• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,948 posts in this topic

So this is interesting; at least nothing I've had happen before...

I received a notification that a user named JKirbyFan had tried to register my copy of Rocekteer: Special edition. I hit the "reject" button which takes you to a form on the CGC site that asks you to fill out a short message. Unfortunately, the page is also very poorly designed in that when you are done typing your message, the buttons are labelled "accept" and "reject". Assuming I needed to "accept" the form I just entered, that's the button I hit.

Doh. Turns out that button "Accept"s the transfer. :/

So I promptly re-registered the comic back to myself. Within 20 minutes, I received a response from JKirbyFan saying "the book has been paid for and is mine." and the transfer rejected.

So I sent him a board message stating that I think he had been duped or made a mistake and sent a scan of the book in question with it.

rockspec.JPG

This was on the 2nd. He has read the message, but no response. Now I'm suspicious that he's just sniping books. :(

I emailed CGC, but as usual, they are slow to respond too...

Anyone have any ideas?

I have like a dozen 9.8 potential copies of that book that I need to get graded. :P Tell the guy I'll sell him one cheap so he doesn't have to swipe yours to claim it as his own.

All the interesting things you learn going through Registry sets... hm

So, apparently Dave did three DC Who's Who covers back in the 80s. I never would've known this were it not for the registry. That's really interesting stuff, considering I have two long boxes of unread Who's Who from the large copper hoard I acquired this year. Now I have a reason to finally pour through the stuff.

Doesn't look like any of the top sets even have a copy, in any grade. Maybe I'll get a few graded and sell them to you guys, after I keep the best ones for me of course. :P

:wishluck::devil:

So, apparently Dave did three DC Who's Who covers back in the 80s. I never would've known this were it not for the registry. That's really interesting stuff, considering I have two long boxes of unread Who's Who from the large copper hoard I acquired this year. Now I have a reason to finally pour through the stuff.

Doesn't look like any of the top sets even have a copy, in any grade. Maybe I'll get a few graded and sell them to you guys, after I keep the best ones for me of course. :P

Don't worry, I'm motivated to get this done sooner rather then later.

I have a whole short box of Steven's covers I need to sort through and submit on a prescreen. Just never seems to be enough time in the day.

I have a whole short box of Steven's covers I need to sort through and submit on a prescreen. Just never seems to be enough time in the day.

Welcome to the hurdle called "life".

:(

I don't believe it's been brought up in this thread before, but here's a question for you guys:

Has anyone ever seen a double cover Dave Stevens cover comic book? hm

I don't believe it's been brought up in this thread before, but here's a question for you guys:

Has anyone ever seen a double cover Dave Stevens cover comic book? hm

Someone had a signed Starslayer #2 double-cover for sale two years ago in the Gold/Silver/Bronze sales forum. I missed it by two minutes.

:frustrated:

I have two in 9.8 just need the third. Can't remember which one it is I need though. Makes looking for it in the raw a little difficult.

and by the way, when did Dark Horse 100 come off the registry set? Guess I'll be content with the 9.6 copy I just got back....

I have two in 9.8 just need the third. Can't remember which one it is I need though. Makes looking for it in the raw a little difficult.

and by the way, when did Dark Horse 100 come off the registry set? Guess I'll be content with the 9.6 copy I just got back....

I don't think Dark Horse #100 was on the Registry set. When I asked to have it put on for the Dave Stevens Back Cover, Gemma said that it could not be put on until all 5 variant covers had been graded.

I'm not sure why, as I think only 1 had the Stevens Back Cover.

Here's an interesting one I happened across.

LTOmDKil.jpg

LTOmDKi.jpg

Dave Stevens inked a portion of the book. I so wish he had done the cover, as it seems to mirror some of his work. His masterful touch would have made it pop!

Here's an interesting one I happened across.

LTOmDKil.jpg

LTOmDKi.jpg

Dave Stevens inked a portion of the book. I so wish he had done the cover, as it seems to mirror some of his work. His masterful touch would have made it pop!

Sure looks like his work. hm

This reminded me that I picked up this little curious Dave Stevens item a while ago during a ComicConnect auction:

dav9.2a.jpg

I didn't pay close attention to it, put it in the closet while still packaged and it sat there for a few months. Eventually, I got around to opening and inspecting it. Apparently it was a Pay voucher for Dave's Ink touch up work on this PC TPB release:

588601.jpg

So, apparently Dave was asked to touch up one of the most iconic GA covers for its republication under Pacific Comics. I thought that was pretty cool.

Sure looks like his work. hm

This reminded me that I picked up this little curious Dave Stevens item a while ago during a ComicConnect auction:

dav9.2a.jpg

I didn't pay close attention to it, put it in the closet while still packaged and it sat there for a few months. Eventually, I got around to opening and inspecting it. Apparently it was a Pay voucher for Dave's Ink touch up work on this PC TPB release:

588601.jpg

So, apparently Dave was asked to touch up one of the most iconic GA covers for its republication under Pacific Comics. I thought that was pretty cool.

