• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting Variants...

48 posts in this topic

If memory serves, All Star Batman and Robin #1 variant sketch cover hit close to $500 in CGC 9.8 when it was new. Just cruising eBay now, there was one that went for a Best Offer of $175 and another that received no bids starting at $150. I still love the book, but I really wish I had let it cool awhile.

My latest quest is the new Batman and Robin series #1 sketch cover. It spiked at close to $300 and can how be had for $125 give or take.

Over the long haul, I think most of the DC variants will hold their value better than the Marvels. I would stick to ongoing series though. Everybody was nuts for House of M when it was new. Then it was Secret Invasion. Then some other giant crossover event, and so on and so on. At this point all of those are pretty cheap books.

Another thought: Only slab 'em if you're confident in getting a 9.8. 9.6's and down don't bring in the cash like a 9.8 will.

If memory serves, All Star Batman and Robin #1 variant sketch cover hit close to $500 in CGC 9.8 when it was new. Just cruising eBay now, there was one that went for a Best Offer of $175 and another that received no bids starting at $150. I still love the book, but I really wish I had let it cool awhile.

My latest quest is the new Batman and Robin series #1 sketch cover. It spiked at close to $300 and can how be had for $125 give or take.

I think there should be a bit of discernment between RRPs and variants. I would expect an RRP to hold a lot more value than a variant as they weren't 'sold' as regular issues anywhere. I was confused for a while as the ASB&R #1 has the price box on it while other RRPs don't.

ASB&R #8 RRP still fetches around $230 in 9.8.

I think there should be a bit of discernment between RRPs and variants. I would expect an RRP to hold a lot more value than a variant as they weren't 'sold' as regular issues anywhere. I was confused for a while as the ASB&R #1 has the price box on it while other RRPs don't.

The #8 still leaves me scratching my head.

I was thinking the ASB&R #1 was a retailer incentive, am I just getting too old to keep all of this straight?

The #8 still leaves me scratching my head.

I was thinking the ASB&R #1 was a retailer incentive, am I just getting too old to keep all of this straight?

It is classed as a retailer incentive, even though the price and barcode are on the front cover.

#8 is actually a very nice book, I sold a 9.8 last year as I gave up on the title. Wish I'd kept it now.

I really like the Adams coveron #8, its a fascinating piece of art. That being said, I can't see paying the prices you're talking about on it. That's just too much in my opinion.

Of course, my opinion doesn't drive the market. lol

I never "got it" with variants. Seems like people trying to force comics to become collector's items. True collector's items can't be made; they are earned. I sort of wish the whole variant thing would go away, but to each his own.

I would agree, I got caught up in them when I got back into comics a couple of years or so ago, but now I loathe them. I do own a couple, but only because I love the covers and they are in 9.8.

I never "got it" with variants. Seems like people trying to force comics to become collector's items. True collector's items can't be made; they are earned. I sort of wish the whole variant thing would go away, but to each his own.

I hope for variants on some series. Like the upcoming X-23 series I am hoping for some variants of #1. I also like the way WD did a variant for #50 and again on #75.

ok .. I can see why that is good for sure. I guess the variants I don't get are the different color foils ... or the old 25 to 30 cent cover price thing. Maybe those are exciting for people more interested in the actual object than the comic book story itself. I think it started with the Star Wars comic with the different price on the cover. Then obsessed collectors rifled through their collections looking for anything they could find to come up with "rare" collectibles.

That is a huge part of collecting ... the prospect of finding treasure!

:gossip: If people didn't rush out to overpay for brand new variants, and instead waited to buy them, the entire variant market would stand a much better chance of being stable...

Unless, of course, your goal is to pay $50 for that House of M #1 Joe Mad variant....

:whistle:

Don't buy any modern, variant or regular edition, unless you want to own the book. They are never going to be worth as much as they are the day they hit the shelf. You can go to any convention and get nearly any modern book for $1, variants for $5.

$1 a book .. that is more like it!

I also wish some comics could be printed on paper again for less then 4bux, but I guess those days are going going gone

Rarely is a story good enough to deserve the prices they charge per book off the shelf today. I am all for graphic novels, but not all comics deserve that status.

Over the long haul, I think most of the DC variants will hold their value better than the Marvels. I would stick to ongoing series though. Everybody was nuts for House of M when it was new. Then it was Secret Invasion. Then some other giant crossover event, and so on and so on. At this point all of those are pretty cheap books.

Another thought: Only slab 'em if you're confident in getting a 9.8. 9.6's and down don't bring in the cash like a 9.8 will.

Where are you seeing Batman and Robin Sketch Variant for 125.00. Everywhere I look it is still going for close to 200.00

Don't buy any modern, variant or regular edition, unless you want to own the book. They are never going to be worth as much as they are the day they hit the shelf. You can go to any convention and get nearly any modern book for $1, variants for $5.

^^ Couldn't have put it better!

The higher ratio variants seem to hold their value the most in a CGC 9.8. The Uncanny X-Men #500 Sketch Variants still pull over $400, and I just sold a Siege #2 1 in 200 Sketch on Ebay for $250.

If you are looking to buy and sell Variants then it's not worth it. If you are collecting a run in 9.8 then get them slabbed, otherwise keep them in Mylar, or buy them CGC 9.8 from me and help support my two puppies.

doh!

That's true, I see so many of them at Heroes Con. I got a Ultimate 2 #13 White cover for only $3. That book was hitting $100 back then, didn't it?