• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your theme...?

82 posts in this topic

Yes, this has done before.

No, I don't want to bump an old thread.

:cloud9:

What, if any, is your theme? That is, what do you like to collect that is not related to anything but a specific cover theme, rather than a character.

For example...I have two:

Rain covers:

StarSpangledWarStories151.jpg

(in my opinion, one of the top 5 war covers of all times. Strip the cover blurbs and word balloons, and you have an achingly powerful image.)

And starry covers:

45-1.jpg

Don't know why, couldn't tell you in a million years, but I love them just the same. And yes, Van Gogh's Starry Night is among my favs.

'trooper's theme is paratrooper covers, and PokerKid's is playing card covers....I'm sure they'll be along to post, if they so desire.

So...what's yours...?

:popcorn:

Bondage. Well, big shock there....

;)

I was going to guess he collects Japanese guy with big knife covers.

One of us is right. hm

So you collect covers with crazy looking communist Asians on it?

The proper Golden Age term is "Yellow Devils".

Seriously?

Yes, or "Yellow Peril". Also, please note, they weren't communists, they were fascists. The terms are mutually exclusive. (thumbs u

"Yellow Devils" I'm loving that. That doesn't make CGC labels does it? I bet it probably doesn't, but I'm always surprised to see the "Bondage cover" mention on every Captain America cover that has Bucky tightly tied to a chair ready to get worked over by a 'yellow devil'.

I collect head/neck trauma covers. It's a fairly broad category and covers all the high points of golden/atomic age comics...exploding faces, melting faces, decapitation, ocular intimidation, psychedelic experiences, hangings, etc.

groupshot.jpg