• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,931 posts in this topic

Got the grades back on 2 submissions today. 29 were Dave books and the rest were Walking Deads. Typical submissions - happy with most, disappointed on others. Here's some of the better Dave grades:

Amazing Heroes #37 CGC 9.6

Bettie Page Comics #1 CGC 9.8

Bettie Page: Queen of the Nile #1 CGC 9.8

Bettie Page: Queen of the Nile #2 CGC 9.6

DV8 #1 CGC 9.6

Girl Crazy #1 CGC 9.6

Orbit #1 CGC 9.6

Pacific Presents #1 CGC 9.6

Rocketeer Adventures #1 CGC 9.8

Rocketeer Adventures #2 B&W Incentive CGC 9.8

Rocketeer Adventures V2 #1 Jetpack Edition CGC 9.8

Rocketeer Adventures V2 #2 CGC 9.8

Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom #1 CGC 9.8

Shadow and Doc Savage #1 CGC 9.6

Venus Domina Candlemass Eve Special #nn CGC 9.6

Xena: Warrior Princess #2 CGC 9.8

:applause:

Very nice haul indeed!

Got the grades back on 2 submissions today. 29 were Dave books and the rest were Walking Deads. Typical submissions - happy with most, disappointed on others. Here's some of the better Dave grades:

Amazing Heroes #37 CGC 9.6

Bettie Page Comics #1 CGC 9.8

Bettie Page: Queen of the Nile #1 CGC 9.8

Bettie Page: Queen of the Nile #2 CGC 9.6

DV8 #1 CGC 9.6

Girl Crazy #1 CGC 9.6

Orbit #1 CGC 9.6

Pacific Presents #1 CGC 9.6

Rocketeer Adventures #1 CGC 9.8

Rocketeer Adventures #2 B&W Incentive CGC 9.8

Rocketeer Adventures V2 #1 Jetpack Edition CGC 9.8

Rocketeer Adventures V2 #2 CGC 9.8

Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom #1 CGC 9.8

Shadow and Doc Savage #1 CGC 9.6

Venus Domina Candlemass Eve Special #nn CGC 9.6

Xena: Warrior Princess #2 CGC 9.8

:applause:

Very nice haul indeed!

No kidding.

(worship)

Kinda. You just have to be patient, willing to make deals and remember that what goes around typically comes around so be nice. I've made some pretty good moves here lately with some duplicate books thanks to some board members that were interested in filling some holes in their registry sets. :whee:

Oh, and meant to say that I went to the Charlotte mini-con this last Sunday and Dave books are popular enough that there was actually a DNAgents raw on somebody's wall. You can count on that one moving it's way out of the dollar boxes....:lol:

You would think that wouldn't you. These days it seems like none of the Stevens collectors (mainly us) will go for anything less than 9.8 (I'm the worst) so I don't even go for copies less than 9.8 (unless they are a bargain) because if I ever do get a 9.8 I have a hard time getting rid of the under copy.

:baiting: You know it's true.

You would think that wouldn't you. These days it seems like none of the Stevens collectors (mainly us) will go for anything less than 9.8 (I'm the worst) so I don't even go for copies less than 9.8 (unless they are a bargain) because if I ever do get a 9.8 I have a hard time getting rid of the under copy.

That's exactly my thought, Mayor.

I never sell my under copies.. Too much work. So really buying under the maximum grade I can afford is kind of a waste. :( I have literally HUNDREDS of books that are undercopies that I don't know what to do with now.. lol

Edited by sl4ppy

Not always true. If I pick up a very presentable 9.4, I'm okay with that. But the high-grade examples are nice.

Not always true. If I pick up a very presentable 9.4, I'm okay with that. But the high-grade examples are nice.

I didn't say there weren't exceptions to the rule, and even I have a couple of books that are not 9.8 that I won't get rid of until I do have an upgrade and if that upgrade never happens I'll still enjoy my DNAgents 9.4.

Because most of these books can be found in the wild with a little digging, I am reluctant to snag any copies below 9.8. I much prefer digging through long boxes for gems, when I find one that garners a 9.8, I feel more of a connection with the book.

BTW - I sold a 9.8 Airboy 5 in MCS's December auction. I thought I got a great deal on the book because I paid 40 for it already slabbed. It sold for like $27 :cry:

I know I've said this before, but I would pass on high grade if it was something rare. Not just to collectors, but others as well. I would take my early fanzines over a 9.8/9.9 Space Vixens any day. (shrug)

I know I've said this before, but I would pass on high grade if it was something rare. Not just to collectors, but others as well. I would take my early fanzines over a 9.8/9.9 Space Vixens any day. (shrug)

Are you saying you would rather go for rare than high grade? If so, I will agree with that. That's why I went on such a hunt for that Back Issues I have. It won't be the only copy for long. In fact, I know of at least two more out being graded now, but it will always be the first one graded! I don't want my obsession to branch out to fanzines just yet so I'm trying to be good about that :lol:

Are you saying you would rather go for rare than high grade? If so, I will agree with that. That's why I went on such a hunt for that Back Issues I have. It won't be the only copy for long. In fact, I know of at least two more out being graded now, but it will always be the first one graded! I don't want my obsession to branch out to fanzines just yet so I'm trying to be good about that :lol:

Still looking for the GL/GA reprints? Check your WTB thread. :grin: