• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$4050

18 posts in this topic

Well, the one last summer went for around $3600, so that's a 12.5% appreciation in 8 months. Does somebody have the old "Average Annual Rate of Change" formula handy? I sold my 9.2 for $1386 in March 2000. What's the appreciation rate to $4050?

should be more like $5,000.00, should have had that book DOUBLE pressed Jason/Tom !! But what I want to see is the Star Wars 2,3 and 4 .35 centers in 9.2 or better. Isn't the rare .35 cent-er the Iron Fist 14?

should be more like $5,000.00, should have had that book DOUBLE pressed Jason/Tom !! But what I want to see is the Star Wars 2,3 and 4 .35 centers in 9.2 or better. Isn't the rare .35 cent-er the Iron Fist 14?

There are plenty of 35 cent variants that are probably more rare than the IF 14--at least so far. The IF 14 is a relatively high profile book, so more people are looking for it and more copies make it the market and become visible.

Well, the one last summer went for around $3600, so that's a 12.5% appreciation in 8 months. Does somebody have the old "Average Annual Rate of Change" formula handy? I sold my 9.2 for $1386 in March 2000. What's the appreciation rate to $4050?

I remember talking to you about that sale right after it happened (while we were hammering out the WWT 15 deal). As I recall you were pretty psyched... Direct quote from your email: "Also, given that the CGC NM 9.2 Star Wars 1 35 center sold for $1300, I figure I owe them one." smile.gifsmile.gif

Who knew? confused-smiley-013.gif

Around that same time it was HUGE news when Matt Plourde sold a 9.4 Hulk 181 for $1000 on eBay. It was the first confirmed $1000 sale of any non-variant produced after 1970. The huge write-up in both CBG and Wizard suggested this was a big speculative bubble and people were going crazy over this new-fangled CGC thing...

Of course, the next month Hulk 181 shot up 60% in the new Overstreet...

And somehow I doubt the buyer of that 9.4 Hulk 181 is feeling bad about his purchase now...

The 5 Westerns are the rarest and close behind them are the reprint titles. I have heard that some of the Amazing Spider-man and Peter Parker are amongst the easier ones to find. I have also seen quite a few of the John Carter issues on E-bay. S&B probably has more specific titles and issues to add.

Around that same time it was HUGE news when Matt Plourde sold a 9.4 Hulk 181 for $1000 on eBay. It was the first confirmed $1000 sale of any non-variant produced after 1970.

Hmmm, U$ 179 broke $1k on ebay at least twice pre-CGC, and I seem to recall an article in CBM about other bronze books breaking the $1k barrier around that time. The article was written by Doug Sulipa, and I think he mentioned selling DC 100 Page SS #5, U$ 179, HoS 92 (and I believe Hulk 181) for over $1k before CGC. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Odd, it certainly wasn't talked about when I was collecting Star Wars stuff. Actually, most of the Marvel run was fairly unappreciated. Especially on the Star Wars newsgroups.

Brian

But think about how little quality Star Wars stuff has come out in the last 5-10 years... The BSDs of Star Wars collecting already have their lightsaber prototypes and whatnot. At some point, these books see higher demand because of the higher price... If you have a $100K Star Wars collection, and so does your buddy, and he just paid $3500 for a Star Wars item that you don't have, don't you think you want to go buy one?

The BSDs may not need to chase every $20 comic book because they don't measure their personal worth that way. But when there is a premiere item available and the other BSDs have it and you don't, it gets to be a big frickin deal.

This is one of those cases where higher prices actually mean more demand...

Yeh, that PoTF 2 [!@#%^&^] was really lame. Kenner making manufactured collectibles by "accidentally" changing stuff on the figures.

Needless to say, most action figure SW collectors aren't buying the comics. It's mostly the all-around SW collector.

Brian