• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Approved Seller' Status

379 posts in this topic

Look, if you want feedback, go to ebay. If you want someone else controlling everything, go to ebay. If you want escrow, go to ebay.

The answer to this is exceedingly simple.

Returns must be accepted on any items sold through the boards, within a reasonable period of time.

If you feel the need to make a grading comment, do it only through PM, and if the seller doesn't relent, only then proceed to outing the book on the board.

Let the board police itself. It has done very well for the most part, and the return policy would make it as good as it can possibly be.

You will never make this system perfect, no matter how hard you try. Requiring a full refund policy is the best you can ever do.

(thumbs u

This all sounds like a crock to me. Since I've been on here I think I've run 3 or 4 sales threads, in my experience most buyers on here only buy from specific sellers. My last thread didn't even bring in so much as a single PM low ball offer. Without question, the majority of members don't know who I am and that without question affects the success of a sales thread. Keep in mind, newer members joining this board don't know you either and just because you have a high post count doesn't imply you're in any way trustworthy. All this new concept, in my opinion, would do is form a little inner circle of those that have been on here the longest. I never knew this board existed until around August of 2009, I just don't spend that much time online, but I've been buying/selling comics for over 25 years. I don't sell much anymore because I've pretty much sold off the majority of what I no longer want but I also don't feel the need to prove my honesty/integrity/grading ability to ANYONE unless there's an actual dispute over it. The entire time I've been in this hobby I've never taken advantage of anyone I've dealt with nor do I intend to. I find this whole proposed concept to be a bit insulting. Just because an individual isn't on here posting as much as some doesn't mean in the least that they're a lesser member of this community and should be suspect before any wrong doing has even occurred. 2c

This is not a means of stopping people selling here. Think of it more as 'Power Seller' status.

Status will not be determined by post count but by previous conduct and board involvement.

I'm sure you've never taken advantage of anybody...and if you'd traded through here all those years, your exemplary conduct would be recognised if this was ever implimented.

Why are you insulted? You're insulted because people who have professionally and ethically dealt with hundreds, possibly thousands, of transactions right here might have a level of recognition that you don't?

Please explain why 'it's a crock'?

1. I believe Jeffro nailed it.

"Just another clique on the boards. If you don't know the (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more) secret handshake then you're not in the "club""

2. Think of it more as 'Power Seller' status.

I've had just as many problems with 'Power Sellers' as regular sellers on ebay.

3. I hear a lot of talk about this being such a great and accepting community but at the same time, I for one, have never felt as though the majority of long term members are all that interested in making anyone feel welcome. There are board members whom I've had dealings with that have been very pleasant so don't get the impression I'm trying to single anyone out. All I'm saying is that, I've paid my dues in this hobby, and I don't feel that just because I've been on this board for less than a year that I'm not as trustworthy as you or anyone else. I'm willing to bet I've sold books to and bought books from a whole lot of board members going back to long before this forum existed.

That being said I'll shuffle back to the SS forum and stay there because quite frankly I don't feel welcome anywhere else on this board unless I'm spending money.

I disagree with any type of fee. Too much potential for abuse, and virtually no benefit to be obtained.

Abuse by whom?

And the benefit is solely for the buyers...should they get ripped off, there is a means of compensation if all else fails.

Finally, given the cost of selling anywhere else...CLink, Heritage, eBay...I don't think a $25 lifetime membership is exactly taxing.

It's certainly not a deal-breaker, but many associations have this sort of thing in place.

This thread is about rectifying abuses within the sales forum and you're asking me who will abuse it? Really?

We've got several hundred sellers at $25 @, that gets you well into the thousands of dollars. I'm sure NOBODY would EVER think of trying to get their hands on that. Let's see, me and my buddy buy in for $25 a pop, he "rips me off" for a $2500 book, instant 500% profit.

Wait, I've said too much... on second thought... let's make the buy in $50 :devil:

There are some good ideas being tossed about here, but restraint will be the key.

Absolutely free market = chaos

Minimally regulated free market = good for buyer & seller

Restricted market = Russian/Ukranian/Chinese famine

Oh, and good luck enforcing the returns! (thumbs u

Just to play devil's advocate here.......

I, for one, agree that sellers should offter money back guarantees but shouldn't that ultimately be up to the seller?

No. It should be completely up to the collective will of the boards. This board is not about individual seller's rights. It is about the community. If a seller won't play by the rules, then he should not be allowed to sell here. He can start his own website and do whatever he likes.

isn't that collective will determined by whether anyone wants to buy from you?

who determines this collective will? will I get a ballot in the mail?

i think a lot of people, like me, can be lazy and we don't feel like having to go through 14 steps to be able to sell here.

As pointed out, having a refund pool is just too easy to abuse. Why should I have to pony up if Seller X rips off buyer A? Would the buyer be eligible for a full refund or simply the $25 Seller A has on deposit?

I disagree with any type of fee. Too much potential for abuse, and virtually no benefit to be obtained.

Abuse by whom?

And the benefit is solely for the buyers...should they get ripped off, there is a means of compensation if all else fails.