Holy!

Now talk about owning a piece of history. :applause:

hm I know he did art for a few entries. Wasn't aware of cover art.

hm I know he did art for a few entries. Wasn't aware of cover art.

Is that correct, though? I had always heard about the interior contributions. But never about any cover art.

Who's Who #4 (June 1985) a(17)

Who's Who #7 (September 1985) a(6)

Who's Who #18 (August 1986) a(2)

Although with the DC Who's Who and Marvel Universe books, isn't it all that did was took a portion of the internal artwork and inserted it on the cover?

I checked the DC wiki for DC Who's Who Vol. 1 #4.

Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol 1 4

Cover art: George Pérez, Dick Giordano

Pencilers: Chuck Patton, Joe Orlando, Alex Saviuk, Pat Broderick, Brian Bolland, Denys Cowan, Carmine Infantino, Scott Shaw, Bob Smith, Murphy Anderson, Gray Morrow, Walt Simonson, Kurt Schaffenberger, Dave Cockrum, Gil Kane, Irv Novick, Art Adams, Dave Stevens, Brent Anderson, Alan Weiss, Tim Truman, Joe Staton, Keith Giffen, Jack Kirby, George Pérez, Trina Robbins, Steve Leialoha, Dan Jurgens, Terry Austin, John Byrne, Curt Swan.

Inkers: Mike Machlan, Joe Orlando, Terry Austin, Pat Broderick, Brian Bolland, Rick Magyar, Murphy Anderson, Scott Shaw, Bob Smith, Gray Morrow, Walt Simonson, Kurt Schaffenberger, Dave Cockrum, Gil Kane, Romeo Tanghal, Art Adams, Dave Stevens, Brent Anderson, Dick Giordano, Tim Truman, Joe Staton, John Celardo, Karl Kesel, Trina Robbins, Steve Leialoha, Larry Mahlstedt, John Byrne.

Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol 1 #7.

Cover Artists: Paris Cullins, Dick Giordano.

Pencilers: Stephen DeStefano, Pat Broderick, Tony DeZuniga, Bill Sienkiewicz, Murphy Anderson, Dave Stevens, Bill Wray, John Byrne, Joe Staton, Greg LaRocque, Jim Sherman, Jose Delbo, Marshall Rogers, Mary Wilshire, Jerry Bingham, Tim Burgard, Joe Kubert, Dave Gibbons, Howard Bender, Gray Morrow, David Ross, Colleen Doran, Carmine Infantino, Mark Texeira, Shawn McManus, Curt Swan, Carl Potts, Rafael Kayanan, Gil Kane, Dave Cockrum, Scott Shaw.

Inkers: Bruce Patterson, Pat Broderick, Tony DeZuniga, Bill Sienkiewicz, Murphy Anderson, Dave Stevens, Bill Wray, John Byrne, Terry Austin, Bob Wiacek, Jim Sherman, Bob Smith, Marshall Rogers, Dick Giordano, Tim Burgard, Joe Kubert, Dave Gibbons, Romeo Tanghal, Gray Morrow, Klaus Janson, Karl Kesel, Frank Giacoia, Shawn McManus, Gary Martin, Dennis Jensen, Gil Kane, Dave Cockrum, Scott Shaw.

Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol 1 #18.

Cover Artists: George Pérez, Dick Giordano.

Pencilers: Jaime Hernandez, Dave Stevens, Jim Aparo, Rick Veitch, Chuck Patton, Carmine Infantino, Scott Shaw, Marv Wolfman, Joe Staton, Joe Brozowski, Steve Rude, Steve Lightle, Wayne Boring, Dave Gibbons, Shawn McManus, Alex Saviuk, Stan Woch, Luke McDonnell, Denys Cowan, Irv Novick, Mike Zeck, Keith Giffen, Jerry Ordway, Keith Pollard, Art Adams, Jack Kirby.

Inkers: Jaime Hernandez, Dave Stevens, Jim Aparo, Rick Veitch, Karl Kesel, Dennis Jensen, Scott Shaw, George Pérez, Joe Staton, Dell Barras, Steve Rude, Steve Lightle, Dick Giordano, John Byrne, Dave Gibbons, Shawn McManus, Joe Giella, Bob Smith, Bill Wray, Art Nichols, Rodin Rodriguez, John Beatty, Joe Rubinstein, Bob Oksner, Larry Mahlstedt, Jerry Ordway, Will Blyberg, Gary Martin, Greg Theakston.

So....They shouldn't be in the Dave Stevens Covers Registry.

Nope. Though it would be appropriate in a Dave Stevens Complete Registry.

I don't see a Dave Stevens complete Registry.

Sounds like a great opportunity to request one.

Is that correct Dark Horse 100 is not included in the cover registry? It clearly is a back cover from Dave Stevens. I didn't think when it was formed to assemble "covers" there was an additional requirement of "front covers only".