• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A chargeback against me on ebay...help?

39 posts in this topic

That's a good tip, RMA. However, if they do send my balance into a negative, I would assume that means that I am unable to use paypal until the negative is cleared or the case is resolved, correct? Seems like a pain either way. Is this why people have mentioned having 2 separate paypal accounts?

Yes, and yes.

And no, I'm not seeing any chargeback fees. I'm fairly certain I followed all the rules. I shipped to a confirmed address and sent the item with tracking info. The item wasn't worth over $250, so I didn't insure it. Has that rule changed? I thought I read somewhere that it has and now all items need to be insured to be covered. True?

No, they only want "signature confirmation" over $250 (total cost.)

However...current USPS policy requires ALL packages insured for over $200 to be signed for, so that's the workaround...plus, you're covered with insurance.

Paypal will not accept the Usps "Insurance" Signature as a valid tracking tool since it's not available thru Usps.com as trackable..only Deliv conf and Sign conf are trackable online as Paypal requires..i've been thru that with Paypal and a missing package...the hassel for a Large $ item being mailed and having a Paypal problem is not worth the extra $2.15 that Sig Conf costs...cover your bases.

That's a good tip, RMA. However, if they do send my balance into a negative, I would assume that means that I am unable to use paypal until the negative is cleared or the case is resolved, correct? Seems like a pain either way. Is this why people have mentioned having 2 separate paypal accounts?

Yes, and yes.

And no, I'm not seeing any chargeback fees. I'm fairly certain I followed all the rules. I shipped to a confirmed address and sent the item with tracking info. The item wasn't worth over $250, so I didn't insure it. Has that rule changed? I thought I read somewhere that it has and now all items need to be insured to be covered. True?

However...current USPS policy requires ALL packages insured for over $200 to be signed for, so that's the workaround...plus, you're covered with insurance.

Paypal will not accept the Usps "Insurance" Signature as a valid tracking tool since it's not available thru Usps.com as trackable..only Deliv conf and Sign conf are trackable online as Paypal requires..i've been thru that with Paypal and a missing package...the hassel for a Large $ item being mailed and having a Paypal problem is not worth the extra $2.15 that Sig Conf costs...cover your bases.

You can get a copy of the signature for an insured package from USPS. Don't waste time trying to do it "automated"...just yell at someone at Paypal. You don't need to pay for the additional Sig Confirmation if it's insured. Insurance trumps all.

And, if you're printing your postage through Paypal (like everyone should be doing), DC is free, so it will show as delivered if it's actually BEEN delivered. Yes, I understand that Paypal "doesn't accept" DC for $250+ packages...that's what the insurance is for.

If your package was MISSING, that's different from "showed up, but buyer claims it didn't."

Signature confirmation is a waste of money if the package is insured.

1-888-221-1161 is Paypal's number.

One more thing....fraudulent buyers know how to work around Signature confirmation. Occasionally, stuff is delivered and the carrier doesn't see that it's sig required.

But when fraudulent buyers see that it's INSURED, they usually don't waste their time trying to make a claim, because if they do, the postal inspectors get involved...and they don't want that.

Insurance is truly the wonder drug for all your shipping woes.

Yes, and yes.

You can get a copy of the signature for an insured package from USPS. Don't waste time trying to do it "automated"...just yell at someone at Paypal. You don't need to pay for the additional Sig Confirmation if it's insured. Insurance trumps all.

And, if you're printing your postage through Paypal (like everyone should be doing), DC is free, so it will show as delivered if it's actually BEEN delivered. Yes, I understand that Paypal "doesn't accept" DC for $250+ packages...that's what the insurance is for.

If your package was MISSING, that's different from "showed up, but buyer claims it didn't."

All understood,and yes..you can get a copy of the Ins Sig thru the post office,my point was that too simplify the process in the event that a problem happens,when adding the Sig tracking into a Paypal claim,the usps ins# will not do the job.

I have been thru the WHOLE process with paypal,i have their phone#,have had heated talks with plenty of people there,and know exactly what paypal wants/does not want. They want a searchable way ONLINE to very the signature...having to get a Usps insurance sig reciept and actually Mailing or Faxing it to paypal,is a real headache.They will not accept email/scans of the reciept.

Again,i have been thru this whole thing with paypal,save yourself a headache when mailing books of large $ value,especially in the thousands,and add Sig Conf for $2

Yes, and yes.

All understood,and yes..you can get a copy of the Ins Sig thru the post office,my point was that too simplify the process in the event that a problem happens,when adding the Sig tracking into a Paypal claim,the usps ins# will not do the job.

