• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee File copies????

90 posts in this topic

Nick Fury on tape

Ive watched all these Stan Lee Files copies for a few years now, and frankly, Im just not convinced Stan had ever seen these copies, let alone held onto them for 30 years and more. Look at this 3.0 copy slabbed as a "Stan Lee Collection" copy.

C'mon, does anyone ELSE have a problem believing Stan actually bothered to tape up this crappy book IN SIX PLACES no less!? I cant remember off hand, but did Stan even WRITE Agent of Shield? Or, for that matter, ever READ it??

I agree, I was wondering the same... and I think he was involved in the -script outlines, but not the actually writing itself?

Let alone the prices they are asking for them , $1300? I see them go on Ebay at times for not even close to that amount.

Perhaps Im wrong.

Even so, you would have to be a Stan Lee junkie to want these at that price, will they really sell for that much? or even over a few hundred? at that grade?

Zeman

Stan Affiliated himself with the sale, put a history to the comics, and even signed a few in CGCs house!

As for if he even knew of them, who knows, but this NF issue is certainly NOT one of the better ones confused-smiley-013.gif

I know he did state (or Heritage did for him) that he used ALL of the file copies at one point for reference? So if he did, then I suppose a bit of tape would be used by an old timer confused-smiley-013.gif

I cant remember off hand, but did Stan even WRITE Agent of Shield? Or, for that matter, ever READ it??

He might have used them for reference if he didn't have a hand in the creative aspect of the series. At least I would hope that he would have tried to keep continuity.

certain file copies were available in multiples, I think this was one of the original sale items that was a one of a kind, I could be wrong. Does anyone have a list?

I'd love to have a few of them, especially THIS ONE! (But maybe not at that price!)

I think the history is good enough for anyone to warrant a purchase. Think about the above, Captain Marvel, now who is the 'captain' OF MARVEL???

FYI:

The Marvel Super Heroes #12 (selling at $2000) was originally purchased for $690 on Heritage.

I also heard that these were books Stan Lee looked at for reference purposes. Hence the reason you only see low grade copies with cream to off-white pages.

My understanding is that they were his reference copies. He used them to keep track of what a character had done, not because he had actually written them.

But as for the fact that these books command crazy prices, I tend to agree with you. If they were high grade, that would be one thing. But I'm not paying 8X NM guide for a G/VG copy just because Stan Lee once owned it. foreheadslap.gif

Nick Fury on tape

Ive watched all these Stan Lee Files copies for a few years now, and frankly, Im just not convinced Stan had ever seen these copies, let alone held onto them for 30 years and more. Look at this 3.0 copy slabbed as a "Stan Lee Collection" copy.

C'mon, does anyone ELSE have a problem believing Stan actually bothered to tape up this crappy book IN SIX PLACES no less!? I cant remember off hand, but did Stan even WRITE Agent of Shield? Or, for that matter, ever READ it??

I beleive that Stan IS THE MAN, and even people who know nothing about comics, still seem to know who he is. The historical significance is MAJOR.

In sporting terms, I think I read that a Walter Payton game used ball recently went for around the $50k mark, now by your terms, you would ask the seller 'why he didnt just go out and buy a ball, the game used ball is dirty and worn, and you can buy a NEW ball for SOOOO much cheaper, and it's nicer!'

Does that put it in perspective from MY point of view?

You can pay whatever you want for a Stan Lee file copy. I'm not saying it isn't worth it to you. I'm saying it isn't worth it to me, and that *I* won't pay 8X NM guide for a G/VG book just because Stan owned it.

Edgar Church copies don't even get 8X NM guide in many cases, even if they're among the top three nicest copies in existence of a book with fewer than 100 total existing copies. You won't convince me that the Stan Lee File Copy "pedigree" is more historically significant than the Edgar Church (I refuse to call it the "Mile High") pedigree, although I am not going to try to convince you that you're wrong if you think so. It's just a matter of our own personal preferences. It's the same reason I'd pay $16K for an Amazing Fantasy #15 PLOD 9.6, while other people say it isn't worth $6K, let alone $16K, because of the PLOD.

I beleive that Stan IS THE MAN, and even people who know nothing about comics, still seem to know who he is. The historical significance is MAJOR.

In sporting terms, I think I read that a Walter Payton game used ball recently went for around the $50k mark, now by your terms, you would ask the seller 'why he didnt just go out and buy a ball, the game used ball is dirty and worn, and you can buy a NEW ball for SOOOO much cheaper, and it's nicer!'

Isaac Perlmutter is the Captain of MVL now. 27_laughing.gif Long live IKE!!!

I think the history is good enough for anyone to warrant a purchase. Think about the above, Captain Marvel, now who is the 'captain' OF MARVEL???

Avi Arad?

Allen Lipson?

This analogy is not relevant......to make it relevant you should apply a game used football against the original art.......

Not at all. A game used ball is a ball, that has been used in historical activity to make it worth more. A file copy is a used comic with history. Original art has NOTHING to do with this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I would pay $2k for that MSH12, but I would pay a lot more than what it's worth.

Oh, and I wasnt directing my rant at you FFB, just at the SLFC hatters out there thumbsup2.gif There IMHO far more history in this than a hoard of HG comics, wheres the history in that? The SLFC have been used and abused by THE MAN who created the MVL superhero, this is history - period

He is also the single largest shareholder of the company and the ultimate decision maker.

Isaac Perlmutter is the Captain of MVL now. 27_laughing.gif Long live IKE!!!

He's vice-chairman of the board

No worries. thumbsup2.gif Price aside, I think they're cool as hell too, and I'd be proud to own some of them. Just not at 8X NM guide for a G/VG!!! 27_laughing.gif

Not at all. A game used ball is a ball, that has been used in historical activity to make it worth more. A file copy is a used comic with history. Original art has NOTHING to do with this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I would pay $2k for that MSH12, but I would pay a lot more than what it's worth.

Oh, and I wasnt directing my rant at you FFB, just at the SLFC hatters out there thumbsup2.gif There IMHO far more history in this than a hoard of HG comics, wheres the history in that? The SLFC have been used and abused by THE MAN who created the MVL superhero, this is history - period