• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Is "Now" For Selling?

42 posts in this topic

I need to just sell 6 short to the closest LCS for basically the gas money to drive there just to get rid of the stuff. Even that is more of a pain in the then it should be. Hate to just chuck stuff out even if it is 10 cent fodder.

Would you get more as a tax deduction if you donated them?

Getting back to the original question as asked by the OP, I took a look at his registry and he has quality stuff. We are not talking about BA fodder, we are talking about high grade early SA. He should do just fine.

Getting back to the original question as asked by the OP, I took a look at his registry and he has quality stuff. We are not talking about BA fodder, we are talking about high grade early SA. He should do just fine.

Have you even looked at any ComicLink, Pedigree, and Heritage auction results this year, or was this just a generic "high grade Silver Marvels are blue chip all the time" observation? Every one I've watched tells me this is a great time to be a buyer and not so much a great time to be a seller, particularly on the title his registry has the most listed for, Amazing Spider-Man. Sales have been down on high grade issues across the board for about eight months solid now, with a handful of notable exceptions. They're not down drastically from the last 2-5 years, just around 10% - 30%, sometimes a bit more.

Have you even looked at any ComicLink, Pedigree, and Heritage auction results this year, or was this just a generic "high grade Silver Marvels are blue chip all the time" observation? Every one I've watched tells me this is a great time to be a buyer and not so much a great time to be a seller, particularly on the title his registry has the most listed for, Amazing Spider-Man. Sales have been down on high grade issues across the board for about eight months solid now, with a handful of notable exceptions. They're not down drastically from the last 2-5 years, just around 10% - 30%, sometimes a bit more.

"Do just fine" depends on what he paid for them.

And I would still contend that ASM and FF prices have been grossly overinflated for the past couple years. It is probably a market adjustment to all the dumping going on right now, but who knows. I think the market is saturated with HG CGC books relative to the collector-base who can afford to pay high GPA prices - hence GPA is showing a downward trend.

I believe it is a good time to sell, because I believe this downward trend will continue for the foreseeable future. And yes, you might lose your @ss if you bought at the high point, but you might lose less of your @ss if you dump now.

yes, a lot of high grade books have been located and/or manufactured (or both) and encapsulated. unless demand grows in a similar fashion, things have to go down or level off in this sort of ecomony, with the exception being "the best of the best" which has a different set of demand.

Agreed, 'do just fine' depends on what he paid for them. ASM is down but mostly in the late SA to BA, not for the early stuff.

He has an ASM 12 in 9.2 . Not much sales data on this with last sale of 1850 in January 2009. The only relevant sales is in the the 8.5 slot with prices trending up

to a last sale of 1,025 in April of this year.

He has an ASM 18 in 9.2 . Sales data indicate prices down about 10% .

He has an ASM 51 in 9.4. Sales data indicate prices holding steady from 2009 prices and significantly up from 2008 prices.

He has a Strange Tales Annual #2 in 9.2 ! This has no relevant sales data as it hardly ever comes up for sale at this level.

IMHO, he has good stuff. If he bought in 2009 he is about even. If he bought 5 years ago, he should be up.

ASM is down but mostly in the late SA to BA, not for the early stuff.

The early stuff is down too...that's all I really watch on Spidey, it's all I buy. The ComicLink totals this year have been particularly crappy and those don't make it to GPA. :boo:

The early stuff is down too...that's all I really watch on Spidey, it's all I buy. The ComicLink totals this year have been particularly crappy and those don't make it to GPA. :boo:

I'm seeing it too, James. 30-120 in some cases are selling 30-50% down, like the recent ASM 86 9.4

So you're depressed because the books are costing you less? ???

No, I'm not depressed at all. I look at the prices of the books looking for screaming bargains, but I'm unfortunately not buying at the moment as I'm saving for a nice AF15 and have been letting some screaming deals pass me by in the name of frugality. :mad: I continuously upgrade, which is why I look...the unfortunate part is that I'm not buying now when the time appears to be ripest. Maybe it'll keep going down, maybe it won't, tough to say. (shrug)

No, I'm not depressed at all. I look at the prices of the books looking for screaming bargains, but I'm unfortunately not buying at the moment as I'm saving for a nice AF15 and have been letting some screaming deals pass me by in the name of frugality. :mad: I continuously upgrade, which is why I look...the unfortunate part is that I'm not buying now when the time appears to be ripest. Maybe it'll keep going down, maybe it won't, tough to say. (shrug)

So call me arrogant and/or dismissive..., but it's going to get even better :devil:

I appreciate all the comments. I'm not too worried about trying to "regain" anything I may have overpaid . . . most of my books I bought at least 5 yrs ago, some longer. I don't "have" to sell these now, it's just I don't feel the same way I used about "having" to own them and certainly could use the money other places right now.

My question was not meant to try to time the market, or expect top value, I just don't want to sell them off at what could be below fair values simply because convention season isn't a good time to sell anything, or it's just a real slow time to sell stuff in general right now.

Even when I was first trying to figure out what I could expect for most of my books, I couldn't find much else listed that was comparable, and GPA (for these particular ones) have vary sparse info showing maybe 1 or 2 books (if lucky) selling sometime over the last several yrs or more. This just didn't seem like anyway to determine a real trend at all on pricing. When you throw in a couple nice high-grade pedigrees of books that rarely come up for sale in any upper grade, I just was feeling like I'm either gonna really short change myself (and kick myself later) or people are gonna be wondering what I'm smokin'.

So call me arrogant and/or dismissive..., but it's going to get even better :devil:

Is this general pessimism, or do you have historical parallels indicating that to be likely?

My question was not meant to try to time the market, or expect top value, I just don't want to sell them off at what could be below fair values simply because convention season isn't a good time to sell anything, or it's just a real slow time to sell stuff in general right now.

They should sell for around what you paid for them five years ago, so if you're OK with only recouping the original cost and need the money for something else, you should be fine. However, if you sell them now, it'll be during the absolute worst time you could've tried to sell since you first bought them...if they were mine, I'd hold onto them. But if you do hold onto them, if the current slowness is indeed tied to the economy, it could take a few years for it to turn around, so if that's too long, go ahead and sell.

Is this general pessimism, or do you have historical parallels indicating that to be likely?

It is not pessimism but optimism. :banana:

I'm a collector of the title, and I've been priced out of the market for years - I would love to have it affordable again.

No science at all - just a general observation. Look at the volume of slabs being dumped here and the resultant sales and interest. The future looks bright from my perspective!

No science at all - just a general observation. Look at the volume of slabs being dumped here and the resultant sales and interest. The future looks bright from my perspective!

Yea, agreed. I'm hoping it lasts at least a few years...I keep choosing the worst time to go for keys. I should've bought AF15 back in 2002-2004. :mad:

They should sell for around what you paid for them five years ago, so if you're OK with only recouping the original cost and need the money for something else, you should be fine. However, if you sell them now, it'll be during the absolute worst time you could've tried to sell since you first bought them...if they were mine, I'd hold onto them. But if you do hold onto them, if the current slowness is indeed tied to the economy, it could take a few years for it to turn around, so if that's too long, go ahead and sell.

If it`s Spidey`s hold onto till the movie reboot, its only a year and a half away.