I have been thru the WHOLE process with paypal,i have their phone#,have had heated talks with plenty of people there,and know exactly what paypal wants/does not want. They want a searchable way ONLINE to very the signature...having to get a Usps insurance sig reciept and actually Mailing or Faxing it to paypal,is a real headache.They will not accept email/scans of the reciept.

Again,i have been thru this whole thing with paypal,save yourself a headache when mailing books of large $ value,especially in the thousands,and add Sig Conf for $2

I, too, have been through the WHOLE process with Paypal. I know EXACTLY what "they" want, too. I've spent more time on the phone with Paypal in the last 10 years than I have with good friends. I've been a member of Paypal since 2000.

So, trust me when I say that signature confirmation is a waste of time and money. It also lulls people into a false sense of security. Mistakes happen, signatures aren't collected.

And you don't mail or fax...just scan the darn thing and attach it to an e-mail. It's not rocket surgery.

At the end of the day, even if you follow everything to a "T", who gives a rat's bloody arse what PAYPAL wants? Paypal doesn't protect sellers, and they never have! If the USPS screws up and doesn't collect a sig (and this happens with some frequency), and the buyer claims they "never got it"...what good is Signature confirmation to you then?

None.

Is PAYPAL going to cover you if that happens? Of course not! Paypal doesn't care about sellers in any way, shape, or form!

Signature confirmation is a waste of money. Buy INSURANCE, and you'll have absolute peace of mind. Even if Paypal rips the money out of your accunt, that is between THEM, the BUYER, and HIS/HER credit card company. YOU have insurance, which will pay you back for your loss, "loss", or damage.

Screw Paypal and their "rules." They don't protect sellers in ANY way.

But by all means, if it will give a seller an additional "layer" of peace of mind, go ahead and spend that extra $2....as long as you include insurance.

No package...not a single one...should ever, ever, EVER go out without insurance, unless a seller is 100% prepared to eat it entirely. My personal max? $50. Under $50, eh, not worried. ANYTHING over $50...especially "thousands of dollars worth" should always be insured, always and forever, amen.

With insurance, Signature confirmation is a redundant non-necessity. And nothing over a certain amount should be sent without it.

(palindrome post.)

Yes, and yes.

I, too, have been through the WHOLE process with Paypal. I know EXACTLY what "they" want, too. I've spent more time on the phone with Paypal in the last 10 years than I have with good friends. I've been a member of Paypal since 2000.

So, trust me when I say that signature confirmation is a waste of time and money. It also lulls people into a false sense of security. Mistakes happen, signatures aren't collected.

And you don't mail or fax...just scan the darn thing and attach it to an e-mail. It's not rocket surgery.

At the end of the day, even if you follow everything to a "T", who gives a rat's bloody arse what PAYPAL wants? Paypal doesn't protect sellers, and they never have! If the USPS screws up and doesn't collect a sig (and this happens with some frequency), and the buyer claims they "never got it"...what good is Signature confirmation to you then?

None.

Is PAYPAL going to cover you if that happens? Of course not! Paypal doesn't care about sellers in any way, shape, or form!

Signature confirmation is a waste of money. Buy INSURANCE, and you'll have absolute peace of mind. Even if Paypal rips the money out of your accunt, that is between THEM, the BUYER, and HIS/HER credit card company. YOU have insurance, which will pay you back for your loss, "loss", or damage.

Screw Paypal and their "rules." They don't protect sellers in ANY way.

But by all means, if it will give a seller an additional "layer" of peace of mind, go ahead and spend that extra $2....as long as you include insurance.

No package...not a single one...should ever, ever, EVER go out without insurance, unless a seller is 100% prepared to eat it entirely. My personal max? $50. Under $50, eh, not worried. ANYTHING over $50...especially "thousands of dollars worth" should always be insured, always and forever, amen.

With insurance, Signature confirmation is a redundant non-necessity. And nothing over a certain amount should be sent without it.

(palindrome post.)

Hey,YES,i always use insurance for large dollar items,AND Sig conf...thats just the way i do it.So i'm covered at all angles.I wasn't saying Just use Sig conf,but in combo with Ins.

As for this statement from you:

"And you don't mail or fax...just scan the darn thing and attach it to an e-mail. It's not rocket surgery."

I CLEARLY stated above,Paypal WILL NOT accept Emails with attachments.I've been that route.I had to scan and fax,and wait for Paypal to confirm thay they recieved the Fax.So don't say Email it,that is not true.

Luckily,i have been able to deal with any Paypal claims/disputes that i have had as a seller or buyer in recent times in a prompt and "all bases covered" fashion.

Really all i have to say about it,if you do it one way and it works,great.I from past experiences,some recent(this year) have made Sig Conf standard procedure on anything i sell on Ebay,in combo with Ins.

