• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 1 in NM "Family Heirloom"

26 posts in this topic

Definitely not NM since you can see minor blunting and transverse spine stresses in the lower-left corner, knocking it down to 9.0/9.2 maximum. The rest of the scan is too blurry to merit that high a final price. Unless it turns out to be at least an 8.5, this was nowhere close to a steal.

8.5 is my feeling too...

But why would someone put up a crappy 84KB scan for a raw $10,000 book unless they were:

1) Stupid

2) Hiding Restoration

3) Hiding faults that show it was overgraded

I wouldn't want to deal with any of the three. shy.gif

24 Hour Auction?? Private Auction??? Terrible Scan??? 3 of Last 10 Feedbacks are NOT Positive?? And it went for $10,000 PLUS...Maybe I should sell my Spidey's!! foreheadslap.gif

exactly what you said!!!!!

plus a CGC'd 8.0 would fetch $10k+, so if this is NM why not do CGC?

i can think of 2 good reasons; it's overgraded or it's been restored. OH, and all sales are FINAL and MO or wire only!!

everything about this suggests a scam, but you never know. and the AF 15 buyer certainly hasn't had time to get a resto check yet, so their feedback may prove to be premature 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You huys are missing the worst part. He's a used cars salesman tongue.gif

Plus his scans are yellower than Heritage ones. They look like someone took a pee on them. Can anyone tell if he the edges are even all there. The scans are cropped really close.

plus a CGC'd 8.0 would fetch $10k+, so if this is NM why not do CGC?

i can think of 2 good reasons; it's overgraded or it's been restored. OH, and all sales are FINAL and MO or wire only!!

Since it was brought up I'll add a plug for myself. I have a CGC'd 8.0 for sale right now!!

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=4gemworks&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

There is something fishy about that seller. I was looking at the Amazing Fantasy 15 that the seller was auctioning recently and asked for a larger close-up scan of the front and back cover. The seller refused. Why do you suppose that was?

8.5 is my feeling too...

But why would someone put up a crappy 84KB scan for a raw $10,000 book unless they were:

1) Stupid

2) Hiding Restoration

There is something fishy about that seller. I was looking at the Amazing Fantasy 15 that the seller was auctioning recently and asked for a larger close-up scan of the front and back cover. The seller refused. Why do you suppose that was?

You know at this price and circumstances, I'd tell the seller I wanted to fly out and pick it up. I suspect they might say no to that as well!

8.5 is my feeling too...

1) Stupid

2) Hiding Restoration

i asked for bigger scan and his resto comments. haven't heard back......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Check out his most recent negative:

"Sold car with broken transmission & brakes as "Drives Excellent" - Beware!"

If he cant grade a car that doesnt move, he probably cant grade a comic.

Because if you look closely beyond the bottom corners of the Amazing Spiderman 1, you'll notice that the cropped image is one of a comic in a CGC holder. They might be stolen images. makepoint.gif

This is the same insufficiently_thoughtful_person that sold AF 15, some dumb car salesman.

From selling crappy cars, mys some damn miracle he is pulling all these Keys out of some Cedar Chest. 27_laughing.gif

More like he is pulling them out his 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Everything is fishy, private feedback, bidder IDs kept private, the cover is the wrong color. Which brings me to the following question:

Who on this earth would send $10K to an anonymous seller with no feedback, no record of the bidding, and a bad scan?

His older brother has purchased key 893scratchchin-thumb.gifbooks over a thirty-two year span 1941 to 1963 from the same drug store. He reads the books once and gives the books to his brother who sells them now on ebay. Assuming his older brother was 10 in 1941 that would make him 71 if he were still alive and he is probably still buying books from that same drug store. I think this guy could have made up a better story than this.