• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another ebay shipping question to Canada...

10 posts in this topic

Sorry but I didn't see this question asked before and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this. A potential bidder from Canada requested that I ship to a US address that will forward the package to him in Canada. The US shipping address will not be the matching or verified paypal address.

My auctions right now are only open to the US. I don't necessarily have an issue with international shipping as I do it when I sell on the forums. I have a problem with ebay's requirement of package traceability that makes it cost prohibitive. So to make my life easier on ebay I just don't offer my auctions to international bidders.

I could call paypal and ask them but was wondering if other international bidders have made this type of request. If I send the package to an unverified address with delivery confirmation I don't believe I am still protected by Paypal. Any thoughts?

I am not sure whether or not you are still protected. When I am faced with a situation like this, I usually check the persons feedback. If I feel comfortable doing this after chatting with the person through e-mails, I usually will allow it.

First of all, how much more is buyer offering to pay for it?

You got to ask yourself the question is it worth the hassle? if he only offering you a few dollars more or a reason for you to go thru the hassle?

If in doubt call Ebay or Paypal and see what thier policy is.

I believe you have to ship to address provided in Paypal payment to be covered, but it may be worth a call.

One way to deal with that might be to have the buyer change their Mail To address in the Paypal system to reflect US address BEFORE making payment, then you should be covered just fine.

I agree with checking feedback and if you can - emailing other US sellers who have worked with his person and questioning them. I did that before sending a $750 Barbie to an unverified California address which was forwarded on to the Phillipines. Everything went just fine - but I checked it out first, and had delivery confirmation and insurance to CA.

Thanks everyone. I was wondering about other experiences. I just called paypal and they stated that the buyer can change the address during check out. As long as the address in the transaction details match the address I ship to and the system states "seller protected" it will be protected. Paypal changed the deal with only protecting sellers with verified only address about a year ago. So happy I stay on top of things.

Anyway to answer the other question, it is an auction so they are not offering me any money. I am assuming they will just bid like everyone else. I never heard of doing an "escrow" type deal for shipping before and was wondering if anyone else had done this before.

I believe you have to ship to address provided in Paypal payment to be covered, but it may be worth a call.

One way to deal with that might be to have the buyer change their Mail To address in the Paypal system to reflect US address BEFORE making payment, then you should be covered just fine.

This makes sense. It's click or two to change to a different address (i.e., work or home) on one's Paypal account. (thumbs u

This makes sense. It's click or two to change to a different address (i.e., work or home) on one's Paypal account. (thumbs u

I had this scenario come up within the past year for a US transaction, the buyer wanted it shipped to another address and Paypal said I would be covered as long I sent to the address in the buyer's Paypal account, that's why i thought it might apply to the International transaction, but it never hurts to confirm with Paypal first!

I had this scenario come up within the past year for a US transaction, the buyer wanted it shipped to another address and Paypal said I would be covered as long I sent to the address in the buyer's Paypal account, that's why i thought it might apply to the International transaction, but it never hurts to confirm with Paypal first!

Yep that is what paypal confirmed on the phone today. It should be protected.