• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,931 posts in this topic

Never seen one but they do exist.

I'm in the same boat: I know they exist, but never saw one before.

So does it have a different cover or is the inside just not in 3D?

Never seen one but they do exist.

I'm in the same boat: I know they exist, but never saw one before.

So does it have a different cover or is the inside just not in 3D?

It's the same as the other Eclipse non-3D 3D editions - the cover is the same, the interior is not 3D, and there's a note from Cat Yronwode inside the book explaining why they put out a non-3D version of a 3D comic book.

I have one copy, but it's barely a 9.0 - when you're dealing with a book that has a print run in the hundreds and was only available through mail-order from Eclipse, you grab whatever copy you can find, no matter the condition.

Fear & Laughter is clearly under appreciated..

But it doesn't have a DS cover. If it did, it would be a monster. As it is, it's a cool book for hardcore DS collectors.

Quack isn't a DS cover either, yet it seems much more collectible/popular.

But it doesn't have a DS cover. If it did, it would be a monster. As it is, it's a cool book for hardcore DS collectors.

Do you think so? Aggiez copy is sexy, but I haven't seen many copies of Quack #1 on display at conventions or anything. :)

I think both are big time niche books. We all just like the hell out of them because this is where the DS nuts all hang out.

Do you think so? Aggiez copy is sexy, but I haven't seen many copies of Quack #1 on display at conventions or anything. :)

I think both are big time niche books. We all just like the hell out of them because this is where the DS nuts all hang out.

Although I don't see a huge difference in the collectibility of either book, I think the Quack! #1 book may have the edge because it is over a year older and arguably the first comic book work from Stevens...although I don't believe this has been confirmed yet.

See the note from Nick below. There are a few non-comic books (fanzines, mags...) that featured splashes of Dave Stevens work but Quack! may be the first "comic book".

+ Frank Brunner is no slouch...

What was his 1st comic book work? Here is what shows up on the DS checklist, but in chronological order from 1975-1977.

--------------------------------------

- SOURK, BOB, Destiny Science Fiction #2 (Spring 1975) c

- ALFONSO, BARRY, Mysticogryfil #2 (May 1975) c a(2, 8, 27)

- SAN DIEGO COMIC CONVENTION, San Diego Comic-Con Souvenir Book (1975) a a(i)

- STAR REACH PRODUCTIONS, Quack #1 (July 1976), s- ALFONSO, BARRY, Mysticogryfil #3 (Winter 1976-77) s(21-22) a(3, 23)

- SAN DIEGO COMIC CONVENTION. San Diego Comic-Con Souvenir Book (1976) a a(i)

- BYBLOS PRODUCTIONS, Tarzan Monthly #1 (1977) s(i)

- LUG EDITEUR (France), La Guerre Des Etoiles (1977) s(i)

- SAN DIEGO COMIC CONVENTION. San Diego Comic Convention Program Book (1977) a a(i)

- KITCHEN SINK COMICS, Fear and Laughter #1 (September 1977) s(i)- MARVEL COMICS, Marvel Special Editon #2 - Star Wars (1977) s(i)

- MARVEL COMICS, Star Wars #6 (December 1977) s(i)

LEGEND:

a - Art; a(i) - Art inks; a(p) - Art pencils; c - Cover art; c(i) - Cover inks; c(p) - Cover pencils; d - Design; Idx - Index; i - Interview; Int - Introduction; s - Story art; s(i) - Story art inks; s(p) - Story art pencils

--------------------------------------

So it looks like Quack #1 came before Fear & Laughter #1. What about the other items from 1975 - any of these in comic book format?

hm

- SOURK, BOB, Destiny Science Fiction #2 (Spring 1975) c Fanzine

- ALFONSO, BARRY, Mysticogryfil #2 (May 1975) c a(2, 8, 27) Fanzine

- SAN DIEGO COMIC CONVENTION, San Diego Comic-Con Souvenir Book (1975) a a(i) Souvenir Book

None are true comic books. Quack! is the first.

Can someone tell me on the Sheena 3d if the Glasses are loose or bound in the book?

My CGC copy does not say on the case if the glasses are included or not and my raw copy , the glasses are loose.

Not sure if I sould send the glasses to CGC with my raw copy or not, but I don't want to get a green label for not having them either.

Edited by faster friends

Can someone tell me on the Sheena 3d if the Glasses are loose or bound in the book?

My CGC copy does not say on the case if the glasses are included or not and my raw copy , the glasses are loose.

Not sure if I sould send the glasses to CGC with my raw copy or not, but I don't want to get a green label for not having them either.

I have a raw copy with the glasses loose but that doesn't mean much. I think I bought this copy off eBay and the glasses came loose with the book.

Paul, you could always call and speak to one of the graders to ask. I've spoke with them beforehand, and it was never an issue.

- SOURK, BOB, Destiny Science Fiction #2 (Spring 1975) c Fanzine

- ALFONSO, BARRY, Mysticogryfil #2 (May 1975) c a(2, 8, 27) Fanzine

- SAN DIEGO COMIC CONVENTION, San Diego Comic-Con Souvenir Book (1975) a a(i) Souvenir Book

None are true comic books. Quack! is the first.

Yup. That was the conclusion after going through all the 1975-1977 material on the Dave Stevens checklist.

Paul, you could always call and speak to one of the graders to ask. I've spoke with them beforehand, and it was never an issue.

Seems like we've had this discussion before in here as well. I think we eventually came up with the glasses were loose with the book. I have a pair in the comic bag behind the backing board...

Seems like we've had this discussion before in here as well. I think we eventually came up with the glasses were loose with the book. I have a pair in the comic bag behind the backing board...

You're right, which reinforces the message "everything that can be discussed has been discussed on the board."

doh!

I had asked about the 3D-Zone 16 glasses a while back as well were folks seeing different size glasses inserted in the book. The 9.4 I sent into CGC had large, white glasses. The later copies had these colored 3-D glasses frames.