27 will never be an option. Yet those same Batman fans still have plenty of money that they are willing to invest into that "one" grail.

There are a number of collecters who can buy both but my theory applies more to those who save up enough for one "big" purchase.

Knowing Detective #27 isn't an option might shift many collectors' focus to Batman #1. It's the next best thing and has plenty of factors to drive it's desirability all on its own. Since Batman #1 (in this instance) becomes "the" grail for the collectors in question, they're willing to spend more and bid more aggressively as they know this is "the" book for them and they know that even if they pay a solid price for it, at least it won't be Detective #27 money.

Then you have Superman #1 which (before recently anyway) was closer in value to Action #1 then Batman #1 was to Detective #27. You have a similar group of Superman fans who just want to purchase that "one" grail. But since they know that the asking price for a Superman #1 is (or was) somewhat in the realm of what an Action #1 might be, they figure they might as well save up a bit more and get "the" grail of all grails.

This group, if having that type of attitude, is not enough alone to drive down the desire significantly for a book that key, but it might be taking potential buyers and bidders away from Superman #1 as they continue to push a bit further. Without those collectors viewing Superman #1 as "the" grail for them, the demand goes down and so does the value (to an extent anyway).

Think about it this way, people who own Action #1's never really need to "upgrade". If they have an unrestored copy...that's it. They might have a chance to upgrade in terms of grade but with so few copies floating around, it wouldn't be common day practice anyhow. Also consider how many Action #1 owners (unrestored copies) really want to sell at all.

This is not the same case with Superman #1. While many might hold out to get an Action #1, we're bound to have people who went for Superman #1 but later down the road wanted to graduate to an Action #1. So we then see a number of people selling their Superman #1's, which to an extent floods the market which drives down the price. People just don't seem to hold onto Superman #1's the same way people hold onto Action #1's.

Now my theory is that now that Action #1 has become essentially unaffordable in any grade to virtually anyone (the first wrap alone sold for 3K two years ago; wouldn't be surprised to see it sell for much more today), many Superman fans might now shift their focus to the "next best thing". What I feel is yet to happen is that one major sale. For instance, if the Mile High copy sold for the million-plus that many expect it would, suddenly people would view Superman #1 right up there along with Action #1 and Detective #27; to an extent of which we might not be seeing yet.

Thus an increase in value for a book that at this point, might be on the rise.

Just a theory and one that could be 100% wrong; but as I said before, I'd like to hear more experienced opinions.

Tec 27 breaks a million

Bat 1 over $300K

X-Men 1 over $100K...

what soft prices?

Among the best of the best copies prices a perhaps not lowered that much. I dont know for sure.

But the bad economy is obviously influencing funny books as well as everything else as we speak. No many will deny that I think!

In terms of soft prices I was thinking the recent Tec27 7.0 (A) moderae sale at HA. *Very* low - even for a PLOD.

Bats #1 went cheap in blue as well as in purple also in the mentioned HA auction.

the 7.0 mod tec 27 was a bit lower due to the trimmed centerfold...it would likely have gone higher without the trim...but did seem likely a "bargain"

AF15 is indeed down about 20-40% in 7.0-8.5 grades... down about 20-30% in mid grade, but lower grades have been suprisingly resilient (down to flat)... but take away the 2007-8 run up, and they are selling higher than pre 2007 all time highs, so just a price correction, but I agree 100%, NOW is the time to pick up a nice AF15

bat 1 in blue is selling in ALL unrestored grades at all time highs... 1.0 selling for 13K (highest price ever), 2.5 selling at 22k+ (all time high)... 3.5 selling at 30K + (all time high) , 5.0 blue selling at 46-50K (all time high)...7.0 selling at 90K+ (all time high)...8.0 selling at 100K (all time high)...9.0 blue selling at 315K (all time high)... now is NOT the time to be buying batman 1 unrestored, as I suspect it will pull back a bit once some supply loosens up

bat 1 restored copies have been down, relative to unrestored prices, but are still selling if priced "properly", but unlike their unrestored counterparts which have almost doubled in price of late, they remain flat at best

xmen 1 across all grades is actually selling for gpa or higher (or right there)...

Gator I bow to your overwhelming evidence on the Bats #1. But on the other books I read you as if you do not completely reject that bargains potentially are to be had for the time being at least for Tec27 and AF 15.

while I wouldn't use the term "bargain" you are correct in that right now is a great time to be buying AF15's...

any time is a good time to buy tec 27's, prices are cyclical...now unrestored, now is NOT nec. a good time to buy, as prices for unrestored copies have more than doubled since the 1mil sale...but restored copies, "if" you can find them, seem to be selling consistently, with no real price increase (relative to their unrestored counterparts) noticed...of course, could also be that there are just not that many copies that even come up for sale in a year too (thumbs u

xmen 1 seems to not have had the huge price increases of late, that say af 15 or sc 22 have, so it has remained relatively consistent...

