• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Hard Cases

32 posts in this topic

They're awful - the cases are slightly larger than the comic book which means that there's plenty of potential for edge wear & dings as the comic shifts inside the case.

It's also a pain to get the book out of the case - you either have to just dump it out onto a table, or hold the case at an angle till the book starts to slide out.

Thanks for the info, guys.

I've heard that they are difficult to use before, so I may not get involved, but I'm still in need of a stiff container (NOT a CGC slab) so I can display my comics on a shelf without developing creases.

I wish I would of read that thread before buying a bunch of egerber supplies... I ended up getting MyLite + current with current full backs. Now I wish I would have bought the Standard sizes. Thats a great thread mschmidt (thumbs u

I've waited 4 years for these guys to offer GA sized holders, never happened so I pretty much gave up. I thought it was a good idea for folks who wanted the protection a hard case like a slab affords, but from what mschmidt said about them, I guess not.

They're awful - the cases are slightly larger than the comic book which means that there's plenty of potential for edge wear & dings as the comic shifts inside the case.

It's also a pain to get the book out of the case - you either have to just dump it out onto a table, or hold the case at an angle till the book starts to slide out.

+1 on this. These things are the most horrible thing ever for storing comics.

The risk of actual damage is much higher than the chance of protecting them.

MUCH higher.

Use one of the Mylar Combos in this thread - you'll end up with something that's almost a sturdy as a CGC case, and can also be used as a frisbee (if you're so inclined):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=169635&Number=3413482

Thanks, I'll look into it.

I am a big fan of the top loaders,and with a bag and board they are very sturdy. :cloud9:

How much for the #227? :popcorn:

Sorry Gav once in the collection it never leaves the collection.By the way it's a stunning 9.4 caliber raw :cloud9:

I find that the toploaders offer great protection for books as long as they are used with a MyLite and the sizes match up. I have purchased the 7 1/2" X 11" toploaders from Hot Flips and they are fine for comics that fit properly into regular-sized MyLites and a full-back (1976 to modern). The comic doesn't slide around the interior of the toploader unless you whack it against a hard surface. However, I really don't like fitting silver-age books or bronze-age comics published before 1976 (slighlty larger dimensions) into a regular-sized MyLite because it's too snug. I prefer using silver-age MyLites and then inserting them into an open-flap Archives Mylar for better protection. If there was a slightly larger toploader that would fit silver-age Mylites I would consider using toploaders for some of my older books. They look great as pictured in Oakman29's photo.

I use magazine-sized topladers for my golden-age books (which are already in a golden-age MyLite 2 or 4). For example:

sensation_14.jpg

I am a big fan of the top loaders,and with a bag and board they are very sturdy. :cloud9:

comicgroupshots.jpg

Are you using poly-bags for the books inside the toploader?

Yes polybags and board,there are different sizes of top loader.I use the silver age loaders for all my books. (thumbs u

Are you using poly-bags for the books inside the toploader?

Yes polybags and board,there are different sizes of top loader.I use the silver age loaders for all my books. (thumbs u

That's what I thought - you seem to have some really nice books, so you should seriously consider dumping the polybags and putting your books in mylar (with true acid-free backing boards) instead. The toploader isn't archival-safe either, so your current combo is kind of a double-whammy when it comes to speedy degradation of your books :foryou:

I do have the acid free backing boards,the polybags are not archival safe?They say on the hotflips website that they are 100% acid free.If the books are in an acid free bag and board,will the top loader even if it isnt acid free harm the book if its got an acid free bag in between it?

Will the combo I have degrade my comics quickly?If so I will change everything tomorrow. :eek:

Quickly isn't really the right way to describe it. It depends on the conditions of the environment where you keep your comics also. Heat, humidity, light all play major factors. Polybags are better than nothing but they aren't archival.

But, I do recommend as Mike says. I pretty much have any book worth over $5 in mylites with HB or FB's.