I CLEARLY stated above,Paypal WILL NOT accept Emails with attachments.I've been that route.I had to scan and fax,and wait for Paypal to confirm thay they recieved the Fax.So don't say Email it,that is not true..

Not true.

As I've stated before, how things work with Paypal is very, very, VERY often dependent on who you're talking to.

I have called, been stonewalled, hung up on the "customer service" rep, called right back, explained the problem to someone else, and GOTTEN SATISFACTION. I have often e-mailed directly to THAT specific customer service rep's e-mail.

Is it because I've spent $150K+ with Paypal and been a customer for 10 years?

Who knows?

All I know is this: I have never, ever had to "mail" OR "fax" ANY supporting documentation to Paypal. Someone has always...even if I have to talk to 3 people and a supervisor...always worked with me the way I wanted it done.

And in the final analysis, Paypal is utterly useless anyways. They provide zero protection for sellers. None. You could have hand delivered the item, and gotten the buyer to sign in his AND your blood for it, and signed an affadavit stating that they are completely and 100% satisfied with it...and if they later decide to file a chargeback, and THEIR BANK approves it, there is NOTHING Paypal can do.

Not...one...thing.

So, if you want to waste your money, by all means, feel free. Just understand that it's a waste of money.

(thumbs u

Let me give you one quick example:

http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInternetWeb/InterLabelInquiry.do?origTrackNum=9105150134711971707113

This DC shows (if it's been restored yet) that a slab was out for delivery...and then *poof*

It disappeared into thin air.

The PO couldn't find it. Had no idea what happened to it.

If the buyer had filed a complaint, I would have lost, because the DC showed it was "out for delivery" but was never delivered (actually, what I think happened was simple..the carrier delivered it, and forgot to scan it in as delivered.)

I did everything Paypal required me to do. But if I hadn't had insurance, I would have been out nearly $135. DC failed, and the buyer simply could have filed a chargeback, claiming non-delivery.

Where would I have been? Instead, insurance covered it, I refunded the buyer, and a couple months later, I got everything back except the $2.75 insurance fee.

Would Paypal have protected me in any way, even though I did everything I was supposed to do...?

:roflmao:

And...not only that, but with the new seller requirements on eBay taking into account Paypal/eBay claims, sellers are going to get slammed if they don't simply refund the money at the first sign of trouble and file the insurance claim instead.

Let the USPS sort it out.

I CLEARLY stated above,Paypal WILL NOT accept Emails with attachments.I've been that route.I had to scan and fax,and wait for Paypal to confirm thay they recieved the Fax.So don't say Email it,that is not true..

Not true.

As I've stated before, how things work with Paypal is very, very, VERY often dependent on who you're talking to.

I have called, been stonewalled, hung up on the "customer service" rep, called right back, explained the problem to someone else, and GOTTEN SATISFACTION. I have often e-mailed directly to THAT specific customer service rep's e-mail.

Is it because I've spent $150K+ with Paypal and been a customer for 10 years?

Who knows?

All I know is this: I have never, ever had to "mail" OR "fax" ANY supporting documentation to Paypal. Someone has always...even if I have to talk to 3 people and a supervisor...always worked with me the way I wanted it done.

And in the final analysis, Paypal is utterly useless anyways. They provide zero protection for sellers. None. You could have hand delivered the item, and gotten the buyer to sign in his AND your blood for it, and signed an affadavit stating that they are completely and 100% satisfied with it...and if they later decide to file a chargeback, and THEIR BANK approves it, there is NOTHING Paypal can do.

Not...one...thing.

So, if you want to waste your money, by all means, feel free. Just understand that it's a waste of money.

(thumbs u

150K? Small time! :whatev::baiting::grin:

I know, I know...for "the average collector", that's a lot (about $15K/year) but for the well heeled and BSDs, I can see some spending that in a month.

Although, not through Paypal, I imagine. ;)

I know, I know...for "the average collector", that's a lot (about $15K/year) but for the well heeled and BSDs, I can see some spending that in a month.

Although, not through Paypal, I imagine. ;)

I may never be heeled!

Yes, and yes.

What he said...if you search all paypal bylaws---they want the Sig conf. on anything over $250. Don't skimp on it and do what you want with insurance.

Yes, and yes.

What he said...if you search all paypal bylaws---they want the Sig conf. on anything over $250. Don't skimp on it and do what you want with insurance.

You guys are totally missing the point: appeasing Paypal by following their "bylaws", and thinking they will protect you as a seller IN ANY WAY is a fool's errand.

Paypal CANNOT...and WILL NOT..protect you. If the carrier fails to get a signature, and the buyer claims it didn't show up...YOU LOSE.

All the Signature Confirmation in the world means nothing in the face of a chargeback.

Try and use Sig Conf when push comes to shove, and see who loses...

Good luck!

(thumbs u

Yes, and yes.

You guys are totally missng the point: appeasing Paypal by following their "bylaws", and thinking they will protect you as a seller IN ANY WAY is a fool's errand.

Paypal CANNOT...and WLL NOT..protect you. If the carrier fails to get a signature, and the buyer claims it didn't show up...YOU LOSE.

All the Signature Confirmation in the world means nothing in the face of a chargeback.

Try and use Sig Conf when push comes to shove, and see who loses...

Good luck!

(thumbs u

I have had it happen to me before and had the Sig. Conf (and uninsured) and been fine. I am sure in the .0000001% of the time when the USPS fails to get the signature it will not work. That is my 2 cents.

You have had WHAT happen to you before...? A buyer claimed the item didn't show up, and Sig Conf showed it did? If that's the case...so? You're just as protected in that case with insurance, and if there's damage, you're not covered.

And if you think the USPS fails to get a signature .0000001% of the time, you're wrong. It happens far more than you clearly know.

But if you want to take the risk, no one's telling you you can't.

This information is for people who'd rather not rely on Paypal to protect them as sellers....because they can't and won't.

(thumbs u

You have had WHAT happen to you before...? A buyer claimed the item didn't show up, and Sig Conf showed it did? If that's the case...so? You're just as protected in that case with insurance, and if there's damage, you're not covered.

And if you think the USPS fails to get a signature .0000001% of the time, you're wrong. It happens far more than you clearly know.

This information is for people who'd rather not rely on Paypal to protect them as sellers....because they can't and won't.

(thumbs u

A) Yes---it happened on a chargeback

B) I guess I don't understand how they 100% of the time get the insurance signature, but fail to get the signature confirmation signature all the time. What would be the difference?

C) I won't reply anymore because you are gonna tell me you are right and I am wrong. All I know is that Paypal covers you when you have signature confirmation and not when you have insurance and all you have to do is type the number in the box and get your money back (when they release it). We can have this circular argument all day long, but I give....I hope my info helps someone.

(thumbs u

A) Yes---it happened on a chargeback

Then you were lucky, and had a stupid buyer who thought they could get away with something they couldn't. If Signature Confirmation showed it was delivered, then the buyer's ISSUING BANK was the one that denied the chargeback. If they had NOT denied the chargeback, you would have been out of luck, and it's entirely out of your control.

You got lucky.

*I* had a buyer whose bank totally IGNORED the evidence against his claim, and Paypal did nothing for me. They could not, and would not, do anything to deny the chargeback, because they cannot.

B) I guess I don't understand how they 100% of the time get the insurance signature, but fail to get the signature confirmation signature all the time. What would be the difference?

Who said they did...? Not me.

With insurance, however, it doesn't matter if the post office fails to get a signature. If they fail to get a sig, that's on them, and they have to pay out the claim.

You're protected in ANY and ALL scenarios.

C) I won't reply anymore because you are gonna tell me you are right and I am wrong. All I know is that Paypal covers you when you have signature confirmation

I'm sorry, sir, but you're wrong.

Paypal does NOT "cover you" when you have signature confirmation if A. a signature isn't obtained; B. the item is lost; or C. the item is damaged.

Insurance covers you in ANY and ALL scenarios.

and not when you have insurance and all you have to do is type the number in the box and get your money back (when they release it).

And insurance covers this, too.

We can have this circular argument all day long, but I give....I hope my info helps someone.

Sigh.

You don't really know what a circular argument is, do you? Hint: arguing back and forth is not a "circular argument."

But hey, do what makes you happy, and hopefully you won't get scammed. You're taking a huge risk.

For those who don't like taking unnecessary risks, they should get insurance, and ignore Paypal's worthless "protection."

Good luck.

Unfortunately Ebay has been reduced to a scam fest bonanza with all these changes headed by John Donahue. It was one of the major reasons I have close down my Ebay store. Every single day, you will hear cases in the Seller Central forum of folks crying out that they been scammed by buyers. With the Buyer's Protection Program, it's so damn easy to game the system. Even with insurance and signature confirmation, a seller can come out losing both the item they are selling and the money when the buyer files a SNAD and returns a box filled with junk and rocks. PayPal only have to see a return tracking number and automatically refunds the buyer out of the seller's expense. I will literally have to cross my fingers and hope I don't run into these types of buyers whenever I list anything to sell nowadays. Bottom line is don't sell things on Ebay that you can't afford to give away.