• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Novel are you reading right now?

138 posts in this topic

I'm about 540 pages into Bleak House. Only 400 more before I'm done. My goal is to finish by Dickens Fair 2010, which is in December, so I'm safe.

Short list to read: Midnighters trilogy by Scott Westerberg, Little Brother by Cory Doctorow, and Thomas Pynchon's latest two books: Inherent Vice and Against the Day.

Just finished the third book in fellow Scandinavian Stieg Larsson's trilogy, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Can highly recommend the series if you're a fan of realistic (and rather brutal) crime fiction :thumbsup:

American Psycho and Grimm's Fairy Tales.

American Psycho freaking rocks (waaaaay better than the movie). It's not for everyone and the style Ellis uses is hard to get past in spots, but if you can get used to his narrative and pacing, it's a fascinating read. If you're into twisted fiction, I highly recommend it.

American Psycho freaking rocks (waaaaay better than the movie). It's not for everyone and the style Ellis uses is hard to get past in spots, but if you can get used to his narrative and pacing, it's a fascinating read. If you're into twisted fiction, I highly recommend it.

+1

I couldn't have put it better than that.

I plan on reading through all his work (thumbs u

Too bad I can't get them on my iPod, I take that thing everywhere. I'll finish Grimm's before American Psycho just because Grimm's is on my iPod.

Recently finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

Finishing up The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

and next on the to-read list is The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

Is this worth reading? I've heard good things about it and had it in my grubby hands this weekend, but put it back on the shelf.

Is this worth reading? I've heard good things about it and had it in my grubby hands this weekend, but put it back on the shelf.

yes. Highly recommended. (thumbs u Chabon has a great knowledge of comics history and incorporates real industry personalities into his fictional tale.

yes. Highly recommended. (thumbs u Chabon has a great knowledge of comics history and incorporates real industry personalities into his fictional tale.

I had picked this up last summer but didn't get the chance to read it yet. Now, I'll have to pull it from my shelf.

Finished China Mieville's Kraken about a month ago. Hoping Richard Kadrey's Kill the Dead is in the mail now, and was bummed to find out that Paul Malmont's next novel, The Astounding, the Amazing, and the Unknown (the sequel to the excellent The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril) was delayed.

Been thumbing through a bunch of other stuff, but nothing holding my interest. I will say that the Transformers movie that needs to be made is written in Transformers Exodus (comes out later this month I think). The writing itself is what you'd expect, but the concept itself is where it's at.

I find myself considering a reread of Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go.