a few examples of xmen 1's "staying power" are the 4 sales of over 100K on 9.4's... the 25K ebay sale of a 9.0 recently, a 27K private sale of a 9.0 recently, etc...so, higher grade copies are still selling (typically) for all time highs (no pull back that I really have noticed) and mid to mid/high grade are still selling consistently at or near highs, and lower grade too,has not seen any "downward" turn that would indicate a "bargain" right now (in fact, most every copy is still selling at or above recently realized sale prices)... that said, Xmen 1 in grade, is "cheap" when compared to, say AF15 in grade, so by that comparison, it is still a fine time to buy, but I wouldn't expect any "huge" surges in prices (as we have already had the Xmovie affect applied)

Tec 27 breaks a million

Bat 1 over $300K

X-Men 1 over $100K...

what soft prices?

while I wouldn't use the term "bargain" you are correct in that right now is a great time to be buying AF15's...

any time is a good time to buy tec 27's, prices are cyclical...now unrestored, now is NOT nec. a good time to buy, as prices for unrestored copies have more than doubled since the 1mil sale...but restored copies, "if" you can find them, seem to be selling consistently, with no real price increase (relative to their unrestored counterparts) noticed...of course, could also be that there are just not that many copies that even come up for sale in a year too (thumbs u

xmen 1 seems to not have had the huge price increases of late, that say af 15 or sc 22 have, so it has remained relatively consistent...

a few examples of xmen 1's "staying power" are the 4 sales of over 100K on 9.4's... the 25K ebay sale of a 9.0 recently, a 27K private sale of a 9.0 recently, etc...so, higher grade copies are still selling (typically) for all time highs (no pull back that I really have noticed) and mid to mid/high grade are still selling consistently at or near highs, and lower grade too,has not seen any "downward" turn that would indicate a "bargain" right now (in fact, most every copy is still selling at or above recently realized sale prices)... that said, Xmen 1 in grade, is "cheap" when compared to, say AF15 in grade, so by that comparison, it is still a fine time to buy, but I wouldn't expect any "huge" surges in prices (as we have already had the Xmovie affect applied)

GAtor thanks for supplying this overview. Its great reading!

I think a lot of boardies are missing these broader market report like summarizing statements on core segments of the market. It gives you a feel that you are in touch with whatever is on the move.

I realize after what you have said that my theory about 'the four books of the future' rather should be narrowed down to (i) AF15 and (ii) *restored* Tec27s.

Advise taken ... Thanks!

Tec 27 breaks a million

Bat 1 over $300K

X-Men 1 over $100K...

what soft prices?

GAtor thanks for supplying this overview. Its great reading!

I think a lot of boardies are missing these broader market report like summarizing statements on core segments of the market. It gives you a feel that you are in touch with whatever is on the move.

I realize after what you have said that my theory about 'the four books of the future' rather should be narrowed down to (i) AF15 and (ii) *restored* Tec27s.

Advise taken ... Thanks!

Between these two books (i) and (ii) I am especially tied to BatMan. It started out originally as a fascination with DD. But slowly I became aware that the dark, hellish stuff in DD was a BatMan rip-off under Marvel auspices. And when you find out that, - then SA is no longer the real ballpark. Then you need to go GA to get to the buttom of it all .... :bump:

I think restored batman 1's are a "good" buy compared to unrestored... the problem right now is that the available restored copies in the market (mainly ebay) seem to be overpriced as evidenced by the lack of sales movement on them (some newly overpriced, some have been overpriced for some time)... but when copies generally come up in a no reserve type setting, they always sell and they typically sell for close to (higher or lower) FMV ...

now, there was a little run up about 1 1/2 years ago where restored copies did seem to take a 20% or so price spike up (I suspect it was the dark knight movie that did it)...but that price spike has since been corrected and we seem to be back to "normal" selling ranges...

unrestored, different story... about 10K a point on lower grade, and anywhere from 12-15K a point on mid to mid/high is about FMV these days...and that is a 50-100% increase from just 3 years ago

I think restored batman 1's are a "good" buy compared to unrestored... the problem right now is that the available restored copies in the market (mainly ebay) seem to be overpriced as evidenced by the lack of sales movement on them (some newly overpriced, some have been overpriced for some time)... but when copies generally come up in a no reserve type setting, they always sell and they typically sell for close to (higher or lower) FMV ...

now, there was a little run up about 1 1/2 years ago where restored copies did seem to take a 20% or so price spike up (I suspect it was the dark knight movie that did it)...but that price spike has since been corrected and we seem to be back to "normal" selling ranges...

unrestored, different story... about 10K a point on lower grade, and anywhere from 12-15K a point on mid to mid/high is about FMV these days...and that is a 50-100% increase from just 3 years ago

Purpel Bats #1 probably the way to go. Moons ago C-Link had a dream example: Moderate 9.2 (married).

Thats about the only thing I like less on PLODS: they dont appreciate much. Anything else about ém I love. :cloud9:

Trade ya for some real comics :wishluck:

If they're very high grade, we can talk...I could use them for the Baltimore Comic Con in August.

I have to comment on this... "Ordians" instead of "audience"? How did you get that? That's actually kind of impressive, in a hooked-on-phonics kinda way.

I have to comment on this... "Ordians" instead of "audience"? How did you get that? That's actually kind of impressive, in a hooked-on-phonics kinda way.

I think bad pronunciation can have a lot to do with poor spelling by some people. If they don't hear it properly pronounced, I don't blame them.

The spelling you read by believed native citizens is scary sometimes.