• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,931 posts in this topic

Are we in a collecting rut? Have we bought everything out there? (shrug)

I was. Then after buying two Stevens books and asking a dealer if he had more - which he informed me he did, but only of the same books - my rut was over. And one of these is my all-time favorite Stevens book.

Stevens_Goodies001.jpg

:banana::luhv::banana::luhv::banana::luhv:

And the scary thing is even after I bought these, he posted more.

:o

hm

Well it's good to know that there is still some interest on the boards!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=56&Number=5999094&Searchpage=1&Main=271644&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post5999094

(a sales thread link where I sold some Dave books....took less than 30 minutes!)

That DNAgents cover is quite possibly the sexiest ever made.

Seconded.

A 9.8 copy of that book has become my great white whale. I got a couple of possibilities that I will be sending in very soon, so :wishluck:.

Best of luck! I'm 0 for 2 now. :lol:

Seconded.

A 9.8 copy of that book has become my great white whale. I got a couple of possibilities that I will be sending in very soon, so :wishluck:.

I was looking recently on Ebay at DNAgents 24 closed sales. I saw more purchases from the same user with 282 feedback, and then read "Mitch" in the username. It all came together.

:ohnoez:

I hope some of those end up in the 9.6/9.8 range.

:wishluck:

Seconded.

I was looking recently on Ebay at DNAgents 24 closed sales. I saw more purchases from the same user with 282 feedback, and then read "Mitch" in the username. It all came together.

:ohnoez:

I hope some of those end up in the 9.6/9.8 range.

:wishluck:

I have exactly two that I think have potential. We shall see. It doesn't help that I just love that cover so am compelled to collect it. I think I may have a problem... :insane:

I have exactly two that I think have potential. We shall see. It doesn't help that I just love that cover so am compelled to collect it. I think I may have a problem... :insane:

:foryou:

I think my Dave Stevens fever has morphed into Mike DeBalfo fever. :eek:

:foryou:

Stop following me! :lol:

Gather around, kids. Gotta a tale to weave. In my search for the Destiny cover I contacted alot of folks. Some replied, some didn't give me the time of day. I did however, get in touch with someone at the Dave Stevens Estate that has been alot of help. They've even perused our little slice of heaven here. In doing they noticed our discussion about the new book from IDW and it's delay.

Here's what they told me.....

I got to the part where you guys were all talking about the new Covers and Stories book and the delay in publishing. There is a back story to that and I don't know if you have heard up until this point, but here it is: the printer completely screwed up the book. The pages where there was a two page spread, with a nice picture of Bettie on it, were not lined up correctly. On one page in particular, her foot was crooked; her ankle did not match up with her foot. It was terrible! The publisher really vacillated about whether they should let it go to sale, or tell the printer to destroy all copies and reprint. It was clearly the printer's fault. The printer agreed to reprint, however, it apparently was cheaper for them to cut apart the book and fix it by hand with manual labor. Imagine that! So what showed up at Comic Con this year, was the first couple hundred books that were fixed. That's why there were only a short run available at the Con. And that's why the rest weren't going to be available until September. They needed extra time to fix the rest of the printing. Yeah, by hand. Interesting story. But very, very true.

Also...

And to top it off, IDW was vacellating about destroying vs. Selling bad copies barely three weeks before the Con! I was amazed that they had any to sell at all! It is a pretty cool book

So, if you got a copy from SDCC, it was probably made by hand. :D

Gather around, kids. Gotta a tale to weave. In my search for the Destiny cover I contacted alot of folks. Some replied, some didn't give me the time of day. I did however, get in touch with someone at the Dave Stevens Estate that has been alot of help. They've even perused our little slice of heaven here. In doing they noticed our discussion about the new book from IDW and it's delay.

Here's what they told me.....

I got to the part where you guys were all talking about the new Covers and Stories book and the delay in publishing. There is a back story to that and I don't know if you have heard up until this point, but here it is: the printer completely screwed up the book. The pages where there was a two page spread, with a nice picture of Bettie on it, were not lined up correctly. On one page in particular, her foot was crooked; her ankle did not match up with her foot. It was terrible! The publisher really vacillated about whether they should let it go to sale, or tell the printer to destroy all copies and reprint. It was clearly the printer's fault. The printer agreed to reprint, however, it apparently was cheaper for them to cut apart the book and fix it by hand with manual labor. Imagine that! So what showed up at Comic Con this year, was the first couple hundred books that were fixed. That's why there were only a short run available at the Con. And that's why the rest weren't going to be available until September. They needed extra time to fix the rest of the printing. Yeah, by hand. Interesting story. But very, very true.

Also...

And to top it off, IDW was vacellating about destroying vs. Selling bad copies barely three weeks before the Con! I was amazed that they had any to sell at all! It is a pretty cool book

So, if you got a copy from SDCC, it was probably made by hand. :D

Interesting and good to know. I was really wondering why they could have the book ready for SDCC but then the regular version wouldn't be available until September (recently pushed back to October). At least this provides an explanation.

Well, the next big holiday is Halloween.

MikeDebalfo.jpg

One of my favorite DeBalfo covers. I have 2 of those ready for submission. (thumbs u

This is going to seem off-topic but bear with me.

So I went to my first comic-con ever yesterday. The El Paso Comic-Con. It turned out to be a huge waste of time and money that left me a little disappointed and with a serious need to buy some comics.

(Quick sidebar to demonstrate my disappointment: There were only five booths at this con that were actually selling comics, and that is counting the guy who had 3 short boxes set out. As I'm looking at one vendor's wall, he asks what I'm looking for. I tell him anything Dave Stevens related. He says, "Can you give me some examples, I've never heard of him." doh! I smile and walk away.)

In order to cheer myself up after the con disappointment, I stopped by an LCS. They seldom have anything I'm looking for but are usually good regarding supplies so I figured at the very least I could grab some bags and boards.I'm flipping through the same boxes that have always been there, the usual Marvel and DC stuff. Then I notice that on the floor beneath the Marvel boxes are two rows of long boxes of independent publishers.

What?!?! How could I have missed this all this time.

So after about an hour of digging through dirty boxes filled with books that are mostly unbagged and unboarded, I manage to come out with these.

th_2012-09-16_07-17-10_417.jpgth_2012-09-16_07-17-35_966.jpgth_2012-09-16_07-18-04_613.jpg

th_2012-09-16_07-18-27_99.jpgth_2012-09-16_07-19-09_860.jpgth_2012-09-16_07-20-17_729.jpg