Finally, given the cost of selling anywhere else...CLink, Heritage, eBay...I don't think a $25 lifetime membership is exactly taxing.

It's certainly not a deal-breaker, but many associations have this sort of thing in place.

This thread is about rectifying abuses within the sales forum and you're asking me who will abuse it? Really?

We've got several hundred sellers at $25 @, that gets you well into the thousands of dollars. I'm sure NOBODY would EVER think of trying to get their hands on that. Let's see, me and my buddy buy in for $25 a pop, he "rips me off" for a $2500 book, instant 500% profit.

Wait, I've said too much... on second thought... let's make the buy in $50 :devil:

There are some good ideas being tossed about here, but restraint will be the key.

Wanna be my buddy? :shy:

Look, if you want feedback, go to ebay. If you want someone else controlling everything, go to ebay. If you want escrow, go to ebay.

Returns must be accepted on any items sold through the boards, within a reasonable period of time.

If you feel the need to make a grading comment, do it only through PM, and if the seller doesn't relent, only then proceed to outing the book on the board.

Let the board police itself. It has done very well for the most part, and the return policy would make it as good as it can possibly be.

You will never make this system perfect, no matter how hard you try. Requiring a full refund policy is the best you can ever do.

:golfclap:

Like I said, while simple on the face of it, there are far more complications to this than just forming a committee, having folks pony up money and riding off into the sunset.

Abuse by whom?

I would like to buy your whole collection, sir! Can you fit it all into a single envelope with ambiguous tracking info? I shall send you a Western Union telegram... post haste! I shall be in Nigeria, please find me there.

As pointed out, having a refund pool is just too easy to abuse. Why should I have to pony up if Seller X rips off buyer A? Would the buyer be eligible for a full refund or simply the $25 Seller A has on deposit?

I want to make it clear that I'm not endorsing the fee, I'm just pointing out another place where it seems "off".

Shouldn't the buyer be the one paying for protection? This is like having car dealerships pay for drivers' insurance.

(worship) Has'nt the current sales threads worked out pretty well for the most part. (shrug)

Abuse by whom?

I would like to buy your whole collection, sir! Can you fit it all into a single envelope with ambiguous tracking info? I shall send you a Western Union telegram... post haste! I shall be in Nigeria, please find me there.

:roflmao:

Charging sellers $25 for the right to sell here and using the $$ to "fix" bad deals is an insane idea. Wouldn't be hard to abuse the system and the fund could be wiped out by one bad transaction and we would be back to square one.

Creating a committee to create a list of prefered sellers is an awful, awful idea. Who has the right to decide who is on the committee? Who has the right to decide who is a favoured seller and more importantly, who is not? What criteria would the committee use to create the list? How does a new or un-favoured seller get on the list?

Charging sellers $25 for the right to sell here and using the $$ to "fix" bad deals is an insane idea. Wouldn't be hard to abuse the system and the fund could be wiped out by one bad transaction and we would be back to square one.

Creating a committee to create a list of prefered sellers is an awful, awful idea. Who has the right to decide who is on the committee? Who has the right to decide who is a favoured seller and more importantly, who is not? What criteria would the committee use to create the list? How does a new or un-favoured seller get on the list?

Dammit, Torch. Get off the fence and say what you really mean. So wishy-washy . . .

Dammit, Torch. Get off the fence and say what you really mean. So wishy-washy . . .

It's a Canadian peacekeeping thang.

:sorry:

I would prefer to see a combination of post count and join time as requirements to sell here. Should be easy to build into UBB code.

Personally I am a fan of the point system. For example yojoe.com has it setup with a thread that when you ar satisfied with a transaction you post in that thread the username and if you bought, sold or traded and if you where happy. There is a moderator that updates a master list with a plus 1 or minus 1 to your/their score. This way you can tell who is a good seller and who isn't and is newbie friendly and helps them know who the good sellers are, who the new sellers are and who the bad sellers are.

On hisstank.com it is a bit different where once you do a deal somone makes a feedback thread titled with your name. Once that thread is established, your following sales the person leaves feedback in that thread. You can tell by the length of the threads if a person is a trusted seller or not. Not as good as the point system.

With computer sites they are encompassed as a whole since majority of them recognize heatware.com as a valid feedback site. You could even use heatware for this site. Only problem is that feedback can be screwed with on that site but they do keep an eye out for irregular feedback.

Anyways I am a fan of the point system and here is link to the yojoe one.

http://forums.yojoe.com/good-traders-sellers/72735-good-bad-trader-list-2010-a.html

As an out of work second in command, am I gonna get any work out of this as a Number 2?

DSC009141.jpg

Especially, when the boardies use the "$25 right to sell charge" to fund their building of the subterranean volcano base under CGC headquarters. :roflmao:

As an out of work second in command, am I gonna get any work out of this as a Number 2?

DSC009141.jpg

Especially, when the boardies use the "$25 right to sell charge" to fund their building the subterranean volcano base under CGC headquarters. :roflmao:

Yikes. Cursed Pirate Dude. Please do not attempt to grow your hair out like CPG!