• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,931 posts in this topic

Thanks for helping out :thumbsup:

These I can always rebuild (:gossip: and will). Stuff like that she can't replace a lot of it like the pearls her grandmother gave her or her grandmother's wedding band.

Ok guys we are giving Gemma a fit with the registry set. Maybe we need to do a poll on this or something, but let's discuss it here and see what we come up with.

For the existing COVER registry set I agree that anything that is not either a front or BACK cover needs to be taken out which includes the Who's Who books I just bought a couple of weeks ago :facepalm:

However, I do think the IDW books have their place. Since they are covers that are Dave Stevens artwork they are tributes to him and the only way the set will ever continue to grow. I agree with them not getting a lot of points because they are not as significant in my eyes to Dave's work. With that said you would be hard pressed to take too many spots away using them against older books.

As for the older books I think we should come up with something that makes a little more sense for the points but if you guys want to tackle one thing at a time lets take a bite out of the other stuff first....

:sumo:

thoughts?

Gemma did remove them at the request of a couple of people in the registry updates. That's why I wanted to talk it over here before we went back to her and give her an answer that we've discussed.

Exactly. That's why I'm asking here what everyone thinks.

Exactly! That's why I posted :facepalm: as you would think someone would have pinged members of this thread to ask what changes they would recommend.

:foryou:

Gemma did remove them at the request of a couple of people in the registry updates. That's why I wanted to talk it over here before we went back to her and give her an answer that we've discussed.

I was one of the ones who made a passing comment that they should be dumped. I shared this via PM with fasterfriends...I don't have much appreciation for the postumous, re-colored, re-worked DS "tribute" covers. To me, it's like IDW reprinting a Famous Funnies #210 cover on a new book and calling it a Frank Frazetta cover...then adding it to the Frank Frazetta Covers set...that doesn't work for me. The IDW books are great, but if it were my choice I'd include both front and BACK cover books and leave the registry to originals only.

I was one of the ones who made a passing comment that they should be dumped. I shared this via PM with fasterfriends...I don't have much appreciation for the postumous, re-colored, re-worked DS "tribute" covers. To me, it's like IDW reprinting a Famous Funnies #210 cover on a new book and calling it a Frank Frazetta cover...then adding it to the Frank Frazetta Covers set...that doesn't work for me. The IDW books are great, but if it were my choice I'd include both front and BACK cover books and leave the registry to originals only.

I can see where you are coming from and we definitely agree on the back covers. :thumbsup:

Anybody else want to chime in?

I can see where you are coming from and we definitely agree on the back covers. :thumbsup:

Anybody else want to chime in?

The name of the registry set is "Dave Stevens Covers". Whether it is a reprint or a new release, the IDW books still have Dave Stevens covers do they not? To me, ANY comic/magazine/fan mag with a Dave Stevens cover (front OR back) should be included in this set.

Edited by Shark

I share some people's distaste for the new IDW covers. They do, however, include certain lesser known images by Dave that deserve recognition. They also fit in with the name of the set, Dave Stevens' Covers, so to be totally complete, the set should include those books. I also think that the back covers are pretty much no-brainers, those are Dave's covers.

I'm curious, what do people think here about including the "Cult Movie" covers Dave did? They're not drawings, but they are his art, and include his "DS" signature.

Another thing: the ARK magazine has no place in the registry, as far as I can tell, it's not a cover by Dave, and is in the same category as the Who's Who books.

2c

I'm for taking the ARK mag out. And seems like so far more people want the IDW books in then out.

Be good to hear from a few more peeps though.

+1 on the reworking the points. Some of these books are hard to get and not worth enough points. Such as Jonny Quest #5

I'm for taking the ARK mag out. And seems like so far more people want the IDW books in then out.

Be good to hear from a few more peeps though.

+1 on the reworking the points. Some of these books are hard to get and not worth enough points. Such as Jonny Quest #5

I found one in 9.8 and it's on the way to me!! :banana:

Sorry, it's one of my favorites. :grin: