• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,931 posts in this topic

Here's an interesting one I happened across.

LTOmDKil.jpg

LTOmDKi.jpg

Dave Stevens inked a portion of the book. I so wish he had done the cover, as it seems to mirror some of his work. His masterful touch would have made it pop!

I can't remember where I saw this but it wasn't that long ago and I thought about picking it up but passed on it. Still, I agree :applause:

As for the "complete" registry vs the "cover" registry, can we have both or do we need to decide on one?

There have been other collections that have different registry sets (e.g. Walking Dead, The Crow, regular cover titles vs. variants/regular covers). So why not?

I guess the hard part would be devising what to actually put in the set for the complete list. We could use what the official website has listed but there are many foreign editions in there that are likely to be near impossible.

Kind of goes along the same lines with the Vikings books. Dave only worked on one cover but for some reason the multiple variants are listed in the registry?

MikeThibodeaux's cover(s) are often mistaken for Dave's work?

Kind of goes along the same lines with the Vikings books. Dave only worked on one cover but for some reason the multiple variants are listed in the registry?

I agree. But I can also understand why someone may assume this...

263033-20193-120442-1-last-of-the-viking-h.jpg

over this...

e190e3570be89ad2f63eb01681701ba0_xl.jpg

is a Dave Stevens cover. Other than it saying "Dave Stevens" on the second cover, I would have never known.

over this...

is a Dave Stevens cover. Other than it saying "Dave Stevens" on the second cover, I would have never known.

Clearly, most of it was Kirby, or Stevens emulating Jack's work.

The inking over Kirby I can see, but why would a cover that DS had nothing to do with be in the registry set, while a back cover that is a terrific example of his work be removed from the list? This, along with some other issues, bugged me enough to not want to bother with a registry set.

An "Artist's Covers" type list is different than a title run. Are the registry set lists made up simply of requests from collectors? No verification or "scholarship" required?

(shrug)

over this...

I wouldn't have known without the sig either but that being said, with the benefit of knowing to look for it, I can see Dave's softer touch on the inks.

over this...

I wouldn't have known without the sig either but that being said, with the benefit of knowing to look for it, I can see Dave's softer touch on the inks.

I'm not sure I can even say that. Kirby had such a thick line at times it seems that Dave would have to have a strong line to cover them. I'll be honest. The first time I had one of these in hand I stared at it for a while and just couldn't see it.

I'm not sure I can even say that. Kirby had such a thick line at times it seems that Dave would have to have a strong line to cover them. I'll be honest. The first time I had one of these in hand I stared at it for a while and just couldn't see it.

I do have to agree.

But if I am going to stare at either cover, it sure wouldn't be this one.

Now this one - different story. :devil:

Glad to see some Last of the Viking Heroes love, I've got two complete sets of issues #1-12 with the variant #5 and the Summer Specials #1-3 and three copies of the signed and limited trade paperback. Fantastic artwork!

Glad to see some Last of the Viking Heroes love, I've got two complete sets of issues #1-12 with the variant #5 and the Summer Specials #1-3 and three copies of the signed and limited trade paperback. Fantastic artwork!

:applause: