• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Novel are you reading right now?

138 posts in this topic

I find myself considering a reread of Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go.

I love that book! Re-read it myself about 6 months ago and it was even better than the first time. I've read most of his novels and this is by far my favorite one.

I'm currently re-reading The Accidental Tourist.

He's one of my favorite authors and perhaps would be my nominee for the best in the business currently, if that hypothetical discussion were to take place (though Jose Saramago may be in that discussion as well, with perhaps Cormac McCarthy). When I first read Never Let Me Go I questioned whether it was his best (The Remains of the Day was in my head), but now I firmly believe it is, and it's one of the better books I've ever read. Was an interesting choice/setting/genre (that was not new to the latter) and I love how he understated those choices and just told a real moving story. I also like a younger author, Christopher Barzak, in how he's able to do the same, though admittedly his sense of alienation is applicable to a more specific, perhaps less relatable situation (I think).

I'm interested in seeing how the film for Never Let Me Go turns out.

I recently went back to his The Unconsoled and appreciated it much more than I had before.

Just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo by Larsson... good plot but some of the translation choices made put me off a bit.

and

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon...one of the best books I have ever read.

Just started 2 short story collections:

Songs of a Dead Dreamer by Thomas Ligotti

and

Occultation by Laird Barron

Both of these are short story collections and great so far.

Up next

Speaks the Nightbird, The Queen of Bedlam, and Mister Slaughter by Robert McCammon

Recently finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

Is this worth reading? I've heard good things about it and had it in my grubby hands this weekend, but put it back on the shelf.

yes. Highly recommended. (thumbs u Chabon has a great knowledge of comics history and incorporates real industry personalities into his fictional tale.

And he won the Pulitzer Prize for this one. I have enjoyed all of his books so far.

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon...one of the best books I have ever read.

I read that back to back with Salvador Plascencia's People of Paper and couldn't look at mortal books for a year. Two of the most accomplished debut novels one will ever run into (though for Zafon it's only his first "adult" novel). I think if I had to choose, I favored Plascencia.

Got word today that Kill the Dead is in the mail.

Just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo by Larsson... good plot but some of the translation choices made put me off a bit.

My only point of contention with that book was the decision to change the title - "Men Who Hate Women" is much more succinct, but I guess the US publisher was worried it would scare off the readers.

I read that back to back with Salvador Plascencia's People of Paper and couldn't look at mortal books for a year. Two of the most accomplished debut novels one will ever run into (though for Zafon it's only his first "adult" novel). I think if I had to choose, I favored Plascencia.

I read Sandman Slim but Amazon lists Kill the Dead as being released on Oct. 5th. UK edition?

I will check out People of Paper...I have Zafon's juveniles though I have yet to read them...I don't really like the kid stuff too much, but I am a first edition completist.

Just finished book one in the A Song of Ice and Fire Series: A Game of Thrones. Highly recommend...I'm completely hooked, will be starting book two shortly. Hopefully George R.R. Martin gets around to actually finishing this series.

Started The Passage yesterday, it's a fun read so far.

Just ordered The Passage and a book called I Am Not a Serial Killer and a new Neil Gaiman edited anthology...don't have time to read them, but I'll get to them eventually.

Just finished book one in the A Song of Ice and Fire Series: A Game of Thrones. Highly recommend...I'm completely hooked, will be starting book two shortly. Hopefully George R.R. Martin gets around to actually finishing this series.

I'm starting to feel like I'm all praise in this thread, but that's the best that subgenre has ever been done IMHO, and the series is prone to cause obsession. By Storm of Swords I was just amazed at how subtle Martin was. Never seen anyone play with multiple povs and turn them on the reader's head like her has. There are probably literally 50 questions I want answered from that series, or rather, confirmation of specific/certain perspectives. The best part is that you have to hunt for the right questions before those extra layers are even revealed. From random descriptions of heraldry, to family trees, not a scene or word is wasted, even if only turning out to be a red herring. I remember completing the first book, and my friend asked me 10 or so questions regarding it that blew my mind and made me go reread it immediately. Storm of Swords left me in awe, and may have the best single chapter I've ever read from any book of any kind.

The first two are awesome in their own right though!

I read Sandman Slim but Amazon lists Kill the Dead as being released on Oct. 5th. UK edition?

I will check out People of Paper...I have Zafon's juveniles though I have yet to read them...I don't really like the kid stuff too much, but I am a first edition completist.

People of Paper is amazing. please let us know what you think (even if you don't agree!)

No, we get galleys/arcs. (re: Kill the Dead)

Lots of good recommendations in here, I'm going to look into several of them.

I'm about 80% done with The Passage. It's definitely entertaining me. I probably shouldn't have called it a "fun" read - what I really meant is that it's engaging.

I spent the last year reading Infinite Jest, which was alternately over- and underwhelming. Didn't like the 'ending' but I guess simply wrapping things up with any coherency would've been too mainstream. Currently rereading the Illuminati Trilogy, and the 7th book of Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series. Guh, the long layoff has made his prose more turgid, but he's still got some wonderful ideas.

Next year I'd like to read Ulysses, The Recognitions and Gravity's Rainbow. That'll be another loooong year.

I didn't care for the first dexter book, guess if I had read it first...

They announced the 13th dresden files to be released in March 2011. Can't wait.

Based on the recommendations here, I'm currently enjoying Blindness.