• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting Variants...

48 posts in this topic

So I have started a comic collection about 6 months ago and have been collecting variants of my favorite stories...Batman and Robin #1, Brightest Day #1, Return of Bruce Wayne #1-2, is it worth getting these graded? I feel like it would be worth while now so that they stay preserved for the future...what do you think?

Its the rarity that drives the variant sales. If your shop has 7 then it should tell you something. If you have that insane I must have every issue bug, then just wait a few months and the price will plummet. Only RRPs and 1 to 250 ratios have a good chance at holding value, because their print runs are so low.

FBS has it right.

Patience is the key. In the end, if you wait 6 months, they will be super cheap because everyone will have forgotten them.

In the event, one was expensive, oh well. Buy it. You'll have saved so much from the others (included many of the 1:100s), that it will be worth it. And if that book is still valuable after a year, it's probably got a better chance of some longevity than any of the others.

Pat

Other than Batman 608 RRP, has any variant actually held its value?

I find myself having trouble coming up with an example.

USM #1 white variant (or whatever it is) still fetches a decent amount. Beyond that, I'm struggling.

USM #1 white variant (or whatever it is) still fetches a decent amount. Beyond that, I'm struggling.

True. hm

Walking Dead #1 black lettering variant :insane:

For example...Daredevil Vol. 2 #111 David Aja Variant...a fairly recent variant. Try finding that in HG at a cheap price...or try finding it at all in HG. I think Variants of the long lasting on going titles will hold their value because of completists like myself, wanting every issue.