• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where Dr. Wertham Found Crime And Horror Comics For Seduction Of The Innocent

13 posts in this topic

I posted this in another thread about Comics And The Law here: RAP SHEET - Comics And The Law

But figured many Horror, Crime, and Seduction Of The Innocent collectors might not click through, so I'm posting the info in a separate thread. Please excuse what some might consider a dupe thread, but I've never seen this historical connection made before.

In Seduction Of The Innocent, Dr. Frederic Wertham included many pictures from objectionable comic books. SOTI was published in 1954.

But in 1951, a New York State Joint Legislative Committee issued a report on the Publication of Comics.

Many comics featured in SOTI were highlighted in this earlier report, including some of the more infamous ones, like the picture within a picture "for children who know how to look."

By the way, Wertham was not listed as being on the NY committee. But he did get some mileage out of their work!

100147.jpg

100149.jpg

100150.jpg

100151.jpg

100152.jpg

100153.jpg

100154.jpg

100155.jpg

100156.jpg

100163.jpg

100165.jpg

100167.jpg

100168.jpg

More pics on the other thread...

Cool thread, SOTI never gets old. (thumbs u

After reading OSPG #9 in the late 70's, I wanted to read SOTI and did so through my high school library, of all places. Actually, it's an interresting read.

However, as shown in the last panel that you posted in the first post of this thread, he had a bad habit of misrepresenting panels to fit his theory when explicit panels couldn't be found. :mad:

Source for the moll in the stockings panel?

3242096607_181b7b77ce_b.jpg

Walter Johnson art from Authentic Police Cases 6. He stole it from a Ward panel. He also stole a Baker cover for a western splash page.

4661961992_9d0a0eb3c3.jpg1625487513_4ed0d94121.jpg

I posted this in another thread about Comics And The Law here: RAP SHEET - Comics And The Law

But figured many Horror, Crime, and Seduction Of The Innocent collectors might not click through, so I'm posting the info in a separate thread. Please excuse what some might consider a dupe thread, but I've never seen this historical connection made before.

In Seduction Of The Innocent, Dr. Frederic Wertham included many pictures from objectionable comic books. SOTI was published in 1954.

But in 1951, a New York State Joint Legislative Committee issued a report on the Publication of Comics.

Many comics featured in SOTI were highlighted in this earlier report, including some of the more infamous ones, like the picture within a picture "for children who know how to look."

By the way, Wertham was not listed as being on the NY committee. But he did get some mileage out of their work!

100147.jpg

100149.jpg

100150.jpg

100151.jpg

100152.jpg

More pics on the other thread...

From Women Outlaws 1 "Cattle Kate"

4724473785_26389e74c2_b.jpg

100149.jpg

ya know, we think of comics as kids stuff back then, so strolling past the comics section, a parent (or politician) might look at this selection as a bit "dark" for kids. no?

unrelenting crime and violence in what "used to be" a kids medium. People freak out all the time about similar stuff today. (videogames)

Source for the moll in the stockings panel?

3242096607_181b7b77ce_b.jpg

Walter Johnson art from Authentic Police Cases 6. He stole it from a Ward panel.

Thanks for the pointer. What Ward panel? Do you have a source and image for that?

Thanks for posting that Peanuts cartoon panel - the last time I saw it would've been in the letters section of Peter Bagge's Hate (due to one of the comics on that display having the same name).

Schulz rarely had his finger on the pulse of pop culture, but he did here.

Wertham seemed like the gang leader in the crusade against comic book creativity and free speech. Thanks for posting that issued report by New York State Joint Legislative Committee.

I found it very informative, and love their examples, especially the [font:Arial Black]picture within a picture[/font] panel. That cracks me up everytime, plus, and I don't know why, but every time I look at it I get a craving for a Filet-O-Fish.

200px-Filet-O-Fish.jpg

Could Wertham have been trying to cash in on the impending anti-comic book frenzy that he sensed was coming when he wrote S.O.T.I.? Here's a pic of one of Wertham's cronies.

100419.jpg.84fba6a7e6fd54537102999bbd2c1289.jpg

100420.jpg.1a517e6a637424cf0474a610fdd7b825.jpg